1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bellarmine Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Feb 7, 2023.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The more Rockets basketball I watch, the less I'm hopeful that our style of play will work. Something needs to change and we're not going to win trying to be something we're not. We're a team without a dominant ball-handler up top, we don't have dribblers at every position, we don't shoot well from the arc, and we don't have a point guard that breaks teams down. We live in a pick and roll world and we don't really have guys that are setting good picks... the basis of current basketball.

Sunk cost: we have the players we drafted.

The good news: sometimes we look good for spells.

What kind of offense could we run? Something different. Something where more guys get touches on the ball, something that gets us all involved, something we've seen for spells, something that doesn't involve dribbling, or setting decent picks. I think we should run the Bellarmine style offense coached up by Scott Davenport.

I'm not suggesting we hire the man, only run his playbook. Plus he has a son named Doug that coaches with him and surely knows the way. Regardless, this offense is about minimizing dribbling and picks (where a crafty defensive player can lift an errantly held ball during the interaction between ball-handler and pick setter who've collapsed the space at that pick-point on the court)

Here it is in all of its Scissor Action, big passing from the free throw line (Sengun or Usman are perfect for this), side entry passing, cutting off the wings, off-ball motion galore, dribble (our worst nightmare right now) eliminating ways... with all freedom to take open lanes towards the basket. I think we should be running this immediately without regard to what we've been doing so far this year. The fluidity of ball movement prevents the ball hawking we see every game from other teams and everyone can get some action every play we run. Please watch this if you will, I think your imagination of how we fit this offense might match mine:

And another breakdown:

I've gotten to the point where I believe that being better than the Warriors are at running a three point offense is never going to happen. Time to evolve this team.

#1 don grahamleone, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    WestendMassive, Bo6, theDude and 10 others like this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I watched this…one or two weeks ago (recommended by YouTube algorithm), dunt know why at that time didn't think it relevant…
    Yeah, it should have worked, but without 1) a HC with an iron fist 2) a vocal leader 3) putting aside backcourt's big egos n focusing on team performances…it's tough
    imo…if our kids run this ballarmine offense well, each player's strengths could be maximized, we can win more games, and senguard, JC, tari will be the three stick out more n benefit from the system more.

3. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

This is very good, thanks for bringing this here.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

I think we are running a basic offense that tries to generate the most efficient shots because of the skill level of our current squad.

I think this current squad is nothing but a temporary placeholder.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Points for the insightful idea but the very moment the lottery happens this year I expect to start seeing big moves. This team needs a cerebral PG, a new coaching staff, and a couple of fresh veteran mentors that have been on winning teams.

I don't have any confidence that the team would listen to the current staff if they tried to implement this.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We need to draft that #13 guy.

Jontro likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My problem is that we don’t even get to the whole shooting an efficient shot because we’re turning it over ahead of time.

Kelvin Cato?

Easy likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

And that's more do to the fact that a lot of our roster can't legally drink.

I think too many folks are making the assumption this is the squad of the future when anyone of them will be packaged. Wake me up when it's the offseason so I have a better idea of the Rocket's future.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wouldn't that imply you wait for them to be able to legally drink?

You are literally saying here it's because they are all very young.

10. dmoneybangbang

Also that half our roster may not be on the team next season.

Too many folks are penciling in this current squad as the future squad.

11. fchowd0311

I mean there are like 3 guys I would say are for the future and the rest are projects to see what we have. I've stated before we need to consolidate our young guys(Green, Sengun, Bari maybe KPJ and maybe Tari and KMJ) and let go of all the other projects for vets. Still have a young core but surrounded by experience.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Offenses are designed to create good looks.

We get good looks, but we can't hit shots.

I am sorry to say that this is less of a coaching issue than people want to believe.

13. fchowd0311

Lol our off guard creates almost 70% of his own makes. Compare that to most other off guards like Mathurin who scores 30% of his makes unassisted.

This team doesn't generate easy looks much.

PuzzledFan likes this.
  14. j@amc

j@amc Member

NBA offenses need this kind of innovation and creativity. There are principles here that would make the Rocket's offense much more cohesive.

But, you have to be in shape to run anything like the Bellarmine offense. Our lagging, standing, and no-commitment-to-the-break style fits our personal fitness level better.

don grahamleone and Shark44 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I guess its anything but Sengun for you people. Is it a fear of or disdain for the foreigners dominating you or what?

Every system requires discipline and coaching.

Sengun system requires just the bare minimum of coaching and discipline.

Just put Sengun on ball and he will find guys, he always does. Just give him the ball and move, cut, set screens, and never forget the rule No 1: give Sengun the ball - ALWAYS.

16. dmoneybangbang

I don't see a franchise player yet, so I feel everyone and every pick is on the table to be used in a trade package. This is a Rocket's fan forum so of course it's fun to talk about what we should do, but I just feel like it's just speculative talk until this offseason.

Who knows.... maybe we trade Jabari, KPJ, Tate, and a future FRP for Dejounte Murray and Collins. That's not an endorsement of that particular move, just that who/what the Rockets become next season maybe a lot different.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Stuff like this is why I want players with high BBIQ's and can pass. Obviously they need to be able to shoot and defend (hopefully), but I want great decision-makers and passers at every position on the floor. But in any case, you're not going to be able run this offense without completely brainwashing the And1/AAU/highlight chaser mentality first. These dudes play selflessly and aren't looking to break people down one-on-one at every point. Not to mention, you have to be in shape to run an offense like this in an NBA game (longer game, tougher defenses). Either that or go deep into the roster. They look like they're running a marathon out there - bunch of Steph Currys/Reggie Millers.

don grahamleone and Easy like this.
  18. fchowd0311

I don't know what your standards are for what constitutes a franchise player but currently our roster looks like two guys that will probably reach around prime Booker and Sabonis level with a few more years of experience or even a couple of more years. At least that is what their trajectory implies. That is a start in terms of having definitive core pieces.

19. WestendMassive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

don grahamleone and Easy like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself? lol.