1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bad News Bears Remake

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Chance, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I put this in D&D because I hope there are people on both sides here.

OK. I usually LOVE remakes. And I am looking forward to this one. But after buying the Bad News Bears from 1976 and watching it a couple times I want to come out and say some stuff.

I know they are going to dick this up. Companies are such p*****s these days that they would never release something as raw and, well, excellent, as the original film.

I know the new one will have its closing scene at a Hooter's. BFD. I hope the kids are drinking beer.
    I hope Kelly Leak smokes cigarettes.
    I hope Buttermaker smokes cigars the whole movie.
    I hope there is no moral ending.
    I hope Tanner gets off his racial blast.
    I hope Lupus tells the Yankees to take their apology and trophy and stick it up their ass.
    I hope the groundskeeper is a bull-dike militant lezbo.
    I hope Amanda hits on Buttermaker and Buttermaker is oblivious to it.
    I hope they hint that when Amanda loses at ping pong that she has to screw Kelly.
    I hope the fat kid doesn't diet at the end.
    i saw that there was a kid in the new one in a wheelchair. I hope they pick on him.
    I also hope he holds his own and fires back at them with a quick wit.
    I hope the whole team cusses like sailors.
    I hope Amanda gets hit in the chest and makes a remark about her t*tties.
    I hope Buttermaker drinks.
    I hope he drives a convertible and pours bourbon in a beer.
    While he is driving.
    I hope he drinks in the dugout during games.
    I hope he calls the fat kid a fat ass and doesn't apologize.
    I hope he cusses the kids out.
    Frequently.
    And I hope all of this happens and the movie gets a PG.

Of course NONE of this will happen and we will see that we have lost our collective minds as a country. Too much listening to the religious right and the idiot left. Too much sensitivity. I would like you guys thoughts on this.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the initial post. If the movie doesn't do all of these things it will be an inferior movie, and most likely will be anyway.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Let's hope that the studio is more interested in making a good movie then gaining wide approval from parental groups. I remember when movies were about the movies, not agendas. Those were the days!

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Chance, you know way too much about this movie.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Couldn't you have said PC Police Left or something? They're both idiots in their own way.

Anyways, from the teaser, it looks like all the drunk Buttermaker stuff will be there. Billy Bob called that fat kid in Bad Santa a fat ass, I think. But that movie was R when it came out. The writers of that movie are writing this one though, so there's hope. Also, the director is Richard Linklater, who directed School of Rock, which was PG-13 but I can't recall what was so PG-13 about it. Of course, he also directed Dazed and Confused which was an R flick.

I don't know how they'll handle Tanner.

As for the rating, PG-13 didn't exist back then and PG would fly for movies like Sixteen Candles which had nudity in them, but I'm guessing you already knew that.

I want it to be rude and crude, but I don't want the exact same movie, otherwise, what's the point? I think it needs to explore what's relevent today. For example, one of those kids needs to be downloading p*rn and handing it out.

6. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

How could you forget the parent from hell, who embarrases and puts the smack down on his kid in front of everyone. You got to have him in the movie too.
    I also hope we hear someone mention the pill.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, good. Another remake. Haven't been enough of those lately.

:rolleyes:

8. Chance

That's right! The little girl had a friend on the pill! And the father smacked that kid down and didn't get arrested.

I am not saying that the things in the movie are acceptable, I'm saying they are a glimpse at reality. It's up to parents to tell their kids not to behave that way, but don't take it out of the movie.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How is it even possible that this movie won't suck?

10. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw the original recently and kept saying to myself, "Not a chance in hell this movie would get made today."

Oh, and if they have the scene where, after muffing a fly ball, Ahmad takes off all his clothes and sits in a tree, people are gonna lose their minds.

11. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. Oski2005

I just realized I never saw this in it's original form, IE not on regular tv or basic cable. So I went out and purchased it for $8 at Hastings.

13. Chance

Good buy O. You'll Love it!

14. Houstonrocketss

Tool.

15. Chance

"Tool" was a paraphrasing of this:

Skinny as a rail?

Are you sure you met Clutch? Clutch and skinny are two words I wouldn't put in the same sentence - except to but the word ISN'T between them.

He's rather, um, portly

implying that you must've met a person claiming to be Clutch but not really clutch.

16. Oski2005

I watched this late last night and here's my interpretation of some of you points Chance.

