1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Beatles - Get Back| Documentary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Oct 15, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Tons of new footage of the band. With Peter Jackson directing.

Looking forward to this. Sadly Ringo and Paul are getting older. I'll always love this band for so many reasons personal and simply because of the music obviously.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you haven't yet, watch "McCarthy 3-2-1" on Hulu. It's him and Rick Rubin going through many songs and how they came to be. It's really quite amazing.

TheFreak, bobrek, peleincubus and 2 others like this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its crazy that footage like this has been sitting in a vault for 50 years and nobody bothered to do anything with it till now! i think peter jackson said there was like 60 total hours. id watch all that s***!

and im amazed at the clarity of the video - it looks like it could have been shot recently. if you never saw peter jacksons WWI documentary "they shall not grow old" i would strongly recommend. im assuming he used the same technology in "get back" that he used in that movie. he took 100 year old footage and cleaned it up in a way that made it look much more recent. it was incredible to watch.

Buck Turgidson and peleincubus like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Been looking forward to this for a while. Looks great.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can't wait for this, I mean Peter Jackson and Beatles footage of them making an album.....ALL IN BABY!

DD

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How old do you think this footage is? :)

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The footage was originally used to make the Let It Be movie, so all the highlights we’ve seen ... which is also why the quality is so outstanding, bc it was filmed for a movie. So, aside from gaining any copyright issues to re-use the footage, it likely was also a matter of interest (or disinterest) in using “edit-room floor” footage. It’s 55 hours of original footage.

Jackson says his first edit got it down to 18 hours. Only until recently were there platforms to release stuff that was so long, esp when the best of it was already released as a movie. He says he could convince streaming services nowadays to produce it, but not really prior.

jo mama likes this.
  8. jo mama

or all the lowlights, considering what a downer let it be was.

thats what im talking about. there are millions of beatles fans who would watch them picking their noses, drinking tea and tuning their guitars for 55 hours. its crazy to me that all that footage was unreleased for so long.

not just the beatles, but any footage from bands from that era - id love to see all of it.

that velvet underground documentary just came out too - im thinking of getting apple+ to watch along that that rick rubin/mccartney thing.

BigM and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. jo mama

2021-1969 = 52 years old

but you can tell that jackson did some kind of digital restoration of the film, similar to what he did with his WWI documentary. its looks so clean and crisp.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m just messing with you. There was definitely some clean up like they’ve done in recent years with their other stuff. The penny lane/strawberry fields videos look fantastic for example. But they filmed it well to begin with. The WW1 original footage restoration is really magical.

jo mama likes this.
  11. jo mama

anyone else watching?

heres my thoughts after episode one...

im a huuuuge beatles fanatic and i also play in a band so i did enjoy watching them rehearsing and seeing the band dynamics. but i think to the casual viewer or even the beatles fan who is not also a musician, this is too much. im fascinated watching them at rehearsal, but at the same time even i was thinking it was slow at times.

some of that stuff was uncomfortable and you also see how much time they wasted just f***ing around. they keep talking about how theyre on a deadline but then they spend so much time goofing off.

paul comes off as domineering, especially towards george. they can barely look at each other. although paul brought in "get back" (its awesome that they captured him writing that from scratch) and "long and winding road", he was also throwing a lot of lame stuff out there...what john called his "granny music"

george is just moody and grumpy as hell - he shouldnt have even been in the band at that point - and he was also bringing in some of the best songs and john and paul didnt want to do them. my favorite part of the entire movie was them jamming on "all things must pass". it makes no sense that they didnt make that a beatles song! so i can see his anger at his songs being ignored in favor of songs that were not nearly as good.

john seems like hes just trying to keep the mood light. but he also seems like he doesnt really care anymore. he has resigned himself to the fact that the band is nearing its end and hes trying to end on a positive note. he seemed like the one initiating a lot of the goofing around and he was always showing up late. i think him and yoko were doing heroin at this time so that might be a factor in his blase attitude too. also, the footage here is another great reminder that he is really underrated as a guitar player.

ringo - rock solid on the drums. some of that stuff, when theyre playing it for the first time ringo already has the beat you hear on record figured out. he was just so instinctively spot-on. the ultimate "feel" drummer. you also get a sense of his actual "chops" in some of those clips. he is doing some really creative fills. you can also see what a good bandmate and how laid back he was. and theres a clip where linda says how he is the easiest one to talk to.

#11 jo mama, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I thought this was a magnificent documentary. I learned so much. Here is what I thought:
    • Paul was not as domineering as the original Let it Be cut indicated. He had to tip toe around George and John's indolence at first and he clearly didn't want to be in charge.
    • Paul was incredibly talented. In addition to seeing him compose several stone cold classics on the spot, his bass playing, singing, piano playing and even guitar work was stellar. Just as a singer, I can't think of anybody showing this kind of range *just on these sessions.*
    • The Beatles were funny. Like, more funny than Peter Sellers funny.
    • The songwriting, and otherwise, connection between Paul and John was real. George couldn't get inside that. The "Two of Us" rehearsal where this connection was so evident seemed to immediately precede George leaving. The flowerpot scene also showed that these guys (in their f-ing 20's!) knew that they needed to treat him better.
    • The rooftop concert gives lie to all that bullsh!t that they weren't a good live band. This is where you saw Lennon come alive and where you understand that he was the ultimate leader of the band.
    • Ringo was the glue of the sound and of the band.
    • Yoko didn't break up the Beatles. Allen Klein did.

ima_drummer2k, ArtV, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

waiting for the right time to watch. probably over the christmas holiday when I have time off work so I can get Disney + for this and the start of the Boba Fett series.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was INCREDIBLE - like being a fly on the wall while the Beatles wrote historic songs....highly recommend it.

DD

BigM likes this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah this definitely has to be my favorite movie or series of the year. Just incredible footage and I'm not the biggest Peter Jackson fan but the way he put this one together. Damn almost 60 years in the vault, sucks for the die hard Beatles fans that are now dead that never got to see this.

jo mama likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Absolutely fantastic. This is definitely a project for the fans but I think even casuals can get something out of it. Certainly anyone who appreciates a good documentary. My wife falls into the casual camp and she watched every minute like it was a soap opera. You’re watching the greatest rock band of all time produce an album out of almost nothing. It’s historically incredible. Really they’re making 2 albums because most of Abbey Road is being demoed in the process.

Paul comes off great here, certainly compared to the original film. He’s the one trying to keep this thing going. He’s invested. Ringo is hungover half the time, George wants to get out and John is present but too stoned to be the leader.

The biggest disappointment is that there isn’t one of these for pretty much all their albums. 8 hours of the Rubber Soul/Recolver sessions? Yes please.

17. VanityHalfBlack

I think the coolest looking one was Ringo. Paul out here looking like Serpico lmao, or Serpico got the look from mccartney, also was Paul doing coke between sessions? Dude be rubbing his teeth constantly.

BigM likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

Yoko Ono Be lookin fine though. I’d hit that 8 days a week like a mug.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

[​IMG]

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just like Lennon.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.