1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 3 Point Line Needs to Change

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MystikArkitect, Dec 25, 2022.

1. MystikArkitect

Get rid of the corner 3 and that entire stretch on both sides. Make the arc a foot back and just continue along until it ends on the sideline. So no more having two dudes parked at the corners waiting for whoever the iso threat is to do his thing. No more a bazillion reckless closeout fouls. Welcome back post play and more entertaining basketball in general. Goodbye 25 point halftime leads and 90 point halves.

This current brand of basketball is boring.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

While I agree, this idea has been discussed before and it will never happen.

The NBA would have to announce it like 10 years ahead of time since it would completely change the current game.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

but what if we do 4 point arches right under the mid court logo? it'll spread the floor even further, then we can add 2-3 foot to all sides of the court and even add 1 more player on the court. 6 on 6 would be flames

4. MystikArkitect

There's like 7 players averaging 30+ points. The game is an iso-fest. It's already changed and I don't think I've ever been this disinterested in it at times. Not sure if it's because the new players just aren't that interesting or the play itself is repetitive and "spammy" but somethings gotta give. They buffed the offense a ton and what has the defense gotten? Maybe make an illegal screen a technical or something. Take fouls. 3 point fouls. Illegal closeouts.

Like I don't really care to watch Luka. He just seems like Kirkland brand Harden to me.

hakeem94 and AKdaDawg like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It would be really interesting to watch this in a tournament or something.

6. tksense

tksense Member

FIBA world cup:
    11 vs 11
    goalie: 3 secs allowed, can goal tend.
    bigger court

txtodd likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

the NBA went all-in on elevating offense because the league was quickly becoming unwatchable…I didn’t blame them for the decision

Nobody remembers the scores for that 04 Pacers-Pistons ECF? That Celtics-Pistons series from 02? Any finals with the Spurs?

at 1 point, T-Mac led the league with 28 ppg on a trash team, and second was Peja or KG IIRC at just 24…if a team made it to 100 points, it was an offensive explosion

that’s why the 04-05 Suns were such a breath of fresh air

NBA might need to course correct a little bit, but 3 point attempts have stabilized to 30-40 attempts a game…at 1 point, I was worried more teams were gonna go to the Rockets extreme and half the league would be averaging 45+ threes a game

the midrange is still there…post-play is dead

Patience and ElPigto like this.
  8. conquistador#11

But I like the coffin corner three. More should take that shot. What if you just push the court seats 7ft back so that there is more space there.
    The only thing I'd change would be the offensive player can no longer purposely seek contact, which they said they were going to clean up.
    Oh and the above the cylinder put back rule.
    Oh and Allow the defense to semi hand check out on the three point line.
    Oh and really allow the defense to play defense. They have the stay vertical rule and you're good unless a 'super star' is bully balling his way then you still get a foul called. Selective refereeing has got to go.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just enforce the carrying call like they did in the 60s. Without fancy dribbling, ISO ball would be dead. Teams would be forced to pass more. 3pt shots would still be exciting when it's done with ball and body movements.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

You really want to see Walker Kessler try to post up Mason Plumlee for the majority of possessions than Tyrese Maxey try to beat his man off the dribble, from the top of the key? Hard pass. Nerfing individual offense in order to bolster big man offense for big men that have no business playing in the post, is a really bad idea.

Getting rid of the corner 3 isn't going to solve the iso "problem." Players will inevitably go there to spread the floor and create spacing for the primary ball handler anyway. Just because there's not a space between the 3 point line and the out-of-bounds line in the corner, that doesn't mean a PJ Tucker will suddenly not go there. And for someone like PJ Tucker, a corner 2 will still be his best shot, so it's going to be hard to change his game just because a shot is worth 2 instead of 3.

Also, you think making the arc a foot back will help with reckless closeout fouls? They're going to be even worse, as players who played help defense will literally sprint to defend a 3 point shot now, because of the increased distance.

rhino17 likes this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was explaining to my kids what palming was and immediately thought of Iverson and how he would literally walk with the ball in his hands right in front of the refs and they wouldn't call it. Drove me crazy

Easy likes this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Complaining about players, as a whole, getting a lot more skilled and talented is lame. Players being good is good for basketball.

13. MystikArkitect

I mean that happens. But the 3 point line was made at a time when players shooting from that far seemed crazy. It doesn't anymore. It needs to balance out somehow. Offense in the NBA is out of control.

It's like if soccer suddenly started awarding more penalties or the changed the offsides rules so the games were suddenly 10-2 and over by halftime.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Post play? If you do what you propose I'd have the guys that were covering the corners hedge closer to the basket and make sure there's 3 guys in the paint everytime the balls goes into the post.

Scoring will be harder for sure, but it'll likely put more emphasis to be able to hit a jumper just to keep the defense honest.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yes it was so entertaining watching Kobe, Iverson Tmac iso and take inefficient mid range pullups. Those were the days of entertaining basketball where teams can't even score 80 points.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Insert old man yelling at cloud pic.

Game is awesome. I remember those god awful games with scores in the 80s. Nothing fun about that ****.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

OP saying the game is now an ISO-fest, when it’s always been that way

there’s a reason the 02-04 Kings were fun…it’s because they were the outlier

the 90’s Magic was the exception

the MDA Suns were like an alien

as if Kobe, T-Mac, AI, Melo, Paul Pierce, etc weren’t constantly going 1 on 1 in low scoring games

AI going 10-33 in a 92-86 final score game was so much fun?

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

The game was more interesting before the three point shot. It’s boring to watch three point shots all night.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My memory always goes back to a Bull and Jazz Finals game. Jazz score 54 points. I think that’s was with them going off the last 5 minutes or so. They were in the 30’s quite late into the game.

No thanks to going back to that.

ElPigto and Reeko like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just take out the 3pt shot and watch how basketball becomes about getting the best percentage shot again.

DD

sirjesse likes this.