1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Teen Kills 4 People Drunk Driving, Only Gets Probation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my 18 year old neighbor killed 1 and put another in a coma/body cast and got 1 year of serving jail on weekends and a hefty probation sentence similar to the one here.

his license was revoked but he was able to ride a motorcycle.

the entire community was outraged. there were editorial letters to the local paper, followed by an open letter penned by the drunk driver.

he violated probation once and they took him away in the middle of the night in his underwear.

there's no way they prosecute a teenager to the fullest extent like that.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's not fair. As much as people hate it Teen's brains are still developing and are not adults. I agree that they should be held accountable but throwing kids in jail won't solve any problem.

They can become productive adults that can influence positively in society. Teach younger kids, become activists or what have you.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

but you eventually got your man . .. even if you had to trump up some charges . .. etc etc etc

Rocket River

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

So, you think reducing the severity of the consequences... by taking the "we all make mistakes" approach.... for recklessly taking four lives and endangering others... will better help him learn from the experience...?

Considering the circumstances... and the details of the incident... of how it all came actually happen... Do you think he'd be extended the same kind of understanding by the court if he belonged to the lower class... or even middle class...?

I just seriously doubt that this line of thinking towards his case... combined with his affluent entitled background... which likely contributed greatly towards something like this tragedy actually happening... isn't going to teach him anything other than to up the ante as to what he can get away with... If you can take four lives, put another in a coma, and get a slap on the wrist... What can't you get away with...

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point I think the Judge needs some time

Rocket River

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

So if the defense they use is to blame the parents, and it freakin works, can't a separate lawsuit be formed trying to pin the crime on the parents?

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, for starters, is there any proof that the defense's argument is the reason the judge gave this sentence, and not say, the fact that the perpetrator is 16 years old?

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Very true. My uncle received a DWI once and he is a commercial driver so this threatened his career. He got a good DWI lawyer and the police somehow "lost" the most incriminating evidence, video and the result of the test.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That kind of crap is going to come to an end in the near future with auto-uploading of digital media once a cop car hits the station. In some cases it might stream directly to a server.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I knew a kid exactly like this growing up. His Dad was totally rich and the parenting was non-existent. So, the kid became this total punk who didn't care about school, cared only about partying/spending money, and generally doing whatever he pleased regardless. As his friends in high school back then, we ate it up. We always wanted to be around him because he would just lift hundreds of dollars from his Dad's wallet and go on spending sprees taking us along. His parents were mostly not around so we could just party over at his house most of the time. But, he was in and out of trouble at school for fights and in and out of juvenile detention facilities. I guess he suffered from the same thing. "Affluenza" is it? Sounds like a rich person's virus. The only difference I can tell between my friend at the time and this guy is he didn't kill anyone during one of his "stunts" (even though he had plenty of opportunities) and he mostly just took money from his rich parents versus getting handouts. I really see no difference between my friend and this guy...other than this guy ended up killing several people as a side effect of his behavior. I always wondered what was wrong with my friend to where he acted so aloof about everything and just did whatever. Now I know. Thanks, Judge Boyd!

1 person likes this.
  12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

O.J. pretty much proved $$$ is over everything in the courts.

13. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

An eye for an eye would be having him stand by the road while the families of the victims run over him. Repeatedly.

No one is asking for "an eye for an eye". They're asking this near-adult to be held accountable for his reprehensible actions and character, and be punished with more than just the mild slap on the wrist he got.

This person needs to be punished by the court, 'cause it ain't happening at home.

14. paunguye

paunguye Member

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Cool story. Partly the victim's fault, right? Especially those good samaritans trying to help them. Yeah, they're totally responsible for part of this, just like women who dress provocatively share some blame for being raped.

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

So you disagree with his advice?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And they will suffer folks. This will ruin them. The civil suits, the reputation.

It's over for them so the best thing that can happen is this 16 year old will have a changed life. He will have to live with this and hopefully he can make a positive impact in the world. You can't do that behind bars and then eventually become a felon.

18. ILoveWhiteGirls

REEKO, my brother/ he killed 4 people!!!!! Those 4 people aren't coming back at all. He needs to be in solitary confinement or life in Jail or 40 yrs or something.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

OJ was not in Texas.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Come on man. OJ was a complete idiot. When he wasn't convicted of murder, he should have taken all of his ****, left the country, and moved to South America or Asia or somewhere where they would have never had any idea who he was. He should have lived on a beach in total anonymity. The crap he pulled in Vegas was completely on him and (while the sentencing was harsh) he got what he deserved. OJ learned that sometimes you have to pay the stupid tax.