1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The “Why is...?” thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why is a 15 pound bag of Blue Buffalo dry dog food $30 but a 30 pound bag is $50?

I know buying bulk tends to save money but I don’t see how this applies here. Maybe they are trying to penalize the weak who can’t lift the 30 pound bag? Does it cost more to produce a smaller bag of dog food?

I want my $5 for each 15 pound bag I bought because they didn’t have the 30 pound bag ! ;)

2. Buck Turgidson

Have you never been to a grocery store?

jiggyfly, B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

4. TimDuncanDonaut

For the WHY thread:

Why is Dame time always near close moments. Why can't dame time mean get a cushion before it gets close. When it's not Dame time, is it CJ time?

B-Bob, Xerobull, boomboom and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can tell you don't capitalism. :D

Of course at places like Walmart you have to be careful. Now that they've trained consumers to not be able to do math and expect cheaper for buying more, there are times I've seen a 2-pack of deodorant or peanut butter cost more than individually buy 2 of them. Be careful - it's dangerous out there. :D

Xerobull likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The small bags only exist for people concerned with convenience, not price. If someone isnt going to worry about value, I dont blame the manufacturer for providing them the opportunity to pay more in the name of convenience.

The most notable example of this pricing model in the supermarket for me is paper towels, where you can get 2 rolls for $5, or 6 rolls for $10. Never understood why anybody ever buys the 2 roll pack.

People who would freak out over a 20% price increase for a $100 item dont even blink at a 20% increase on a $1 item that they have to buy 100 times. Frogs in a pot of boiling water.

#6 Ottomaton, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

"Good teams don't win close games; they avoid them."

Ubiquitin and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Some people don't have the expendable five bucks.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I’m just mad that my one grocery store only offers the 15 pound bag and not the 30 pound bag of the particular type I buy. So, yea, it turns into a convenience buy because I didn’t plan ahead and buy it elsewhere.

What I have done at all the major online pet supply places is take advantage of that 35% off your first auto-refill order when you sign up. So, I get the 30 pound bags heavily discounted. Then, I cancel. Those are all used up, though.

I now do my grocery shopping at two different stores to take advantage of their ad sales and digital coupons. Get more for the buck. But, even then, I don’t like to buy 5 or 10 items (must buy X items) to save on some particular sales items.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm the same way. My wife buys everything in bulk so there is literally no room in our pantry for a 6 pack of paper towels. And no room for a 50 pound bag of dog food in our garage. I've bought huge bags of dog food before and the bags are hard to close up and ants can get into them. So I usually go with the smallest bag they have and just buy one or two every week.

Sometimes it just more convenient to buy less, even when you get less bang for your buck.

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Mathing while shopping makes the brain go no no for some. I've seen someone grab an extra can of an energy drink because they were excited it was now 3 for $6 instead of the normal 2 for $4.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why is I reading this thread?

Ubiquitin, MIAGI99, STR8Thugg and 2 others like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It is even called a "convenience store"

Xerobull and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Soda to me is the funniest. A huge 2 liter you can often find on sale for 99 cents but the little 20 ounce bottles are always like 1.50.

It’s the convenience of course. We all want the 20oz because they are easy to carry around and the 2 liters go flat quickly.

Xerobull, TimDuncanDonaut and Surfguy like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Some Seinfeld-ism up in here.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i... don't know. this thread has made me question my life

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to order dog food.

Ubiquitin and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I only buy sodas on sale but I cringe when I see the price of 2 liters vs 6 packs and cans.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Its actually really expensive to be poor for stuff like staples and groceries. A lot of people get hosed at dollar stores because they are paying way more per unit than if they could afford to buy a larger size.

People that can afford Costco or Sams or buy in bulk save a large amount of money over people that buy small amounts.

B-Bob and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I use Chewy and have a big bag delivered every 7 weeks -- it's a prescription food so it's very convenient.