1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Wood’s return, Wall-Oladipo dynamic headline Rockets second-half storylines to watch:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

The rest of the NBA may be using the All-Star break to rest and unwind, but Rockets head coach Stephen Silas won’t have that. He’s on a mission to stop Houston’s bleeding. His team is in the midst of a slide of epic proportions, tumbling down the standings following the injury to center Christian Wood. The Rockets have looked lacking on both ends of the floor for about a month now.

“It will be very much in the front of my mind,” Silas said. “I don’t stop trying to figure it out, don’t stop thinking of ways I can be better and help, different coverages, offensive sets that we can run. This All-Star break, I’m not putting this losing streak at the back — it’s in the front. That’s just me and who I am. I’m a problem solver at heart, and we got a problem. We got some days to figure it out. I’m gonna spend some time and really dive into a bunch of film and study.”

Still, there are reasons for optimism. Wood is returning along with second-year player Kevin Porter Jr., who was recalled from the G League. Eric Gordon and Danuel House will have more time to recover from their own injuries.

“The way we been losing, we do need a break,” Wall said. “To clear our minds, find ourselves and get guys healthy. Try to get a full team.”

This team can go in a few different directions once the season resumes, but here are four important storylines to follow.

How will Christian Wood — and the Rockets — look with him back in the starting lineup?
    On All-Star Sunday, Wood posted a video on his Instagram of what appeared to be him working out in a high school gym. Wood only showed 15 seconds worth of catch-and-shoot drills; his shoe choice, high-top Kobe IXs, stood out more to me than the work itself.

But after missing Houston’s last 13 games — all losses with a right ankle injury — even those 15 seconds are enough to generate some kind of intrigue. The entire league knows just how far this team has plummeted in his absence. The Rockets has gone from hovering around the playoff spots to a woeful 11-23 record, a full six games out of the 10th seed. Their depth has been exposed, a lack of rim protection has forced them to play small, the defense has had one lapse too many and their offense has completely fallen off a cliff.

Even still, as discussed in last week’s mailbag, the Rockets are taking extra precaution with last offseason’s major free-agent acquisition. When Wood spoke prior to the break, he wanted to play and felt he could help his team during their skid. But head coach Stephen Silas knew better than to rush him back to the floor. He had been around Stephen Curry earlier in his careers and was all too familiar with the former MVP’s ankle problems, constantly re-injuring the same foot to the point where he needed surgery. The Rockets don’t want to repeat that process. Wood potentially switching to high tops makes it clear that he’s trying to protect the right ankle as much as possible.

When Wood was healthy playing at a near-All-Star level (22.0 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.5 blocks per game), the Rockets were a diverse, competent offense. Although he hasn’t enjoyed the same level of chemistry with John Wall as he did with James Harden, the two were able to work off each other to keep defenses honest. Houston had veered a tad too far into isolation basketball during their losing streak, ranking fourth in shot volume but only in the 41st percentile (.90 points per possession) in scoring:

[​IMG]

Wood’s ability to force a stop on one end and drive the length of the floor and create offense on the other is an underrated skill that exemplifies the sort of randomness that Silas looks for on a nightly basis. Aside from that, Wood just made halfcourt possessions easier. Having a player that can do so many different things offensively lessens the burden for others around him and raises the collective ceiling of a unit. During the past two weeks, teams were able to throw zones and traps at Houston, knowing full well their outside attack wasn’t prolific enough to punish gambles and their offense would essentially come to a standstill.

But for those thinking Wood can instantly right the ship, pump the brakes a bit. Houston won’t just throw him in the deep end. Only Wood knows how his body feels and will feel once he gets back to regular action. Will he go right back to the uber-aggressive threat he was prior to the injury? Or will he try to ease his way back into playing shape and efficiency? Whatever his method is, the Rockets coaching staff will be watching their center closely.

Wood is returning. But how will he look once he does?

The Kevin Porter Jr. factor
    I’d imagine some Tankathon devotees will disagree, but you could argue Rocket fans have been more excited about the prospect of Porter Jr. joining with the team than anything else this season.

There’s no mistake that the USC product’s debut has been highly anticipated — even more so after an impressive showing with the Vipers in the G-League bubble, after Porter Jr. averaged 24.1 points, 7.2 assists, 6.5 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks in 15 games with Houston’s affiliate. Silas envisions Porter playing as a point guard soaking up minutes behind Wall and handling the bulk of playmaking responsibilities with the second unit. With the Vipers, Porter enjoyed the lion’s share of the ball but needed to show an ability to create for himself and others on a routine basis. He did.

