1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 4th Quarter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DREAM ON!, Nov 21, 2013.

1. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

"Defense wins Championships"

Not trying to compare that Rockets to the Heat in any way but, someone refresh my memory....Didn't the 2010-2011 Heat team blow a fair share of leads? It even took the previous defenseless Mavericks of that year to commit to a zone to win a title.

The Heat evolved to play great D in the 4th and consistently all game. LeBron and Wade play hero ball(1 vs 5) in the 4th quarter like Harden does but, the difference is the Heat play great 4th quarter D to close out teams.

The Rockets are going to have their trouble doing it this season. We are the best on the run and when the ball is moving around. Trouble is the game slows down in the 4th quarter which takes half of the Rockets scoring opportunities away. It can be assumed that the Rockets are not going to score as much in the 4th quarter and to right this problem they are gonna have to buckle down and play some defense in the 4th quarter.

The Rockets have enough talent to win many games and can outscore anyone they want but, its going to take playing defense well and consistently as a team to get them to the next level.

Clutchfans...How do the Rockets solve this problem? Switch to Zone defense? Use Asik to bring in a wing defender SF, in an offense/defense subbing with Parsons? Fire McHale? Threaten to shave Harden's beard? Sacrifice live chickens?

I do apologize for mentioning the Heat on clutchfans.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Heat's goal was winning championship and they did not have excuses.
    Rockets' goal is to have fun. They have already accomplished a lot in that sense except one loner in Asik.

Solution: losing more games to kill the fun ...

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Well actually if you're comparing the Heat & Rockets I know it's been beaten to death on this board but...

Miami's first 17 games with Lebron & Bosh: 9-8

This team has improved every single game. Let them gel.

4. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

I just have a bad feeling every time the Rockets play the Mavs. It seems Dallas plays its best games against us. We scored enough to beat any team but Ellis and Dirk could not miss in the 4th. Ellis shot 70% from the field on mostly long jump shots with a hand in his face. Ellis always has career games against us, going back to his days with the Warriors and the Bucks. He is the new Jason Terry.:mad::mad:

5. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Nothing you can do when Harden is not doing defense.

6. atwood

atwood Member

My lesson learned from this season: stop watching once the 4th quarter starts

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good Lord.
    At least Dirk is the one who is going to retire rather sooner than later.

8. duteman

duteman Member

the rocket guards cheat a lot even when the ball is one pass away. I think they can cut that out in the 4th quarter and trust our guys in the paint can help out just fine...imo coach sucks

9. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Every team is going to be playing their best game vs us now. Aside from the occasional blow outs like Boston. We are a targeted team now

10. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Ya i LOVE Harden but, what would one ear full hurt from McHale to tell Harden to stop playing like a matador.

Dont know if you guys caught it, but on one play, mighta been the third quarter... Harden let Ellis right by him and Ellis sorta scored on Howard and Howard got a mad look on his face and was lecturing someone. The camera cut that someone out but, i assumed it was Harden.

11. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

I guess you're right. I sure seems that way.

12. TTNN

TTNN Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Think the Rockets bog down in the 4th quarter? In 4th quarters this season, Rockets rank 29th in percentage of points scored off assists.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/403637217442009089">November 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. TTNN

TTNN Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets are sixth in NBA in net rating, outscoring opponents by 5.8 points per 100 possessions. In 4th quarter they rank 29th.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/403633516983767040">November 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

We were scoring 30 pts or damn near 30 in each quarter leading to the 4th, where we scored less than 20. What happened in the 4th ?

Idk if it's McHale's strategy to milk the clock with 6 minutes left in the game, and our lead cut to 6. But we should have been aggressive in pushing the tempo, instead Harden and Parsons dribble the ball down to 2 seconds and settle for a bad shot. We should be speeding up, not slowing down the pace to where their old veterans have the advantage.

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

ISO Harden.

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Only bad teams win games like this and good teams lose games like this. I remember a few years ago, we beat OKC a few times like that during the season, but in the end, we didn't go anywhere and OKC went to the Finals. Eventually, we'll get the 4th quarter solved and start winning. I rather lose games early than lose when it counts.

17. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

^ this.

W H Y ?!?!

18. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

I love Harden but dude let everyone even V.Cater blow by him at ease.
    Seriously, dude hasn't improved on his game since last year and it seems he's happy where he is. Of course, all the hype about him being the 1st SG doesn't help either. But Harden has got to show his willingness to take his game to the next level.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

It'll take time, the team is still trying to find it's identity and it'll take time, it might take them a whole season to for them to mesh, but Harden needs to start playing some ****ing D or they can kiss the idea of winning championship goodbye.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Damn, are we the Houston Texans of the NBA...?:eek: