1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you, Joe Biden!!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Notification that my Student Loans from 27-30 years ago have now been forgiven! $31,000+. plus another $12,000 in interest! I had done the Forbearance trick for years as the kids got older and financial hardships arose. However, I was about to start the payments again.

Not anymore!

Thanks, Joe! I will vote for you 20 times 2024! LOL.

DaDakota, astros123, ElPigto and 6 others like this.
  2. astros123

astros123 Member

God Good for you!

#2 astros123, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And to think I paid mine off years ago like a chump...;)

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I know right.... I guess I learned the hard way about "picking myself up from my bootstraps" and being fiscally conservative with my household income.

The funny thing is though, if this joker really did get his loans forgiven (and good for him if that's the case) I guarantee you that in the matter of weeks, he will have went out and purchased something stupid with the monthly payments he's saving which will then contribute to the Biden economy, and he'll be doing his part to make Biden that much more re-electable.

However I'll bet 100 bucks that he's full of crap.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So, you are going to send me a $100? I will put it towards my new vehicle downpayment!

I could show you the .pdf message I got from Mohela...lol. And no, I'm not going to buy anything....lol. Will help my credit when I buy a new vehicle next year after driving the same truck for almost 2 decades. The problem will student loans is that if you don't pay them off within the first 5-10 years, you can almost never do it because of the interest. I know people who had $75,000-$100000 in debt who have paid more than $100,000 towards those loans. They still had a balance of $75,000 to $100000. These loans are over 20 years old. If you don't wait to start a family, you will have trouble paying loans off. Kids are ****ing expensive. Financial hardships come up. So you use deferments and Forbearance to give yourself a break. Balance just continues to pile up. The first loan was 30 years old. I consolidated in 1999, a few years out of college. That is what Mohela shows as the age of the loans. Luckily, my interest rate was low because of the low rates in 1999. I have 2 kids who graduated from college from college and paying their tuition, etc... was more important than my very old loans.
    People like you have no problem with the government forgiving business loans when they don't need the relief. Republicans are against free community college (Reagan...ended that in California as governor). We are told you need to have good grades to go to college and make something of yourself, but college is being priced out for most students.

Paying on loans for over 20 years is enough for forgiveness.

DaDakota, Rashmon, Xopher and 3 others like this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congratulations

astros123 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not faulting the OP and I sincerely congratulate him on getting his loan forgiven and using that money to improve his life. That's why I including the winky face.

I paid my loans off largely because as a TA and research assistant, along with working for the U of MN for a few years after graduation my loans were small and reduced. I think burdensome loans are a problem and I don't fault others for feeling they have to take them.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It is a scam. Colleges give you grants basically your 1st year/year and half. Then to actually finish, you have to take loans to graduate.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes it's a big problem. Not sure I would go as far as calling it a scam but this is something that definitely needs fixing.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

Hopefully you're aware that under the new plan biden got rid of negative Interest. Your balance doesn't ever grow now if you make payments

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Congrats on the one off

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good then. I made the assumption that you were being sarcastic. I absolutely understand the issues with student loans because I also had trouble over the years paying mine off, and made stupid lending decisions while I was in college just to finish, and took a loan outside of the FAFSA process, and got screwed.

I also am certainly not one of those "people" who has no problem with the government forgiving business loans when they don't need the relief. At the time of the first two bills passed, I was working for a large company who received a massive payday from the Covid relief, took the money, and used it to pay debt off, then decided to have mass layoffs, and those left in the company were forced to have a 40% temporary salary decrease.... all the while on the earnings call boasted about how they are sitting on 100 million in emergency cash, and are still likely to turn a profit that year.

So yeah... be careful about just assuming anything about me as well.

Congrats on the loan forgiveness, and being able to get a new truck next year.

astros123 likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Moot since I don't have a balance anymore!

14. astros123

astros123 Member

You don't care about future generations? Eff everyone else huh

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not what I said. Was talking specifically about me. My son and daughter both have loans, plus we have Parent loans for my daughter. So, student loan concerns will still be a concern to me.
    Matter of fact, my wife is looking at the repayment programs this weekend.

astros123 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Hmmmm, what state you in? I'd love to collect the bounty for your future voting irregularities. :D

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Im in Alaska, no Utah, or maybe Wyoming.

19. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

You're not in Utah. You said "wife", not "wives". ;)

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

you're welcome

Invisible Fan likes this.