1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Atlantic - China Avoiding Blame by Trolling the World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure , had China locked Wuhan down weeks ago , it would have saved the world a lot of trouble ..... But can you imagine a government locking down an entire state / province ? Even China ... No one wants to over react.

Honestly I don't think anyone realized how bad it could get. Particularly those that were so far removed from ground zero. It's half way around the world , no threat to me .... until it is.

I'm almost certain that world governments will be much better prepared for this scenario going forward. They may even over react in the future on the side of caution rather than let things get out of control.

Hindsight is always 20/20 .... but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly, How long did it take New York and California to lock down?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

There is probably no way that China could have prevented it from getting out of the country. Slowed it down? Yes. Completely stopped? No.

Remember that there is an incubation period and it would have taken time before they connected the dots and realized they had a new virus and what they were dealing with - they would not know that until they had seen enough cases and even then would have had to do work to identify the virus and create a test for it. They had to start from 0 knowledge.

Even if they did everything perfectly, by the time they realize what they were dealing with, and shut everything down, the virus most likely would have gone international.

T_Man likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

The people who are loudest when it comes to complain about China's slow responses are the ones who have been the least vocal about the slow responses in this country. Typical Trump supporters.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and T_Man like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They aren't anymore locked down than we are in Texas.

People are still free to go to work and other places unrestricted outside of a curfew in places.

The only things the states have done is close down "Large gatherings" , closed bars , nightclubs gyms and put restrictions on restaurants capacity limits or limited them to take out only.

For the most part the people have done the shut down on their own - cept maybe the drunk spring breakers , people are self isolating in their homes.

I've stated multiple times - Anyone but Trump as long as it isn't Bernie .... but whatever floats your boat.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bars and restaurants in Austin are shut down. Eating in a restaurant is not allowed. Only delivery, curbside pickup, and take out are allowed. Austin did this before Abbott issued a statewide directive ordering the same after much criticism for not having done so. Abbott has been terrible. Young people were going to Port Arkansas and other places for spring break in Texas because Abbott failed to act in order to prevent it. As a result, a lot more people will end up with the virus that wouldn’t have if they had exhibited some common sense. Little testing has been done in Texas. When there is widespread testing, I’m afraid the number of infected people will shock Texans.

joshuaao and T_Man like this.
  8. Caprah

Caprah Member

China destroyed millions of lives not with just sickness but massive final ruin.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Like I said above - people were acting before the states directives , aside from a few foolish younger people who feel like they are ten foot tall and bullet proof (Been there , done that).

Once it became apparent that this virus was in our midst people started acting on their own behalf .... I really took notice when the schools were canceled. That to me was the "this **** is serious" moment.

And we aren't in a "total lockdown" situation .... we are still pretty much free to move about as we please , there are no travel bans within the US. Might not be the intelligent thing to do but we do have that option. Martial law hasn't been declared and the military isn't in the streets forcing people to stay in their homes or anything of the sort.

I don't disagree that the numbers will likely rise significantly .... but many states are already seeing no new cases the past two days and the nation wide increase in numbers were half today what they were yesterday in terms of new cases - most of those in NY state 1974 and 1952 new cases the past two days while the nation wide numbers were 4,825 new cases yesterday and 2,684 new cases today a 45% decline - and a nationwide total of 26,892 and 348 dead.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

That 45% decline is good news - Seem's to me what we are doing is working about as well as you can expect in a country with so much freedom of movement as we enjoy - and continue to enjoy virus or no virus.

Couple weeks this disaster will be behind us. People just need to continue to isolate and we can get back to normal life sooner than later.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your description of these state's stay at home orders?

California’s ‘stay at home’ order: what it means for business
    https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/n...tay-at-home-order-what-it-means-for-business/

New York, Illinois Governors Issue Stay At Home Orders, Following California's Lead
    https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ov-cuomo-says-100-of-workforce-must-stay-home

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Testing is the bottleneck

We only test 100 people a day
    we cannot be happy with only 90 new cases
    That is why this is such a wild ride

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

trump spoke about drive through testing at Walmarts, CVS and other locations.

btw, for all Texas south of San Antonio...

Blessings to those medical personnel and places that donate their properties for local testing to occur.

13. NewRoxFan

trump still has not executed the Defense Production Act... so many medical professionals need it to happen.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah but the virus came from CHINA. That is a nation not a race. Meanwhile more important **** is going on.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was just checking that in total . . .less than 10K test have been made in Texas (Closer to 6K at the moment)

We have 554 cases.
    Which is closing in on 1% rate

With 28.7 Million people . . . that would have us at 287000 cases

Rocket River

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Stay inside and let's beat it into submission.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is tragic and another reason the world has to punish China. Their global influence continues to ruin everything for everyone.

-edit- I should point out, AT NO POINT did any US leader call it the ASIAN VIRUS. That's fake news so I don't want to hear that bullshit. Also, if you think all Asians are Chinese that's racist too! Who's the racist now?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Soft Martial Law to protect us . . . .. . . .

Rocket River

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So we should punish China for our people being stupid racists?

I am racist because people in this country (on the far right mind you) can't tell the difference between Asians and Chinese?

Please, you have to be kidding. You are not that dumb.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You're dumb for thinking you can teach stupid people how not to be stupid. Never gonna happen.