1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty sure you'll always find a coach willing to you know, get paid to do what he likes, even if that means coach at 80% lol.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

@pippendagimp @J.R. i still remember when Les extended McHale saying "we did it cause other teams would've tried to steal him from us this summer"...5 years after we're still waiting.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

On your list I see only the Nets and 76ers as real, viable options. Combination of might fire their coach, would want a veteran head coach, no bad history with D'Antoni, D'Antoni would want to go their and win, etc.

Maybe the Pelicans are in that list?

4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Just bringing in a "new guy" is like playing Russian Roulette with the remainder of Harden's prime. It has to be the "right guy", and I don't know who that is.

For you Joerger fans please remember his exchange with Buddy Hield vs GS last year. He got angry with with him for taking and making a deep 3 with time running out, because it wasn't the "right play". Durant was even miffed about it.

There is no way that this guy could coach Harden or Russ. He wouldn't make it to Christmas. If Tilman wants a task master as a replacement we'd be screwed moving forward. We would need a smart X's and O's guy who is extremely player friendly.

Tilman is playing a dangerous game;).

#64 BaselineFade, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its gonna be hard to be a fan of this team in a few years. Not because of this coaching move, but because of the heavy-handedness of the owner and how strapped we are gonna be in those years.

Nook likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's good the people connected with the Rockets potentially open coaching position are former players.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Ty Lue is far better than D’Antoni. You guys are delusional about this guy. The Westbrook/Melo of coaches. But even worse because he was NEVER good, just a bit ahead of the offensive curve back when Bush was president. Windhorst said on his podcast coaches love facing D’Antoni because he never makes adjustments.

The league has taken D’Antonis offensive philosophies and far surpassed them. And teams like Miami/LA/Boston/Milwaukee are using better defensive philosophies than he ever would’ve thought of.

MDA stinks. He’s a lame duck coach and Tilman SEES that because it doesn’t actually take B-BALL IQ to see, only common sense.
    Why the hell would Fertitta wanna pay a guy top dollar to tell Harden to do whatever the hell he wants, never develop young talent and LITERALLY NOT COACH DEFENSE.

A COACH THAT LITERALLY DOES NOT COACH AN ENTIRE SIDE OF THE BALL.

smp likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is that the inside of the ball or the outside of the ball? unclear.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Let me speak your language.

:confused::mad::(:cool::D:oops::rolleyes:o_O:)

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

now I really don't understand

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. rockets13champs

who’s next in line? Becky Hammon?

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

it really doesn't matter whom will be the Rox coach next season, the style of how Harden and Russ will play is basically set in the stone, and because of how Morey had controlled the personnel, you can't really design any low post play for Capela or featuring House or EG on any kind of offense.

So, it really doesn't matter.

14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love to know what coaches love facing D'Antoni. Pop and Kerr maybe. But I don't see either one of them giving a quote like that. He's been kicking everyone else's ass.

Windhorst lied again.

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Tilman has a keen business sense. He just does not know basketball.

Follow the money for a coach. He’ll get a players coach(lure talent, placate Harden/Westbrook) with some winning pedigree. Or at least perceived pedigree. He will follow the trends of other successful teams/coaches which is probably gonna be either a popular assistant like Hammon or a former player like Monty/Doc/Kerr.

Lue is not a bad assumption. And he is really not a bad coach at all. He actually developed as a coach with time and did his best work in 2018 playoffs. LeBron gets all the credit but Lue knows how to structure an offense, and Cleveland was actually a monstrous playoff team from 2015-2017. He’s a playoff coach and really creative with his wrinkles. He actually started off as a defensive coach with Cleveland and developed them offensively with time. Crazy playoff offenses.

I’d like to see it.

smp likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

I've never felt that MDA was the right coach for a serious championship-contending team but he is a good coach. Tilman should have either extended Mike or fired him in the off-season. Making him a lame-duck coach was never the right more. I think the writing of his firing after this season has been on the wall.

Gray_Jay and BaselineFade like this.
  17. rockets13champs

If Dantoni isn’t brought back im hiring Becky Hammon I still want to keep a high powered offensive execution

charlieaustin likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, the good news i take out of this is that Tilman will never fire Morey...unless the NBA pays the rest of the contract for him lol.

amaru likes this.
  19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Ibhave been screaming for Nene high-post plays and dribble handoffs. Never saw it ever. I’d actually like to see Harty develop, and PLAY. The concept of development is just gone. Kevin Love was running pick and rolls with Tristan Thompson this year under that new college coach...And it WORKED.

Capela is clearly not one of those limited guys either. Neither was Harrell. Lou was not the garbage player he seemed to be in Houston.

Joe Johnson should’ve never ever touched the court in 2018.

He never wanted to get Chris Paul some pick and roll sets last year among the iso spam. Him standing up for team play might’ve gotten us over the jump. That, and playingNene, and NEVER playing Gerald Green. I’ll never forget his “You lose with a guy like Capela”, quote last year. Capela should’ve been benched for a Nene, who didnt miss a shot, LITERALLY all Playoffs and played by lockdown defense.

I’d give him a D- at best his entire tenure, and I don’t believe it’s unfair.

All he’s done is appease Harden. And look what that led too. Hijacking of FO decisions. Him telling D’Antoni to get Chris traded in the middle of a game does not sound unrealistic at all.

D’Antoni will have underachieved on his 4th straight franchise. Wasted two MVPs title chances. Never developed Amare as an all-around player. Ran Kobe to death into tearing his Achilles. Got thrown out of NY. Players/franchises never have anything good to say about this guy upon his departure. It’s not by chance, and Tilman IMMEDIATELY seeing him as expendable upon arrival isn’t either.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

look what you did now... for a moment @LorneMalvo wasnt looking like himself at all