1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabeet's future for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsmetalspd, Mar 2, 2011.

1. rocketsmetalspd

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm slightly confused by the article...it's my understanding he's already locked in for next year at $5M, Thabeet seemed to affirm that, Feign mentioned that the Griz picked up the year 3 option....yet he writes about "Morey would have to take a significant leap of faith to guarantee not just next season, at $5.127 million"

Am I missing something? Because if we can drop this mess of a player and not have to pay him MLE money to waste a roster spot, that's what we need to do.

This guy had disaster written all over him even when he was with UConn. He has some bright spots to his game with the shotblocking, but overall he's a wreck on the court. Stromile was lazy and disinterested. Thabeet is in grad school with a 6th grade pedigree.

3. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

It seems that alot of people consider Thabeet dumb or not smart enough to learn basketball. From a non basketball perspective, I think the fact that he can speak 5 languages speaks for itself (pun intended). It is said that only those with serious intelligence can master multiple languages.

He seems eager to get better and with the right coaching staff will do just that. My bet is that Morey keeps him around that extra year because Thabeet will improve between now and when he has to make that decision.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

"I have to come out here and work," Thabeet said. "I'm not just sitting here thinking because my third year is picked up already it is time to relax. I'm ready to work. I'm committed to this. I want to come out here and become a great player and also a great person.

"Let them judge by my work ethic. I have to show them I really want it. I'm ready to work. A lot of people have been saying a lot of negative things about me. That really doesn't bother me. What bothers me is what I can control. I'm going to work, get better every day. I like to learn and that's what I'm going to do."

I like his attitude hopefully he can practice and play with a chip on his shoulder.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm not trying to speak to his overall intelligence as a human being.

As a basketball player, he has no idea what he's doing out there, does not have down basic fundamentals, and is out of his depth when asked to execute gameplans. He's a pick up game all star lost in a league of X-Os.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Words and attitude are not the same thing unfortunately. Because people lie all the time to themselves and to others.

I hope he's not lying. Because if he is not lying, and if he really has work ethic, he can become a productive NBA player, probably somewhere between Mark Eaton, Deke, and Shawn Bradley. And if he works really, really hard, he has enough physical talent to be a little better than those 3 guys just mentioned, which would be something that we sorely need.

An attitude translates to actions. I hope he speaks the truth and isn't lying to himself and us. I hope his actions are working and not just talking.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have a firm belief the kid is willing to work his a$$ off and is intelligent enough to give himself a fighting chance. I think if he fails, it won't be because of lack of effort or BBIQ, simply because he just isn't good enough.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You have until October to pick up the option for the following season. Last October the Grizz picked up the option for next season so he is under contract for 2011-2012 (his 3rd year). Next October (prior to the start of the season) the Rockets will have to decide if they are going to pick up his option for the 2012-2013 season ( his 4th year).

9. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Thabeet doesn't need basketball IQ. He needs to know the following:

1. Only 3 seconds at a time in the paint.
    2. Hands up.
    3. Go get the damn ball. Slam it through on their end, pass it out on ours.
    4. Don't ever bring the ball down lower than your chest.
    5. Never, ever dribble.

10. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

He is not a hard worker.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree, the guy has a good attitude and isn't dumb ala Stro..

I hope he gets some playing time and contributes at least next season