1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Beastie Boys are no more

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, May 4, 2012.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow. Extreme sadness over here. :(

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

man first levon and now mca.... ****in' a!

paul's boutique>check your head>ill communication is as great a 3 album run as you'll find.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm sorry to hear about this. I never really considered myself much of a fan but turns out I know alot of their songs. They were that popular back in the day that you could not miss seeing or hearing them. It is really horrible to end this way. I was reading he had a 91% chance of beating it. Coincidentally, the Hall of Fame 2012 induction ceremony is playing on HBO tonight.

4. VanityHalfBlack

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hh1cNxtQhsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this is the most devastating celebrity death that I have ever experienced.

Adam Yauch was the thinker, the spiritual force, and the creative juggernaut behind the legendary beastie boys, spanning 4 decades of music and multiple genres from punk, hip hop, funk/jazz fusion, and rap/metal/rock. he was the george harrison of hip hop, exploring buddhist themes within his songs and striving to be a better person on this planet through altruistic deeds of kindness and compassion, as well as becoming an activist for social justice through his Tibetan Freedom Concerts and Milarepa Foundation. Even in the late stage of his life and career, he shifted gears to become an independent film mogul with his Oscilloscope Laboratories Distribution company that he founded. he was the longtime band video director under the name Nathanial Hornblower (when he wasn't launching the career of Spike Jonze)

suffice it say, he had a huge influence on my life and inspired me and many others around the world to try and be better people.

I have posted tons on my social networking page and the official message board, pretty much the only other forum I frequent. I was posting frequently in 2004 when I had the joy and opportunity to be able to participate in the concert documentary Awesome I F$#kin' Shot That, which was "Nathanial Hornblower's" magnum opus in which 50 audience members were given cameras and were told to film the Madison Square Concert "with love and passion"

I was able to meet MCA through the process and even bumped into him a few times in New York City and he was the kindest, most humble, down to earth genuine dude you could meet. i considered him an idol and true inspiration.

Rest In Peace Yauch

I Give Thanks For The World As a Place To Learn
    And For This Human Body That I Know I've Earned
    -Bodhisattva Vow

[​IMG]

Coldplay Tribute to MCA and the Beastie Boys last night in Hollywood Bowl
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LVr4UP9ntLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cBVGoj9xEoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#65 across110thstreet, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The Beastie Boys have been around as long as I have been into music. Paul's Boutique in junior high, Check Your Head and Ill Communication in high school, and Hello Nasty in college. Every single one of those albums was phenominal and each one blew me away when I first heard it. The Beastie Boys were the epitome of cool and cutting edge for the majority of the era in my life when that really meant something...anyone who was a music/hip-hop fan at that age in that era probably agrees. And MCA seemed like the heart and soul of the band. A truly talented and hilarious artist who seemed like an even better person. When other artists have died I haven't ever really felt anything other than shock/surprise but it's never really made me feel sad on any real level. In the case of MCA, I've been a bit surprised that I actually feel sad about it.

RIP, Mr. Yauch. It has truly been a pleasure listening to your music all of these years.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I saw them at the Summit in the Fall of 86 and this was the first concert I actually was able to drive myself too I had just got my drivers license in the summer of 86. I listened to License to Ill almost non stop that whole school year. It hits home when you grow up on the music of these artists and then you realize their great careers are coming to an end.

Thank You MCA and RIP

8. VanityHalfBlack

I'm still sad :(

1 person likes this.
  9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

your words are true but he became a vegan and vowed to stay away from drugs and alcohol in the 90's when he was in his mid-20's. his cancer of the parotid (salivary) gland spread to his lymph nodes and his health deteriorated quickly after that. a statement by his mother confirms that he was hospitalized on april 14th, the day the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony was taped.

watching it last night, you can see the heavy hearts of the presenters Chuck D and LL CoolJ, as well as his two bandmates Mike D and Adrock. it was nice to see the "in memoriam" dedication at the end of the aired segment.

it just doesn't look right seeing only two Beastie Boys :(

#69 across110thstreet, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is really bad news. I thought I read that the cancer was completely in remission last year, but that's obviously untrue. He packed a lot of living in his time. I saw the Beastie Boys at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio in 1998 for the "Hello Nasty" tour and they were just incredible. Rest in peace, MCA.

11. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

RIP MCA :(. I'll still fight for my right :(

12. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

This picture. Jeez...

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Unaired clip from Chappelle's Show:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BAv5xSkj7H0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/42106181" width="400" height="265" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>