1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Gerry

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Master Baiter, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Thank you for all of the excitement of putting together some of the best Astros teams ever. You gave us your all and we couldnt have asked for a better effort. I'm glad that you have been apart of our organization and wish you the best.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was no smarter man in the business. I can only imagine what kind of team he could put together without the salary constraints imposed upon him here in Houston. The way he was able to make our team competitive year after year speaks volumes to how shrewd and skilled he really was. Best of luck with everything Gerry. I hope you were able to leave on your own terms rather than being forced out for whatever reason.

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I can't believe he was forced out. Remeber just a year ago when the Mets were talking to him and he decided to stay with the Astros, though he wouldn't have as much money to work with. I just don't understand why he left.:confused:

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Who said he was forced out?

5. redgoose

Nobody really. Just the post about mine reffered to it in the last sentance. McClane would be a fool to force him out.

6. redgoose

Anyone else think Hunsicker resigned because he knows we won't be able to resign Beltran or Kent? To add to that, the Rocket probably won't be coming back next year.

That will be very bad for PR in Houston. Especially if we don't make the playoffs. Coming off this season, Gerry could probably have just about any GM job he wanted. But if he stayed and watched the Astros suffer and collapse next year, his future salary and the amount of teams chasing him would probably decline.

That's what i'm starting to think. It was nice having you Roger, Kent, and Beltran!:(

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He did all he could.

Brought in Beltran, Clemens, Kent, Randy Johnson...the guy tried like heck.

Good luck Gerry.

DD

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Oh sh*t...I didn't know Gerry was out...well, thanks for everything and wish you the best of luck in whatever you do...