1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabeet Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, May 14, 2011.

?

Thabeet - want to/have to

1. Rockets traded for Thabeet

90 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Grizz made us take him

54 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reading several posts about Thabeet and a lot of people talk about him getting playing time and developing. I see other posts calling him junk. Just wanted to get a feel for the majority opinion.

My guess is he never has a significant role in the NBA.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Stop looking at Thabeet as a project or raw or whatever. He is not even a D league caliber player. He has no future in the NBA and will be out of the league at the end of next year.

The guy is an expiring contract for next season, just like Miller.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I agree. Hasheen got the taste of big money and forgot that he has to earn it. He is trash and the sooner we get rid of this worthless garbage, the better we will be.

4. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

The Rockets weren't going to be able to (or didn't want to) sign Shane this off season so they got something for him. I'm still upset Ish was included in the deal. He may turn out to only be a backup but he is an exciting backup that makes things happen and look out if he develops a reliable jump shot.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dang, I forgot we even lost Ish Smith on this deal. Bummer.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

He's part of the cost of a 1st round pick.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Trading Ish saved the Rockets almost a million bucks, plus it enabled the team to save $2 million more by working out a buyout with Jeffries (either Ish or Jeffries would have needed to be waived regardless).

Plus, if Memphis waives him, the Rockets can always pick him up again. That is, IF the Rockets don't draft a better option next month.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pat, I don't understand the poll. I have little faith that the guy will pan out. But that doesn't necessarily mean Memphis "made us take him." I could just be a Morey gamble that I don't agree with.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am an optimist.

Really What all do we need for him to do?
    One of the reasons I wanted R.A. back is because
    I think we have seen incremental increase in Hayes' game.
    I think the same could have happened for Thabeet's Defense and Offense

If the kid can clog the middle
    learn the alley oop [CATOMIC BOMB STYLE]
    Grab a few rebounds. . . he could be a top 15~20 Center in a watered down center league.

Rocket River

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo.

All he needs to do is master his role on defense. There is no doubt in my mind that he can be Perkins esque. He needs to master his rotations and hit the weight room hard. Two things that can be accomplished with hard work and good coaching.

It WILL take 2-3 more years of development, and we have to be VERY patient with him, baby steps.

When his contract is over, we can re-sign him for extremely cheap, and have a gigantic, solid back-up C.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Dragic made Ish expendable, and HT (just realized Thabeet's initials are "short" for "tall") gives us a tall, athletic center for development. I know I am an optimist, but I really believe HT can develop the footwork to make him a top 10 center in a year or two. I applaud Morey for rolling the dice on that trade.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Guys....

He can't play at all.

He doesn't like basketball, he has no work ethic.

Kendrick Perkins? Top ten center? You have got to be kidding me.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: Can he be better than Manute Bol [R.I.P.] or Shawn Bradley?
    I think he can . . . They had solid careers.
    I think they [The Rockets] can make HT as good as those guys
    [Well . . he won't get Manute's 3 pt shot]

Rocket River

14. djimi

djimi Member

Hasheem needs to hear all the criticism he's getting now and he needs someone like Dream and Dikembe to motivate him. its very likely he will not ever be a good player in the NBA but i guess even its a 10%, it must have been better than keeping Shane and losing him for nothing this summer. Moneyball calculated risk? DM clock is ticking right now to deliver, im sure he's feeling the pressure more and more

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To be fair, I think people have questioned his motivation and work ethic, but really, no one knows...sometimes it takes the right coach to bring out the best in a player.

He is a 7'3" athletic guy, that right there is intriguing and worth a look, CD said he was very coachable, and no offense Larv, but I am going to go with what he says over the hacks in newspaper that parrot each other.

Let's give him some time, and hope the next coach is a guy that can motivate him....and teach him the big man's game....Kevin McHale could do that...lol.

DD

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

The fact that we're talking about him, has made this Thabeet acquisition a resounding success. Thabeet is going to pan out to nothing but the next Michael Olowokandi minus every bit of offense. Its just a pure PR move. Thabeet's big name, draft status, and a long line of history in the spotlight (positive or negative) will have made everyone turn their heads on the Rockets whether they are positively influenced or negatively influenced by this move.

Thabeet is a bust. Morey could have just gone out and signed Kwame Brown for the veterans minimum and he would have achieved everything he is ever going to achieve with Thabeet. The difference? The perceived "potential" of Thabeet leading to us starting thread after thread about Thabeet.

Morey's a genius.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that Memphis saw him as taking up roster space on a deep team, he costs a lot of money, hurts cap room and he is a constant reminder of a wasted high draft pick.

Rockets didn't trade Stromile Swift, they got rid of him. We gave up assets to get rid of him. My question is did Memphis do the same.

18. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I agree with your take on Thabeet, but on Swift I think you are mistaken. He was just part of the Gay for Battier trade, thrown in mainly to make the salaries match I think.

As far as Thabeet -- Memphis most certainly paid the Rockets a 1st rounder to take him and his 5+ Million guaranteed contract off their hands. And it was a terrible trade for Houston by the way -- maybe the worst Morey has made.

By taking that deal the Rockets made it easier for Memphis to resign Gasol in two ways -- by decreasing the amount of money they could offer him by 5 Mill and by freeing up 5 Mill (10 if you count the luxury tax) for Memphis to give him.

Think how much money the Rockets would have to pursue an actual NBA player to play the Center position this offseason if they did no have 10 Million dollars tied up in Miller and Thabeet.

Those two moves have by themselves radically decreased my confidence level in Morey.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No work ethic? Even Carrol Dawson says that worked hard enough. Sheesh! You at least have to give the guy 3-4 seasons before you call him a bust. He'll be ready by next season to get good minutes in the rotation.

20. jets fool

jets fool Member

after we made the trade i looked on a grizz board to see what they thoughlt...Quote houston seems optomistic and have patience but we all know better unquote
    God i hope this guy pans out