1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jul 8, 2018.

1. dmoneybangbang

So you think in 2018, that the people could stand up to an army regiment? Or that US citizens could overthrow the US government with guns? You believe those conditions and that reasoning still exists today?

LOL. We don't let felons or crazy folks have guns. We don't let kids own guns. We now take guns away from those deemed a threat....

So we do infringe.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not trying to put words in your mouth Mr LTC but it certainly sounds as if you are for taking away important individual rights due to the carelessness of others.

If I’m putting words in your mouth then please take a moment to state your position on the 2nd Amendment and the right of the people to keep and bear arms?

3. crash5179

Felons have there rights infringed period. They can’t even vote, go figure.

4. dmoneybangbang

Correct.... but what's your point? This isn't like the Efficient Market Hypothesis where it is assumed all information/arguments are reflected into the rulings.

What about the 18th century still holds today in the context of the 2nd amendment?

Ok. And?

I was incorrect, I meant the 60s.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/americas-faulty-perception-crime-rates

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...tackles-problems-in-the-u-s-s-rearview-mirror

5. dmoneybangbang

So then clearly the 2nd amendment can be infringed upon as you've left out the rest who are being infringed.

6. crash5179

Life has conditions and so do our constitutional rights. No one from either side has tried to debate that. If you are not a law abiding citizen you may lose your rights.

cml750 likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Or until we can no longer match up with our own army. Which is why we need to take a hard look at our rights.... Our notion of the 1st amendment needs to be updated for the digital age as well. Again, I'm not looking to ban guns or anything of the like.

8. dmoneybangbang

Or crazy.... Or if you are under 18 then different rules apply.... Or if you make a bunch of disturbing comments online now .....

But tell me about fighting tyranny..... guns are needed to fight against the US govt just in case still? Is that still realistic?

9. crash5179

Obviously yes and yes

10. dmoneybangbang

Go on..... give me a scenario.

11. crash5179

Nope

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That makes no sense. We can't overthrow the most powerful military in the world, so we should just outlaw guns.

The 2nd amendment is not there to overthrow the sovereign nation of the US.

13. dmoneybangbang

It makes no sense if I had ever suggested we outlaw guns.

I wish more people could move on from that notion so we could move in the 21st century on gun regulations.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The one thing I've never have 2nd amendment pro "fight against tyranny" proponents answer is:

What is the threshold where it's appropriate to use firearms to "fight tyranny" and who is the arbiter to determine this? What does the government have to do to warrent such actions?

I ask because there were black people decades ago who thought they were facing legitmate tyranny and used firearms as a show of force(Black Panthers) and many 2nd amendment proponents today think those groups were ultra violent agents against the United States.

So when is fighting "tyanny" legitmate or evil violence against law enforcement and government officials.

15. bongman

bongman Member

How many adults were punished due to this irresponsibility

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't find unfettered access to firearms to be an important individual right. It is literally insane that anyone can buy a gun online from a perfect stranger and make that exchange in a McDonald's parking lot. All rights can be restricted, including 2nd amendment rights.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Felons in Texas can vote once they've served their time. The more you know.

19. crash5179

The scenario you just described is illegal.

I’m not aware of anyone trying to make a case that gun rights should come with out restrictions. Most gun rights advocates including the NRA have acknowledged this. This issue typically comes when we try to determine the type of restrictions that are appropriate.

Not even the 1st Amendment comes without certain restrictions.

#79 crash5179, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. crash5179

Is there a point your trying to make?