1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

especially when the one team that got in MDA's way and every other team was a Kevin durant added GS team. Whereas McHale didn't have to face that. McHale was also blown out by them

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Definitely going to be a players coach anyway, i'd bet on that, probably a guy like Lue, maybe a young coach if Morey's word has any weight.

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sucks that Fertita bought the team.

He's done some good things for the staff that works the games, but he's not doing anything good for the on the court product.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I didn't want an owner that made billions building very mediocre and overpriced restaurants on gimmicks and image. I've yet to have a great experience at a Tilman business. They always seem to be a good idea until you get there.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Kevin Durant obviously helped them in the Finals and WC Finals.

They did not need him before that actually, barring injuries.

The ball movement also is more crisp without Kevin playing during most of the stretches in a game.

They can win without Durant, no doubt, Kevin just added that extra invincibility, but again, nobody is unbeatable in the NBA.

They just used him for his daggers and clutch plays. Rightfully so.

Also other teams figured them out so their Defense slipped year after year......which made them mortal.

There is only so much a coach can do.....MDA is more of a coach than Milkhair but MDA also had a better version of Harden than McHale.

CP3 was better than what Dwight back then brought to the table.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ib4

basketmad icon gif.gif

says

GlumGranularArkshell-small.gif

Nook likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah they didn't need him but still a much tougher task that MDA faced. bc not only are you dealing with everything else they had. now you add a prime mvp KD to the mix. smh. and look how close they got 2 years ago sigh

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

there are a lot of coaches out there that I think are better than D'Antoni but there are not very many coaches that are better than him for our roster of two primary ball handlers

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't blame Tilly for this.

Team is unlikely to win a championship with this roster no matter who the coach is. D'Antoni wants to be paid like an elite head coach (which his record says he is.) Why pay those kind of dollars when you can go get a young guy, pay him 1/3 and get the same end results?

Also, as good a coach as D'Antoni is, at this point the system is just "Let James be James." I'm less worried about whether a young coach (like say Stephen Silas) CAN coach that system and more about whether they would AGREE to coach that system.

The hardest part about replacing D'Antoni to me is are you going to find a "good" coach that is willing to come in and say "yeah you guys can do whatever you want" like D'Antoni does?

alethios, smp and Vivi like this.
  10. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

There's probably some young hot shot managing a Joe's Crab Shack in Beaumont he wants to coach the team that's willing to accept the minimum salary.

Nook, D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, McHale was definitely a worse coach then Mike, but it's also true that he didn't have the same roster as Mike, he had T.Jones, Josh Smith and injured Dwight instead of PJ, Gordon and CP3...like, that's a huge difference.

And fwiw i'm pretty sure we lost a couple of games in the last possessions that year too, could've been a much closer series with healty Dwight, no turnover record by James, D.Mo and Pat not being injured...all things considered McHale didn't even do that bad i'd say.

smp and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You do not know who gets injured around Playoff time.

I would never have thought that Cousins, Durant and Klay injure themselves within 2-3 months...... 3 allstars.

With those injuries, anyone can contend if they have 2 superstars.....or just even 1.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm tired of his way too late or never happen adjustments. Always getting out quick'd, out think'd, out outmaneuver'd, and out smarted by other coaches in the league.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

article says pringles would be many teams' top priority if he's a free agent this summer. hard to buy that... when we hired him nobody else would even give him an interview. pretty sure other teams realize it's been the same old pringles last few years, with wilt harden being the main factor in wins

smp, BigShasta and J.R. like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sure, but again, D'antoni's offense is really just letting James (or Russ) isolate with shooters all around them. He may have "unlocked" it but does he really need to keep coaching it?

I think he's a really good coach, particularly because I think he does a good job keeping the players happy and their confidence up. But he allegedly wants like $8m in salary. You could get a young coach off of someone's bench for $3m. That has to be pretty tempting to Tilly.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And I have no idea who really salivates at coaching Harden and Westbrook.

This feels like a real treat until he finds out they are really doing their own thing.....

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

on any given day there are at least a half dozen or more guys in the game threads who could out-coach D'Antoni

Nook, fckbandwagons, Patience and 2 others like this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I was at the Post Oak this past Friday night having a drink with some friends, and MDA came in to grab some dinner/drinks by himself. He had to haggle with the hostess for 15 minutes before they let him into the pool area, and that was only after I told the bartender that it looked like MDA was having some trouble. Maybe taking him off the list was Tilman's way of sending him a message??

Nook, D-rock and heypartner like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wondered the same. How many teams will really be lining up? Maybe a hand at best?

Incumbent team
    Houston Rockets

Not firing their coach
    Brad Stevens* Boston Celtics
    Rick Carlisle Dallas Mavericks
    Steve Kerr* Golden State Warriors
    Doc Rivers Los Angeles Clippers
    Erik Spoelstra* Miami Heat
    Mike Budenholzer Milwaukee Bucks
    Gregg Popovich* San Antonio Spurs
    Nick Nurse* Toronto Raptors
    Quin Snyder* Utah Jazz

Not going back to old places
    Frank Vogel Los Angeles Lakers
    Mike Miller New York Knicks
    Monty Williams Phoenix Suns

Rebuilding; why would 69 year old Mike D'Antoni have interest?
    Lloyd Pierce* Atlanta Hawks
    James Borrego Charlotte Hornets
    John Beilein* Cleveland Cavaliers
    Taylor Jenkins* Memphis Grizzlies
    Billy Donovan* Oklahoma City Thunder

So you're left with...(and how many will really have interest? Can probably count on one hand.)
    Kenny Atkinson* Brooklyn Nets
    Jim Boylen* Chicago Bulls
    Michael Malone Denver Nuggets
    Dwane Casey Detroit Pistons
    Nate McMillan Indiana Pacers
    Ryan Saunders* Minnesota Timberwolves
    Alvin Gentry New Orleans Pelicans
    Steve Clifford Orlando Magic
    Brett Brown* Philadelphia 76ers
    Terry Stotts Portland Trail Blazers
    Luke Walton Sacramento Kings
    Scott Brooks Washington Wizards