Porter’s 4.7 turnovers are high and should be one of the first parts of his game that Silas and the staff work to rectify. As the lead guard, he demonstrated impressive vision and a willingness to push the pace in transition and attack early in halfcourt situations — exactly what Silas wants. At times, however, he was loose with his handle and tried to do too much. With more talented players around him (especially Eric Gordon), Porter won’t have to force the issue and should be able to express himself without being a detriment to the team’s efficiency. He’s a talented, exciting young player who needs nurturing, support and freedom. He’ll be able to watch and learn from Wall, soaking up all the veteran knowledge while having someone to bounce ideas off in film sessions and practice.

As a team, the Rockets will benefit from having someone like Porter handle the ball when Wall is on the bench. There’s been almost a playmaking-by-committee approach in non-Wall minutes, and that has been less than ideal. There’s a ton of hype around his return, but Porter should be able to incorporate himself in the rotation and give Houston an additional creator. Who’s saying no to that?

ico4498, Vivi, D-rock and 10 others like this.
  2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

More time for John Wall and Victor Oladipo to mesh
    As impressive as their last game before the break was — a combined 69 points from Wall and Oladipo — there’s still work to be done for Houston’s backcourt in terms of time and reps together. Still, it was great to see those performances against a contender.

“Both guys got to the free-throw line which is great,” Silas said following Houston’s 132-114 loss to Brooklyn last week. “Both guys were very much on the attack, which is needed. It’s encouraging and lets us know that when we get back and healthy and whole; we are in a position where we have enough guys to compete. We’re gonna be just fine. It gives me some satisfaction to know they’re rounding into shape and getting their rhythm. We’re gonna be good, I believe that.”

Silas believes in this pairing. He had a huge hand in bringing Oladipo in for his two-way ability and absolutely loves Wall’s understanding of offense and game control. Defensively, it’s a no-brainer what that combo can be once they get rolling. Their advanced skill sets were on display at times against the Nets, with Wall’s relentlessness and Oladipo’s wingspan able to cause some problems.

Offensively, it’s still a work in progress — at least together. Wall and Oladipo have shared the floor for 247 minutes, with an offensive rating of just 100.2 per NBA.com tracking data. That’s hardly enough to get by most teams, but they’re still jelling. Much like the rest of this team, this is a backcourt that has been put together on the fly.

With players coming back after the break, Wall and Oladipo will benefit from regular rotations and more time on the court together. In the past, Mike D’Antoni staggered his backcourts primarily because of their playmaking abilities. Oladipo and Wall are on different tiers in this aspect, meaning Silas shouldn’t be afraid to play them for longer stretches together, especially if Porter Jr. can handle backup point guard duties effectively.

“I think just playing together more often and more minutes,” Wall said. “Rightfully so; we don’t want to play 40 minutes, but the last couple of games we’ve played almost 38 to 40 minutes together. That’s more repetition and time together. When one of us gets a break, we get an opportunity to be more aggressive for ourselves. I think that’s helping us feed off each other and help each other be better.”

On paper, it’s simple. Oladipo has been a good catch-and-shoot option over his career, and Wall is an excellent driver. Assuming Oladipo reduces his midrange pull-ups and trades them in for standstill jumpers or even drives himself, Houston’s offensive efficiency should escape the dregs of the league.

A play-in push?
    Yes, I know what you’re thinking.

Why should the Rockets, a team that has a realistic chance at a top-four pick next year, try to make the postseason? The incoming draft class is extremely talented at the top, and Tankathon is so fun!

Houston is the current owner of the league’s longest losing streak — four games longer than the NBA’s worst team, the Minnesota Timberwolves. The 10th-place Memphis Grizzlies are 16-16. Between them and the Rockets are the Pelicans, the Thunder and the Kings. Can Houston make up a six-game gap over the second half of the season? It would be premature to say no. This season has already been crazy enough as is, why don’t we add a little more chaos?

Internally, the Rockets believe in their ability to compete league once everyone is healthy. Health is a tricky crutch to lean on, of course, especially considering teams are never truly injury-free, and the coronavirus pandemic has disrupted a good amount of day-to-day flow. Still, the Rockets have a pretty nice crop if the injury reports are clean.

Because of the sheer possibility of “if”, it would be wise to give this group more games before you cast them into the lottery abyss. Wall, Wood and Oladipo have played just three games together, a total of 53 minutes. That’s way too small of a sample size to make definitive judgments.

