1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Castilian [Austin]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by franchise403, Jan 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

Has anyone lived at the Castilian dorm? If so, how were your experiences? Good? Bad? My sister-in-law (No I won't post pics :p) will be attending UT in the fall and this is her leading choice. We have read ALOT of negative reviews but I just wanted to garner the opinion of the board.

Thanks for the help.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Best off campus dorm by far. Some serious talent over there man, and the cafeteria is pretty good as I recall.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Better than Dobie? There's breakfast and people cleaning your bathrooms at Dobie.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Castillian isn't great, but it's miles ahead of University Towers. Avoid that place at all costs.

5. Baqui99

The problem with Dobie is that it's full of dorks. Castilian is where the real talent resides. Plenty of good parties there as well.

6. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I had a blast at Towers, its a dorm so its not "nice", but rooms are huge in comparison to castillian. only have to share bathroom with roommate and have a huge middle room.

I am sure towers is more expensive though, if i were to do it again id live at one of the new apartments or towers again.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The food is good. The game room has pool tables....I can't remember if there are ping pong tables. There is also workout equipment and maybe an indoor pool but it's been so long that I can't remember for sure about that. The girls there were smokin. The rooms are small and old, but what isn't around Austin? Dobie is a little nicer though, and has that food court down below, and the basketball...it's hard to beat basketball.

I only stayed there during the summers (wasn't a UT student...just did summer programs in Austin).

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Meh, I lived in Jester then North Campus my self. But I liked Dobie and would've stayed there if it wasn't so expensive.

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

If you were staying in your dorm for parties, you were the dork my friend.

Dobie is way nicer. Get a corner suite if you have the money.

I stayed at Jester West and was really happy with the experience but Dobie is A list for off campus dorms.

10. Baqui99

I lived at Jester West on 7th floor my freshman year. Lots of easy pickings at the Castilian though. Hooked up a few times over there.

11. omair

omair Contributing Member

Get San Jac, that place was nice

12. kikimama

kikimama Member

Wow, unnecessary and pointless as my post.

13. danny317

danny317 Member

i lived at castillian my freshman year.

my suite mates kept using all my tp so i ended up using their bar of soap. :D

oh and the plumbing on the floor above busted and flooded my bathroom.

negatives:
    1. expensive
    2. can have jack ass suite mates
    3. laundry room only has a handful of dryers that actually work.

positives:
    1. convenient location
    2. good food

14. flipmode

flipmode Member

overrated. i'd rather live in a dorm or an apartment... prather, roberts, brackenridge are nice, and north/east campus are tons of fun.

15. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

1. my memory of the castillian is not that pleasant. the rooms are flat out small- university dorm sized. the elevators are really slow. the price is way too much compared to other places on west campus. and afaik, they only have one room type.

2. university towers renovated most of their rooms last summer, and will do some more next summer. they look very nice now. i do know that they still have a conglomeration of frat guys who dominate there. literally, 80% of their people are frat members- so expect really loud neighbors.

3. i live in dobie- i hate dobie. being stuck 20+ floors in this building is a horror story. i literally spend 10 minutes waiting and going down on the elevator. stopping (no joke) on almost every floor on your way down has become a past time of mine. the rooms are dirty, the elevators have gum, hair, and random disgusting attributes hanging from the walls. THE INTERNET is ridiculously bad. there is a reason that there are about 12 facebook groups griping about dobie's internet. as i write this, i am sitting in one corner of my room just so that i can get the university's internet. if i could point to one reason i am not coming back to dobie, it would be the internet. it works rarely. the staff knows it, but they do little more than to say "restart your computer". oh btw, i am in a corner suite. only take the route if you know who you will be sharing the suite with. let's just say that there is a distinct possibility that you may get stuck with some weirdos...

4. i suggest you look to on campus housing (the route i will be taking next semester) or look at other west campus alternatives. ALOT of apartments for 12-mo leases are popping up, including Jefferson 26, the Block, the Quarters, Texan West Campus, Vintage, etc. very nice amenities, but it may be hard to meet people...

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

1. dobie isnt bad if you have a corner suite with an ethernet wire
    2. its close to campus, parties here arent bad but its definately quiet