1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas State vs Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Aug 27, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

People were pissed because Briles poached recruits and used UH resources to help Baylor, in addition to making this grand gesture about staying here, and then bolting a few days before the bowl game.

Sumlin left in a much more honorable fashion, but anytime a coach leaves for a rival program people are going to be butthurt.

I have not heard one person say that either of those guys "didn't really do anything for the program".

Not really sure why Matt Jackson had it out for Penders, but that wouldn't have been such a bad move had they replaced him with someone other than James friggin' Dickey.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So they lose a guy who was OC at SFA and replace him with a guy who was OC at UTSA and Texas State. Hmmmm.

Maybe they just now realized that it was a bad idea to reach on a coach because they wanted to keep the Air Raid and that's the offense he ran. As far as I know, Bush has no experience with that that kind of offense. They certainly didn't run it at Texas State or UTSA.

3. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Hey Maury, if you really want to tank, take a few notes from the AD at UH, unfortunately for college programs, sucking doesn't get you high picks, just a laughing stock.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Maybe that's the point. When your best player only touches the ball 12 times (3 in the 2nd half), you've got to rethink your strategy.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Two days later...still feels good, man.

1 person likes this.
  6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I'll bet it does. Maybe Fran can take you guys to a bowl.

7. Cannonball

Due to a potential lack of teams to fill all the bowls, the NCAA may allow first year FBS teams to be bowl eligible if they have the record to get in. But as it is now, Texas State, UTSA, South Alabama, and UMass are bowl ineligible this season.

EDIT: Check that, I think the NCAA did change the rules and Texas State and UTSA ARE bowl eligible this year if they get to 6 wins.

#148 Cannonball, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  8. Refman

How unfortunate. I am now pulling for Texas State to get to 6 wins so we can point out again how stupid the NCAA is.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Texas State is not a good football team, they were just a product of UH's system.

10. Refman

Maybe. If their team speed is what I heard it is, they should do well in conference, and six wins is not out of the question.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Six wins is never out of the question this early in the year for any team (except maybe UH, heh heh). I hate to be "that guy", but as well as TXST played (smart play calling and few turnovers/penalties), UH played far, far worse. The first reaction from most people watching that game probably wasn't "wow, TXST looks great!" it was more than likely "holy ****, UH looks terrible".

The main storyline seems to be Piland's unforced errors and the defense's inability to stop the run up the middle in the 1st half (pretty common of most UH defenses). I know it's a typical reaction from most fans when their team loses to try to give as little credit as possible to the opponent (a la fatty when tech lost to UH), but I have no axe to grind with TXST, and I wish them well.

I don't know how the WAC looks this year besides La Tech, but if I'm a Texas State fan, I take this win with a grain of salt (enjoy the hell out of it either way). This was not the same team that won 36 games over the last 4 years. The immediate dismissal of Nesbitt backs up that theory. If we had played well but our opponents just played better, nobody is out on their ass this morning. Food for thought.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Eat 'um up cats! Hopefully this can be the start of a rilvary.

And stop calling us TSU! We are not f'n TSU!!! :mad:

13. Cannonball

I get why people would make the assumption and wouldn't have cared what the abbreviation was when we were FCS, but FYI for everybody:

TSU = Texas Southern
    TSU = Tarleton State
    TXST = Texas State

Donny's already on board.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm happy for Texas State, but let's not put them in a bowl just yet. This is the same team that got rolled by both FBS schools they faced last year and barely eeked out wins against the likes of Tarleton State and Prairie View.

EDIT: I just looked at the current WAC and yeah...they could get 6 wins this year. Is that even an FBS conference anymore? Sam Houston (currently ranked #1 in FCS) would run the table in that conference.

They may even surprise your Aggies next month...

15. Cannonball

The WAC will officially fold as a football conference next year. Everybody was leaving except Idaho and New Mexico State and they couldn't find any replacement teams. Texas State is going to the Sun Belt, UTSA and Louisiana Tech are going to C-USA, and Utah State and San Jose State are joining the Mountain West.

FWIW, Texas State actually got votes in the AP poll.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

And San Marcos has already started selling tickets for losing to Texas Tech party next weekend.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Still can't figure out why TxST turned down C-USA...twice. How was that not better than a clearly faded WAC or a horrible Sun Belt?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not that I think it'll happen, but they had the lead in Lubbock last year doing the same exact thing they did on Saturday. They just stopped holding onto the ball.

Too bad they'll never get a chance to find out. So sad.

19. Cannonball

They never turned down C-USA. C-USA explored them as an option but never extended an offer. Believe me, Texas State fans would be irate if we turned that down. We dislike our AD very much who never seems to take initiative and takes the path of least resistance. For example, the move to FBS was initiated by the Associated Student Government. While recognizing that UTSA has the San Antonio market, Texas State fans are still upset that they're going to C-USA (even a somewhat watered down version) while we're going to the Sun Belt. At least C-USA has other Texas schools. If the AD had turned down a move to C-USA, the fans would be using it in their ammunition against him but it's never mentioned because it never happened.

#160 Cannonball, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012