1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That Tony Parker knee was not looking good....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jevjnd, May 3, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Same injury Dikembe had before retiring

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to see the word rupture in any injury report. I hope he comes back.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Looks like he ruptured it before the landing....maybe on the final planting of the leg and jump. Looks to me like he consciousness attempted to avoid landing on it as a midair correction due to pain....barely using his left leg for landing.

rm365 and BigMaloe like this.
  4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Parker has been great for them in the playoffs this year. He's easily been their 2nd best player after Leonard, and his injury tremendously improves our chances of winning.

Plus, when Parker missed games in the regular season, Popovich preferred to start Murray and keep Mills in the second unit. If he continues doing that, we can have Beverley guard Danny Green and hide Harden on Murray.

Yung-T and Tfor3 like this.
  5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, depth is the biggest thing they lose, but I actually think Mills causes us more matchup problems than Parker. So overall, this may be a wash for them against us. At worst a very slight step back. But they were 15-4 this season without Parker.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If he retires does he come off the Spurs cap?

7. basketballholic

I agree Mills causes more matchup problems than Parker does. But Parker causes us more matchup problems than Murray or other rotation replacements will. They're not gaining Mills. He's already playing major rotation minutes. They're losing Parker for Murray, Simmons, or another non-playmaker. And just like us........They need multiple playmakers to be at their best.

(Since I've said this now watch Murray or Simmons light us up for 30.)

buffalobills!!! and Tfor3 like this.
  8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I mean this forces Mills to play more minutes (honestly not sure why he wasn't playing more to begin with, I assume out of respect for Parker).

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Sux for Parker and Spurs. Hope he's not in too much pain and recovers well.

I fear they will rally around this

AND

That we will relax

Horrible combination!

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Parker apparently has career earnings of $145 million.

On the one hand, that's a lot, and if you were thinking about retirement, he's set for life, doesn't want to go through the pain of a tortuous rehab.

On the other hand, he's set to make $15 million next year, basically a full 10% more of his career earnings. I mean I wouldn't give that up, and would feel perfectly fine rehabbing strenuously, but not crazily, to make it back by Nov. 2017. For all we know he hadn't even come close to thinking about retirement. he's almost 35, not 40.

In any case, the answer to your question is here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63
    Short version is it would still count towards the cap.

BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes a rocket killer...it should be easier without him however it is spurs and you never know which of their role players can be even more sucessfull

12. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Crazy that I am more comfortable with Parker being around than out. Why does it feel like him being out in this way is an advantage for them?
    Emotional rallying point, the unknown player who will step up, "One for Tony"... admittedly, emotion plays a significant factor in sports.

Hopefully, the rockets can counter this. It was already 50-50 from the start. Now this.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The more Mills plays, the less effective he will be. The extra minutes will allow the Rockets to better gauge him on both ends of the floor and he will pass the point of diminishing returns.

14. BleedsRocketRed

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's been in the league since he was 19. He's got Kobe mileage on him.
    I would retire if I were him.
    He's got his championships and he was even Finals MVP.

Leave crappy San Antonio move back to France and live by the ocean.

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This is what ive been saying/thinking.

Saves pop from his own tendency to stay with ride or die old guys. I mean parker can give you one maybe 2 games a series and thats it.

At this point he was also capable of goose eggs like game 3 vs memphis.

I hope we are wrong.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The only thing I can see them losing in this trade off is his veteran leadership? He's been there for so long and embodies the culture. I'm sure he's one of the biggest leaders in the locker room and on the court.

But it's not like all the other vets and leaders aren't there anymore. He's still rallying from the bench.

Imo, this does two things. Puts the ball in kawhis hands more, which isn't a good thing seeing as how great he is and has played this series. And secondly provides more spacing and spot of shooting.

You replace Tony's playmaking and facilitating with a bigger manu role. You get better spacing and shooting. You get better defense. It's not an injury I like to see, not because I'm a saint and don't want to see injuries, but because I think it makes them a better team.

Contrary to _holic who is gonna staple onto this injury as the reason we would be able to beat them and without this injury we would never have the possibility of beating:rolleyes:

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Only other thing that could help us tho is that patty cant play 48. At some point they will have to play a rookie (who probably isnt used to their defensive rotations) in a hostile road playoff game.

Other than that I absolutely agree with everything that youve said. Thats exactly what ive been preaching

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't envy the injury... but on the whole, it's a plus - plus life for him to be sure.

Also, while nobody would dispute France and the French riviera/oceanside is fine dining to San Antonio's taco bell... San Antonio with a lot of money can be perfectly fine and nice and hold its own. You get a nice huge spread out in the country a bit, with some rolling hills, maybe ac reek running through, etc. Not sure where the players lived in San Antonio... though it looks like when he was with Longoria they had a spread like this exactly.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well it's an increased manu role.

He plays a lot of backup point to mills. And probably some lineups not featuring a traditional pg with Kawhi initiating.

Simmons has already been inserted and he latches well against us. He probably steals some minutes.

They play 10-11 man rotation. A 9-10 rotation isn't going to hurt them.