1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Oct 21, 2004.

1. lalala902102001

It was a great season. The team showed a lot of heart.

Thank you Astros.

I have every reason to believe that with Pettite and Miller healthy next year the best is yet to come for this team.

Now let's resign Beltran and bring Roger back for another run.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I sure hope so; i'll be sitting a few rows up from the Packers sideline.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll be on the sideline....playing in the Texans pep band! :D

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

thank you guys,

it was dramatic

it was suspenseful

it was amazing

it was painful

it was the best Astros season ever.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was great. Thank You.

5. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

its always the woulda coulda shoulda, but i know for certain that we couldve used andy in this series or just the playoffs in general. Andy is one of the best big game pitchers in baseball and having him, roger and roy-o wouldve been more reassuring than what we had.

but a couple of good things came out of this postseason:

1. Houston is a great baseball city and loves its baseball team
    2. We didn't choke in the first round like everyone expected
    3. We beat the freaking braves
    4. We discovered our #4/#5 starting pitcher Brandon Backe. He has big game pitcher written all over him and i'm excited to see him pitch next year when he truly learns how to pitch

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Go Astros! Thanks for the great season.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah, thanks for going from dead in the water to one of the most enjoyable runs ever where it seemed like we would never lose. thanks for lights out time, for getting oswalt 20 wins, for making people talk about us. thanks for FINALLY winning a playoff series and doing it to the braves no less. thanks for beltran going freakin' crazy (21 runs in two series, shatters the record by 3 w/o even going to the world series, damn!), thanks for kent's walk off homer, thanks for lidge's 3 perfect innings, for bagwell's homers and rbi, the team offense mashing homers left and right, bidge's lead off homer and beltran's tag up from 2nd (the last good moment of the season before 6 no hit innings set in), thanks for it all.

at least we didn't suck for once in the playoffs though we did choke on offense at the end (and terribly choked also, weakest batting ever at the end), and that's something to be thankful for.

and most importantly, got a playoff win for bagwell and biggio so that doesn't have to hang over them for their whole careers and afterwards. awesome. that probably meant more than anything to me.

thanks 2004 astros.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I sincerely think Beltran will resign with us, simply because he is now the face of this franchise. In New York, he becomes just another guy who sold his soul to the Evil Empire. We'll see, how this plays out.

This run showed a lot of things. Most importantly, the guys we are counting on to be the cornerstones of this franchise - Beltran (hopefully), Berkman, and Lidge - absolutely came to play in the clutch.
    Berkman and Beltran batted over .400 and Lidge might have become the best closer in baseball with Mariano Rivera's fall. That gives an Astro fan a lot of hope after a decade of Killer B futility in the postseason. Brandon Backe showed that he can be a mainstay in this rotation, 1 hitting the best offense in baseball for 8 innings.

It's unrealistic, but I really wish we didn't have a self imposed salary cap. If they could acquire a big stick to put in between Beltran and Berkman, they could give themselves a trio comparable to Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds for the next decade. We saw what those 3 MVP candidates did this year without any starting pitching help. Bagwell came alive late, but if we had just one more monster bat to replace him, with Chris Burke setting the table, we could really come alive.

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Oh, how I love them
    2 pop-ups and a ground-out
    Same old Dis-Astros!

I knew the outcome
    down deep in my inner gut
    But yet I believed!

I will forever
    be true to my team of choice
    The Houston Astros!

'Twas a great season
    when the second half started
    And October ruled!

Please re-sign Beltran
    I hope the Rocket returns
    Keep Garner skipper!

Thanks again Astros
    I had a blast watching it
    My fever is back!

Next season perhaps
    Or maybe the one after
    we'll get to the "Dance"

Forever I'll say
    (the Homer I'll always be)
    "I Believe, Astros!!!"

-Thanks

#29 IROC it, Oct 21, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  10. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Thanks Astros for showing the world how Classy you are. From top to bottom, the Astros showed the world you are a class organization. Also, thanks to all the Astro fans who showed the country that Houston is one of the loudest parks in the world with the best fans. I still can't beleive that girl died in Boston. I really hope the Red Sox lose. Thank you for a great RIDE!

GO ROCKETS! GO TEXANS!

11. synergy

synergy Member

great thread. someone should print it out and send it to the 'stros.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I don't know how to say it...Thank you Astros. The miracle season came to an end one series earlier than we were all hoping for, but none of us would ever give up our seat on this ride if we had to do it all over again. One of the most magical seasons in baseball. One of the best ways to redeem legacies (Bigg and Bags) ever. Every time I should have been studying or working, I was watching or thinking about the Astros. And I sure as hell wouldn't do things differently this time through. Thank you Astros for making me believe in the magic of Houston's sports again.

ASTROS IN 2005!

BZZZZZZZ!!! The sound of the killer Bs drones on...

13. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Sorry, but I'm not gonna get all sentimental like the rest of you. I'm bitter as hell. True, some will say they had no business being here after where they were on Aug. 15, but the point is they made it to game 7 of the NLCS.

I'm sure everyone is excited about next year but it isn't gonna happen. It was this year or nothing. This was the team to do it, you had Clemens, Oswalt, Backe, Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, Beltran, Kent, Lidge. No chance in hell they all return next year - it's impossible. This was the team to win it all.

I love Roger, I really, really do. This season was totally magical for him and I'll always remember his greatness this year. If he were to come back next season, though, his stats would be nothing like they were this year.