Now, if I were a betting man, would I stake money on that? No, probably not. But you have to at least consider the possibility. What if the Rockets come out of the break recharged, refreshed and reel off five wins out of their next seven games? Things could get interesting.

ico4498, Vivi, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How can Wall and Olidipo mesh when at least one of them ain't going to be here?

I'm sorry but if our second half of this season is concentrated on improving chemistry of two over the hill players who have no future on this team at the expense of young talent, this origination is lost.

Let these guys go to teams that are in win now mode.

#3 fchowd0311, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Vivi, Der Rabbi, ramotadab and 13 others like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Let's ruin our chance for a top pick and still miss the playoffs.

Tato1971, Vivi, chadyang and 10 others like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Let KPJ and Wood mesh. Wall and Oladipo please go away

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is nothing dynamic between Oladipo and Wall. Two guys that should be making Eric Gordon/Patrick Beverly money at this point.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Well, that article is exactly the opposite of what I wanted to read.

Perhaps someone should let Silas in on what is actually happening and what is best for the organization.

slothy420, Vivi, roxallways and 21 others like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I do actually wonder what those conversations are like. I guess if you're Silas and the media is saying you're tanking but the owner assures you they're not, you might believe that?

He's been around the NBA so damn long though, I doubt he's that ignorant about the whole thing. Maybe he's just trying to win with what he has. Frankly, tank or no tank, his non-established players shouldn't be quitting on the floor, which has happened a couple of times already.

ramotadab, D-rock, hakeem94 and 5 others like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wall-Oladipo dynamic ?

:eek::eek:

chadyang, Rocket_ph, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

From what I can tell, it entirely depends on the relationship of the people having the conversation. For example, Cuban and discussed that he and Carlisle had a very open conversation about it in the season leading up to when they drafted Doncic. However, Cuban is extremely hands on and he and his GM and Carlisle all have long term relationships. In the case of the Rockets, you have a relatively new owner, you have a son that is extremely young that plays a large part in what the Rockets do and you have a rookie GM and HC. I am not sure that discussion has taken place.

Also, there is somewhat a possible conflict of interest between Silas and Stone. Silas waited 20 years to get a HC position and he is DESPERATELY trying to be labeled as a coach for a losing organization. Once a Coach starts his career losing a lot, unless he turns the ship around, he isn't likely to ever get a really good job in the future. Stone on the other hand is concerned about having a promising team a couple years down the road.

Silas was a Stone hire, that is the guy he wanted and from what I have heard they get along well and work together well. Also, you never want to tell your young coach "to tank", what you do is take away the veteran pieces that they would play to get more wins. Morey had to do to that to Adelman, and if Stone has the balls to do it and the support of ownership, he will do the same thing.

I will say, and this is conjecture.... but Silas really pushed hard for Oladipo, and I wonder if there would be any issues moving him so quickly after Silas pushed for him. A big return could be justified, but for a small return? I am not a sure.

Regardless, the biggest issue I have with the Rockets currently is that the hedge everything and do not commit to a plan... instead everything is fluid.

slothy420, ramotadab, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I can understand the position of Silas as he's been put in a real crap situation. Honestly, we are looking at a 2-3 season rebuild to get back into the playoffs and that's being optimistic.

Patience and Ramo$e like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should be House , Oladipo and Wall

winning combo =HOW

D-rock, hakeem94 and ROXTXIA like this.
  13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I’m befuddled the only dynamic is Victor wants out and Miami is calling.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Headliner.

jimmyv281 likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

LOL

Wall-Oladipo meshing?

I hope the question about these players after the deadline is "Do you like the Wall trade?" and "Do you like the Oladipo trade?" I have no desire to see these players on our team after the deadline.

D-rock, Mr Woods and peleincubus like this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Wait... our team has efficiency that can be messed up? That's messed up.

D-rock and Patience like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think you need to tell him anything. He's got the losing down just fine.

"Keep doing what you're doing, Coach."

NBA Draft Lottery: "And that means the Rockets get the first pick in the 2021 NBA Draft."

Nook likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. We went from "WOW" (Wall-Oladipo-Wood) to "HOW" (Hell.....Or Worse).

jimmyv281 and tinman like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

They don't even have a "starting 5" but let's talk about playoffs, like it's the good option.

Oy. Come on, someone step up and trade for these guys. Quit making us "wait for the right deal" or whatever. At least come get Tucker and Oladipo. We understand Wall and Gordon have to work off some of their contracts, no worries. Don't make us play 8 more games (until trade deadline). Give us a 2nd for House and McLemore.

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Pump the brakes on the tankathon... apparently Silas didn't get the memo. Makes sense though, this is his career on the line.

chadyang and D-rock like this.