1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Oct 21, 2004.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Sure :). I meant him at 1b, but this is what happens when posting at 5 o'clock in the morning.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Only now, a day later has it really hit me just how amazing a run this was. I feel this huge void, with no desire to read online articles or turn on ESPN. The team was on the brink of elimination for almost two months here. The 12 game win streak. The 9th inning HR by Berkman in the final game of the Giants series to save the season. Sweeping the Cardinals and Rockies to clinch. Defeating their playoff nemesis. Extending the best team in baseball to 7 games with Peter freaking Munro starting 2 of those games. Absolutely amazing run.

I'm going to miss hovering over MLB.com gamecast every day for a month checking updates simultaneously for the Cubs, Giants, Marlins, and Padres. That will probably never again happen in my life. Why? Because never again will my team go 36-10 to leap frog 6 teams to win the Wild Card like these 2004 Astros.

Thanks for a wild ride.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I want to thank them for sparking the interest
    I cannot say i'm depressed. . . but i am disappointed

Rocket River

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Absolutely awesome season. I was disappointed last night but not as completely devastated like I thought I would be. I'm happy for Bags and Biggio because they got that monkey off their backs. They are such great Houston icons and I have wanted for them to be successfull for so long. The Cards are a really good team from top to bottom. They put up a good fight and had we not had the injuries we had, I really do not think they would have had a chance. I know we always say we will get them next year but this is one year where I truly believe that we will.

Go Astros!!

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Thanks alot Stros for a great season. Like many I had given up on this team in August but you proved me wrong and I've never been happier to be wrong.

I don't know what will happen next season and while I'm not happy how the season ended it still was a great season up until the the 6th inning of last night. For me I'm going to remember the great comeback and the Killer B's taking us past Atlanta after years of struggle.

Way to go 2004 Stros!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, I love this team.

Go 'stros!

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Thanks Astros! This season was magical. I feel really depressed but you really can't say anything to horrible. They had their chances in game 6 and 7, they just didn't come thru, and that is how the proverbial ball bounces.

However, if I ever see Dan Miceli (sp?) I will KILL him.

Now that I got that out of my system, Thanks for all the great emotions the Astros made me feel. As time passes by that is what all of us will remember, IMHO.

Bring on the Roxs!

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Gracias.

Para Beltrán: Don't ever say we didn't love you.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Thanks for the good memories and good times. This includes "The Run Down the Stretch", beating the Braves(finally!), and giving St. Louis a run for their money.

However, no thanks for padding that loss stat by losing the critical game. I think we are 1 - 8 now in post-season series deciding games. Ugh.

10. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

preciate it

11. mulletman

mulletman Member

thank you astros for some amazing highs the past few months. its been absolutely pleasureable watching you guys.

my wish: falling two swings and 1 amazing catch short of the world series drives drayton to open his checkbook for not only carlos beltran, but also for another free agent power hitter and for improvements to the bullpen. do it drayton!! money means nothing compared to the satisfaction and happiness youll feel if the astros make drastic improvements and win the world series:)

12. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

It was a great run.

I can't predict the future nor change the past, but I can look back at the past two plus months and you made me believe. Thanks.

Go Astros!!

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I never thought it would hurt this bad. I've got to eat a lot of crow, but it's worth it.

BTW Was a Cardinal caught on tape cursing last night? If so then maybe MLB can take a few runs away.:)

Thx Astros

14. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Does anybody remember the game a while in August when our winning streak was just getting started. Beltran, Bagwell and Berkman had just crushed back to back to back HR's. My roomate is from Austin and isn't much of a baseball fan. He asked my why do I watch the Astros? "Aren't they like doing really crappy?" I told him yeah, but there's still alot of baseball left to be played. August turned into September and we were still winning. To make a long story short, My roomie started getting into baseball and picked up on the game really quick. He was in front of the TV for every game cheering and yelling with me. I'll never forget this season. I really can't be mad at you 'Stros. You gave me something to do from mid August until late October. Thanks for not quitting. Resign Beltran!

15. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

This is assuming that Beltran resigns....

Biggio 2B
    EverettSS
    Beltran CF
    Bagwell 1B
    Berkman RF
    Ensberg 3B
    Lane LF
    Ausmus C

Biggio could finish up his career at 2B. He'd be better suited for it and he could make spot starts in LF. Chris Burke can switch up with him kind of like Ensberg and Lamb did this season. I don't think Burke has been through enough at this level to come up and start opening day.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was worried after Kent's home run that the Astros would be the 1996-97 Houston Rockets: Finally beat your arch-nemesis in the playoffs and seem to have a highly-favored opponent up against the ropes, only to fall. Kent's home run to win Game 5 was Eddie Johnson's bomb to beat the Jazz in Game 4. All the momentum seemed to shift... but we dropped the next two in heartbreaking fashion.

Like then for me, this is so tough because you endear yourself to the players, but the writing is on the wall for guys like Biggio, Kent, Bagwell and possibly Clemens that this was possibly their last great shot at it together in this uniform. I hope that's not the case.

All the Boston fans I've spoken to here wanted the Astros because of the storyline with Clemens, but feared them more than the Cardinals. It would have been one hell of a Series.

This team was really special. I totally left them for dead -- never did I think this was remotely possible in mid-August. They really provided a lot of magic and rekindled a lot of Astro memories for me and for that I have to thank them. It was a very, very fun ride the last few months.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It was an amazing season. Who would have thought that they would have been 1 win away from the WS....definetly not me.

It was an exciting ride, I enjoyed it immensely. I am just sorry it had to come to an end. Thanks for the memories Astros!

Keep Carlos!

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll just quote you, Behad. I'm too depressed to pitch in something original. Next season seems a lifetime away from me, right now.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Thanks Astros. And congratulations. These 25 guys are the toughest Astros team ever assembled.

Last night, and even today, I wonder if the disappointment is worth it. Baseball has always been my least favorite of the 3 major sports. But this post season, I found each moment devastating or exhilarating (sp) and was surprised at the depth of the feeling each time.

I vividly recall the Rockets' losses to the Sonics. That's the only thing that comes close to the current sense of disappointment. In each case, the only consolation is my recognition that the better team won. The difference is that this Astros team showed so much toughness to fight back from the deficit. The Oilers/Buffalo debacle didn't hurt as much because it happened in one afternoon, and because there wasn't a buildup that occurred over 2 plus months.

Ultimately, I know it is better to have loved a team that lost than never to have experienced the ride. But it's damn difficult.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

The best Astros team ever!!! Thanks for the great memories and hope we are at least a shell of what we were this year in 2005...