The thing that really pisses me off about this franchise is they always get so close and just end up failing. They get your hopes up and then the bats go silent. This is so frustrating, they aren't quite going to be rebuilding but they wont be in the thick of the playoffs race next year. Long time before they ever get this close to the World Series again.

Somebody supply me with Dan Miceli's address please so I can go kill the worthless excuse for a pitcher. 3 game-winning home runs in the playoffs, GIVE ME A BREAK!:mad: :mad: :mad:

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Thanks for the memories.... I will NEVER forget this season and the incredible run this team made and how it pulled the city behind them...I haven't seen that since the Rockets' championship years.. I've been a fairly solid Astros fan over the years but this year...w/ the expectations placed on them, their fall and miracle rise, their postseason heroics...what they did this year took my feelings for this team to a whole new level...dare I say it I've now become as die-hard an Astro fan as I am a Rocket fan. And that will certainly NEVER change...it can't cause their logo is forever branded on my skin :D (which I got at the beginning of this season and not during all this playoff hoopla like some bandwagoners did no doubt)

I sincerely hope this team can come back next year and compete...I know it was built for a run this season...but with everything that has happened...we have an oppurtinity to be even better next season and competive for the future..so please resign Beltran (and Beltran please stay, you know u want to :) ). And Clemens, listen to your wife and stay one more season. I just wanna keep riding this wave on into next year...but if this is the end of an era...Im happy that it ended on such a thrilling note.

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

thanks! Astros, Go astros 2k5!

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Okay forgive me cuase i have had a night of drinking after the loss. I couldn't even stay in one place long enough to finish a drink. i would just sit there and think and then just leave.

Just want to say....

Thank you Astros for everything.

Thank you for making me feel the joy I had last with the Rockets.
    Thank you for letting me wear all my Astros gear with pride.
    Thank you for giving me so much excitment in a time that we thought we had nothing.
    Thank you for making believers out of so many people that had left you for dead.
    Thank you for playing your heart out and leaving everything you had on the field.
    Thank you for making me feel like a kid when i was jumping up and down on every play this post season.
    Thank you for turning everyone in this city into friends going after a common goal.

There are so many things i could thank you for but words couldn't describe it. Thanks for everything. Thanks for a season that will be remembered in the hearts of all the true fans in Houston. The ones that don't jump off the wagon when it goes down. You will always be remembered as the team that made everyone believe.

WE BELIEVE! and will always in our hearts....

Next year baby....next year.

17. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

**** good rides, 2nd place is 1st loser :mad:

18. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Even in that context...we're still 2nd or 3rd loser. :)

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This was a great ride. I think it's astounding that the Astros made it to a game 7 in which they started Pete freaking Munro in two of the seven games. And they had the ability to win all 7 of these games.

Of course i'm upset, and sad, but seriously, we don't ever have to hear about the Astros choking in the playoffs and not ever winning a series anymore. This was not a choke, not by any stretch. Choking teams don't come up with a rbi single to force extra innings in a must win game at their opponents yard, or win three straight at home after going behind 2-0, especially in the way game 4 and 5 were won.

The bottom line is the cardinals just made a few more plays, and got a few breaks. I mean, a good example is the 8th inning tonight. Beltran and Bagwell absolutely blister the ball, but the Cardinals made the play, and the Berkman hits it hard up the box but Tavarez deflects it enough to slow it down for renteria. In the bottom half, Larry Walker shatters his bat in many little pieces and somehow still muscles a liner to the outfield to score Anderson and this is not counting his broken bat double to left in the 1st game. I realize it had no impact on the outcome, but to me that typified the games at Busch. Then yesterday you have the renteria catch on biggio which prevented a run for the Astros in game 6 which proved big, and edmonds unreal grab on Ausmus tonight that would have stuck the Cards in a huge hole. If he doesn't make that play, they likely don't win the game.

The cardinals were pushed to the limit by the Astros, who started pete munro twice in the series. And that second start was costly because the outing forced the bullpen to be used to the point that the only available option in the 12th inning was dan miceli.

I, like the rest of Astros fans everywhere thought Roger was going to win, but the Astros did not choke this series away, the Cardinals earned it. Like I said earlier, if Edmonds doesn't catch that ball, we are more than likely sitting here tommorrow discussing game 1 probables against Boston.

The bottom line is as much as this loss hurt(it hurt worse when I saw the cheap walker hit after the astros were robbed in the top half) the Astros had a great postseason and Drayton McClane hopefully saw how the fans reacted and will continue to add pieces to get this franchise over the hump. I expect him to spend the money to be a winner and that starts with retaining Carlos Beltran.

Lastly, the future in Houston is not bleak, even with Bags and Bidge and Kent as old as they are. If they can keep Beltran you have a future lineup of:

1. Taveras-RF
    2. Burke-2B
    3. Beltran-CF
    4. Berkman-RF
    5. Lane-LF
    6. Ensberg-3B
    7. catcher(either Gimenez or FA)
    8. Everett-SS

And that is just counting what is currently inside the organization. As far as pitching goes, you have good young arms in Oswalt, Backe, Lidge, Qualls, Harville, Wheeler and who knows about Buckholz in AAA and what they decide to do with Miller.

The point is, while that team above is not perfect, it does show that the young talent in houston is not woefully bare, and we will be competitive for quite some time. Of course it hinges on Beltran, but I'm banking on Drayton stepping to the plate and Carlos wanting to be here after the way he was treated this October.

20. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Can Berkman just play a really deep 1st instead of RF? 2 RF'ers doesn't make sense.:D