1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2006 NBA Playoffs are here!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What is up with newly minted Platinum Blonde Mike Fratello? Has he come out of the closet or something? He was all gray years ago.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's hard to look at, so is pat riley's new color.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No quite accurate, you were mocking the prediction after the 1st game, pretty much dimissing my points (in fact bringing up my exact quotes). It was after that I responded with the bet.

Sac has a tough break. They got blown out the 1st game and now have to play game 2 at SA w/o Ron Artest. That means they are very likely to go 0-2. But that doesn't mean the series is over or can't give the Spurs a good fight. Seattle last year gave the Spurs a good fight after going down 0-2. Though Phx lost 4-1 I believe the series was very close to going 6 were Phx was getting stronger as they went getting Joe Johnson back.

Going into the series I could easily have seen it go 6, I predicted 7. Of course I feel less strong about it now as Sac almost surely goes down 0-2 w/o Artest. But if Sac can find a way to be no worse than 3-1 with a chance to win game 5 and bring it back to Sac for game 6, I'd call it a series and not a pushover. I still think Sac matches up better versus SA than anyone in the West outside of Dallas (and possibly the LAC, who also have a decent combination of inside guys to match with the Spurs, and some offensive playmakers).

4. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

okay...signature bet under these conditions:

-the bet is whether the series goes to 7 games or not (if it does, you win...if it doesn't, i win).

-whoever wins the bet can put anything in the other person's signature for a month (obviously nothing nasty...it's all in good fun).

you in?

5. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Why is Arest not playing game 2?...I hadn't heard anything

6. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

also...

...don't even try to compare this series (SAC/SA) to the seattle series last year or the phoenix one either...

in the seattle series, the sonics lost so bad (22 points in first game and 17 in the second game) because of the injuries to ray allen (missed most of the first game and practice before game 2), radmanovic (lost for the series), and rashard lewis (sore groin most of the series). yes, the team did all they could to persevere, but they were a team that was proven last year and expected to hold close to the spurs (the season series was 2-2). the kings, on the other hand, are not expected by many other than you to keep this series within reach. you never know for sure what can happen - but there is no way to compare the kings of this year and their matchup with the spurs to the sonics of last year and their series with the spurs.

the phoenix series was close because of the scores not the number of games won by the suns. every game was relatively close and phoenix could have just as easily been leading 3-2 rather than losing 4-1. there were definately no 34 point blowout losses like what happened to the sacramento queens.
    SA-121 PHO-114
    SA-111 PHO-108
    SA-102 PHO-92
    PHO-111 SA-106
    SA-101 PHO-95

i just don't see how you can try and compare the kings of this year, after a huge blowout loss, to the sonics and suns of last year. i hope that they do make a great series, i really do...i wouldn't mind to have something funny in my sig such as "Desert Scar PWN3D Me" or something...but i just don't see it happening.

7. Desert Scar

3814, given the Spurs already won game 1 and for game 2 also at SA Sac is without (perhaps) their most crucial player (pretty much assuring an 0-2 hole for Sac), I see it as at best 50/50 the series is won in less than 6 by the Spurs versus all other scenarios. However, like you said in regard to the Phx series, just because they series is won in 5 games doesn't mean it was non-competitive.

So if you bet me the Kings cannot win 2 games, I'll accept the terms. Not confidently accept (like I said I think it is at best 50/50 given the loss and game 2 suspension), but I'll accept.

It is safe to say I see a lot more similarities of the Kings and Sonics, and how they match-up with the Spurs, than you do. Once Artest arrived Sac has been a good team overall and played SA very well, minus this weekend. Both teams have set offenses can generate decent shots by great clutch guards pretty much anytime (Bibby/Allen) and a mix of big guys that can hit perimeter shots and spread the floor, which really helps out against the Spurs by making the bigs leave the interior to cover people. IMO the Kings just need to shoot very well, which they are very capable of, to compete with the Spurs for individual games at Arco or even SA. They are not going to out defend the Spurs, but they could out shoot them here and there.

My initial point was that Sac was not a good draw for SA, that other potential WC foes like Denver, Memphis, Phx (w/o Amare) or the Lakers just don't have the mix of players to the degree Sac does to threaten the Spurs at all in a series. Whether Sac plays well and gets it together to be competitive is another question, but I sure don't see the above teams being more competitive versus the Spurs.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least SAR will play in 4 playoff games.

9. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

you just keep on backing down further and further. first it will go to sevent games, then good chance of going to 6, now 50% chance of getting to 6 games. they got BLOWN out by 34 points...

...maybe you should just admit that the kings aren't a great match for the spurs.

10. Desert Scar

I predicted it will go 7 before the series started. But with Sac having little hope of getting out of SA anything other than 0-2 (given the 1st loss and losing Artest for a game), of course I am not as confident they can make it to 7 now.

But I don't feel to bad about betting Sac can make it to 6. I feel Sac is still a pretty good match-up and is close to 50/50 getting that far, probably a few baskets in close games will decide that fate.

You can take it (Sac can't push it to 6) or not.

11. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

the thing is...i think the kings will take one of their home games - and i don't really consider 33% win percentage all that great...i originally said it would go 6 and still think it might (even though they got completely handled the first game). you said it'd go 7...the kings have good reserves to fill in for artest (martin, garcia)...i'll do the best for 7 games.

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Heat cheerleaders are definitely the best in the league...

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wow... Chicago coming back AGAIN. Too bad it's too late... or is it.

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I admire the hell outta the Bulls, man they're a resiliant young team! Bulls fans have something to look forward to...

BTW, the Buls simply got hosed by the refs today, too many bad calls against them, especially that last one where Nacioni was CLEARLY shoved out-of-bounds by Walker.

15. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Nocioni had a near perfect game!

If Gordon didn't have an off night, the Bulls would've won.

16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Absolutely. It's so pathetic to see a so-called contender at home court, need serious help from the refs to hold those baby bulls back. Payton played so dirty. One play in the first half, he fouled Gordon on his way to the hole, while Gordon was trying to continue with the play, Payton continued to foul and gave him a hard shove with forearm. On the end it was a non-shooting call. Man, I was so pissed, it should be 2 fouls, or one foul + 1 flagrant. I have so say, I watch Hockey, Soccer, and little bit NFL, NBA refs are the worst kind.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Carmelo Anthony is such a chucker. Everytime he touched the ball he was throwing it up there, even when he was well covered.

Dude! If you cant make a shot,then do something else to help your team. Sheesh....

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MAN . . LeBron's continuation was ridiculous

officials and their whistles

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I see now. . .there is no way in hell they going to let the Cavs lose this series

The officiating is ridiculous

Rocket River

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Are you sure about this? Cleveland has more fouls than the Wizards.