1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] 2021 NBA five team mock draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

The NBA season is nearing its midway point. And for some teams, the 2021 NBA Draft is already the focus.

Due to the change in lottery odds, the draft order is as unpredictable as ever. However, teams like the Pistons and Timberwolves have positioned themselves nicely to land the grand prize of Oklahoma State guard Cade Cunningham. Other teams like the Wizards, Rockets and Cavaliers are in that sweet spot where the lottery odds could catapult one of them into the top spot.

Let the ping-pong balls fall how they may!

Here, The Athletic did one single Tankathon simulation to determine how the top five might shake out if the season ended today, and the beat writers for those respective teams made selections. Now, we know what you’re thinking: It’s way too early. Things can change. And you’re correct. But life won’t get much rosier for some of those teams stuck at the bottom over the next few months.

With all that said, here is the top-five draft order and selections for The Athletic’s way-too-early 2021 NBA Mock Draft.

1. Washington Wizards: Cade Cunningham, point guard, Oklahoma State. You draft the best overall player at No. 1. There’s no other way to do it — even if there would be obvious positional conflicts for Washington if they select Cunningham with the first pick. The Wizards’ highest-paid players are their guards, but Cunningham is special. You don’t pass on special. Bradley Beal will have only one year remaining on his contract at this point. Russell Westbrook, meanwhile, will be going into his age-33 season with two more years left on his deal. You can’t choose your second- or third-favorite because both are already there. You find a way to make it work with a prospect as talented as Cunningham. And I’m imagining the Wizards would, even if there might be challenges with Westbrook’s playing style. Think of how a duo of Cunningham and Beal could work together in the backcourt. Beal is the league’s leading scorer. Cunningham can engineer buckets from anywhere. If Washington has to trade Beal, fine. You already have your franchise player to usher in a new era. -Fred Katz

2. Detroit Pistons: Evan Mobley, C, USC. Part of me really wanted to take Jonathan Kuminga here. The 6-foot-8 18-year-old has been really impressive against grown men in the G League and would fit in nicely between Jerami Grant and Saddiq Bey going forward (and, from all accounts, he seems like a Troy Weaver guy). But Mobley is just too good to pass up. Offensively, the center can finish above the rim, attack close-outs, hit pull-up jumpers, turnarounds … he can do a lot of things. Defensively, it gets even better. Mobley is a premier rim protector currently averaging 3.0 blocks per game. He can hold his own on the perimeter, too. He’s long and active and just a natural disruptor. Usually, I wouldn’t draft a center this high in today’s game, but if it all clicks for Mobley, he has the potential to be a special two-way big for a long time. The fluidity, skills and IQ for his size are irresistable. -James L. Edwards III

3. Minnesota Timberwolves: Jalen Suggs, G, Gonzaga. Let’s start by just saying the Wolves are happy to be here.The roll of the Tankathon lotto played out in their favor; had they fallen one more spot, my guy Anthony Slater from the Golden State beat would be making this pick. This one is still up in the air, depending on how D’Angelo Russell comes back from knee surgery in a few weeks. But even if he plays well down the stretch, I still think the Wolves go with the dynamic playmaker from the Twin Cities. Gersson Rosas has doubled down on the wide-open philosophy by hiring Chris Finch, so they need as many offensive threats as possible. Suggs has great size and strength as well as a great feel for the game. He would really help get the Minnesota offense moving and give the Wolves another option should Russell’s health or fit in the system continue to be an issue. -Jon Krawczynski

4. Houston Rockets: Jonathan Kuminga, W, G League Ignite. It’s been a while! The first thing that jumps off the page from Kuminga is his size. He has a legit NBA wing body, measuring in at 6-foot-8, 210 pounds. One of Houston’s underlying issues for years has been the lack of a bonafide explosive forward. Kuminga has a good chance to be just that. Head coach Stephen Silas has put defense first, and with a 7-foot-plus wingspan, Kuminga’s versatility fits right in with what the Rockets are doing. From all accounts and by watching him live, the 18-year-old Kuminga has been really impressive against the grown men in the G League. He’s utilized his nice blend of size, versatility and shot creation at a position that NBA teams covet. Kuminga would slot right in with the Rockets’ style of play like a glove. Victor Oladipo could be gone next season, which would leave Houston in immediate need of some top-end scoring chops in the short- and long-term. Among the players available, Kuminga appears to have the highest upside in that regard. Rockets fans would salivate at the prospect of developing Kuminga and Jae’Sean Tate at their forward positions for years to come. -Kelly Iko

5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Jalen Green, G, G League Ignite. Do you choose based on positional fit or best player available? If you’re looking for the best player available, Jalen Green, the 6-foot-5, 19-year-old guard, is the name at this spot. There’s obviously positional overlap here with Darius Garland and Collin Sexton as the Cavs’ starting guard duo, but Damyean Dotson as the only true guard behind Garland and Sexton with Matthew Dellavedova still sidelined due to injury and on a one-year deal. They would have to sort out the combinations of playing their guards together – especially with Dotson taking on responsibilities as a backup point guard in certain situations – yet, through eight games with Ignite, Green is averaging 17.6 points per game in 30.9 minutes. He’s also shooting 50.5 percent from the field and 37.5 percent from 3. While Green is averaging four defensive rebounds per game with Ignite, his defensive effort will have to continue to develop in order to fit the style of play that the Cavs are building as their identity. But if he can refine his defense, he has immense potential. -Kelsey Russo

Chuck Nevitt and J.R. like this.
  2. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I didn’t know Jim Halpert was a beat writer for the Wolves.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Works for me

rocketseagles07 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Lets start talking about this until AFTER we get that pick. Cause we may or may not have to go through this whole process again next year.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Houston Rockets: Jonathan Kuminga, W, G League Ignite. It’s been a while! The first thing that jumps off the page from Kuminga is his size. He has a legit NBA wing body, measuring in at 6-foot-8, 210 pounds.

I like his size
    Someone above us would snag him.

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  6. Big Fuzz

Big Fuzz Member

Kuminga would be the ideal pick here. He would fit well alongside Wood Tate and KPJ. I really like Cade, my only issue with him is not buying in on the defensive end. I just hope that this season pays off and we end up in the top 4 but only time will tell

sydmill and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd like to see who Heat pick at 14th slot or so.

There is greater likelihood that this is where Rockets will pick when all said and done.