I don't think the grounds keeper was a bull dike militant lesbo, she was just ugly. When she's handing out equipment to Buttermaker, she's complaining about the dad suing so that the Bears could be allowed in the league. She then compares that to title 9, but says "at least the girls that came could play" implying that it wasn't a good thing, but at least the girls who joined the league had skills.

There was a moral at the end. When Turner slaps his kid on the field, Buttermaker realizes that he's heading in that same direction and puts in all the crappy players in the last inning because it's not about winning at all costs.

I don't think they hint that Amanda has to screw Kelly if she loses at air hockey. I mean, that devious look could mean just about anything. Maybe if he winked at her or something. I know I wasn't born then, but I'm pretty sure the idea of 12 year olds getting down was beyond taboo in 1976. Also, right away you find out it's a date to a Stones concert.

Did anybody else think Mrs. Turner was a MILF?

17. Chance

I took some liberties between the book and the movie.

18. Oski2005

Spoilers of the changes ahead

The closing scene was still on the field. Hooters was after their first win I believe and at one point, all the kids, the girls, and Billy Bob sing along to Clapton's "Cocaine."

I don't think I ever saw Kelly smoke, but he did ask Buttermaker for a beer or a cigarrette when he first meets him.

I think He smoked Swisher Sweets the whole movie. That's the only brand I know of that has a wooden tip.

Same ending

I don't think Tanner ever used a racial slur, of course this on was raised in the 2000s

the nerdy kid who keeps the stats tells the Yanks to shove the trophy up their ass and then Tanner calls them all b****es

The groundskeeper did seem like a lesbo and Buttermaker calls her Mr. "whatever her last name was."

It always seemed to me Amanda was more interested in Buttermaker as a dad, more obvious here.

Kelly gives the same look to Amanda when they make the bet (a skateboarding contest) but instead of a Stone's concert, they go see a skate band called the Bloodyfarts. Buttermaker shaparones and goes crowd surfing.

The fat kid is dieting the whole movie, the Atkins Diet. So he "has" to constantly eat protein. At the Hooters, he has like 6 or 9 hot dogs and Tanner says "i thought you were on a diet" and he goes "look, no buns!" And Tanner notices he has ketchup on his dog and says something like "my dad says the only people who put ketchup on hot dogs are people in mental institutions and Texans."

I don't think wheelchair kid is ever made fun of, but he's pretty funny and puts down other people who complain about stuff. One kid says something like "my foot hurts" and he goes "oh your foot hurts, well I'm in a f*cking wheel chair" At one point, they are walking somewhere and Buttermaker tells him to hurry up and says "can't you put that thing in 4th gear or something, lets go."

It seemed like only Tanner and the Fat kid cursed. Often anyway.

I don't think amanda got hit in the t*tties but she did talk about them coming in and all of that.

Yes, Buttermaker drinks.
    And he he drives a convertible and pours bourbon in a beer. He's a bit of a ladies man and sleeps with the Marcia Gay Harden who plays a lawyer where Whitewood was a councilman and a dude in the first one. *funny spoiler, might want to save this one if you see it* Her son sees him trying to sneak out of the house in the morning and asks why he's there and says "I was checking to make sure your glove was oiled. It's very important." and the kid says you even come to our houses or something and he goes "yeah, I'm everywhere"*spoiler*

I don't remember if he drank during the game, but he definately smoked.

I think he called him a ******

He did cuss the kids out.

It's PG 13

There were things about Billy Bob's Buttermaker I liked over the original, but when you think about it. They made him too cool even though he was an exterminator who only played 2/3s of an inning in the majors, he seemed to get a lot of hot chicks.

It seems they went out and got ball players instead of actors for Amanda and Kelly. I know for sure about Amanda because I read about her on ESPN. She's some girl who the coaches of her baseball teams never let her pitch and when she got chances to, she always dominated. So she started playing softball where she could play more and became a catcher because she was the only player on her team who could throw from home to 2nd. Nothing personal, but she can't act. Her lines where always flat and she had no personality. She also had broad shoulders for such a young girl. Same goes for Kelly, but the kid did get the original Kelly's run down. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks Kelly ran kind of funny. This kid had it down.

19. Oski2005

Oops, I just noticed this had been started in the D&D. Completely forgot about that.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Yeah complaining about the Bad News Bears remake is the liberal outrage of the day.