1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Democratic lawmakers attack rep for calling ICE on illegal alien protesters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, May 29, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The funniest part of that tragic film (incident) was watching the Grateful Dead's reaction when someone told them, "The Hells Angels are beating up musicians... punched Marty Balin." Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir were like, "**** this" and took off.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the person who wants to turn the lives of other humans that they never meet upside down over a civil offense just because they disagree with them is more morally reprehensible than the person you throws a haymaker at said individual for being such a piece of ****.

An outsider with a non sociopath personality who has no clue about the liberal/conservative political paradigm here in the States would probably reach the same conclusion.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If that's your opinion then why have the crime exist in the first place? you clearly think it shouldn't be executed.

Here would be a better question, why do you think immigration laws exist?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would liken it to someone posting a picture of themselves doing drugs. You are giving probable cause to anybody that wants to make a big deal about it by demonstrating that you are technically commiting a crime according to the legal code of the USA.

You just gave ICE the legal right to ask for your papers, in case they feel like making a big deal about it.

If you walk into the police station an light up a joint, you're going to jail, even if we all agree that pot should be legal or even just decriminalized. The bottom line is the criminal code as currently written says it isn't.

And as much as I think it should be legal, I stand by calling you a dumbass if you light up that joint in front of the po-po. It's just plain reckless, and the fact that these people are now locked up in ICE custody demonstrates that pretty conclusively to me.

5. fchowd0311

Why do traffic laws exist? Why do jaywalking laws exist?

Selectively enforcing it based on their political ideology is disgusting. Not only that, the empathy factor exists in that I will not turn a family's life upside down because they decided to protest.

Don't play this strawman game her where I don't agree with immigration enforcement.

I personally would have pummeled the dude to the ground for pulling that ****. I don't really care what you think of me.

6. fchowd0311

Undocumented immigrants have a long history of protesting in the States. There is a proper time for immigration enforcement. What if many of these people simply were brought over when they were infants and now are young adults? They can never be vocal about the predicament they had no choice in? That seems rather inhumane and lacking in empathy.

7. tallanvor

whats the legal punishment for those? whats the legal punishment for illegal immigration? Again why do immigration laws exist?

8. fchowd0311

Do you believe immigration laws should be enforced selectively?
    If yes, do you believe that selectivity should be based on political beliefs?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see it as nothing more than warning someone of the consequences of their actions. You tell me you are going to "get me" on my way home? Fair enough, but if you do, you'll just end up dead.

As to your, "i'm gonna get you in a court of law" bit....I mean c'mon, I get spin but that's just laughable given the context of it being a "hold me back" situation and the actual words used, you don't say "I'm gonna get you in a court of law outside".

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're arguing they should be allowed to protest. No disagreement. I agree they should. But I also understand who the buffoon in the White House is and how he's directed ICE to act under his administration. I wish he wasn't there, but he is. There is ample warning in the dark direction that this country has turned to realize that wearing a sign that says, "I'm an illegal immigrant" could turn out badly.

Another exanple -

I firmly believe that women shouldnt have to wear a veil/headscarf. But if I visit Saudi Arabia, I make damn sure my wife wears one because I know if she doesn't, some religious police thug might beat the crap out of her.

#30 Ottomaton, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me that's the funniest part about this whole ordeal, a group of people publicly admit to breaking the law and they are shocked and outraged when those who are tasked with preventing that kind of thing rounds them up for it. If you are dumb enough to tell the world that you are currently breaking the law, you should not be surprised when you get caught.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

People talking about doing drugs all the time without any fear that such discussion will form the basis of probable cause. In a story on NPR just this weekend about body image issues (great story, btw), the journalist says in one clip she's on speed at that moment. They played it on the radio. I don't think she's in a jail cell right now. If all these protesters' signs instead said "I'm high right now" would Rinaldi be commendable for calling the DEA to come round them up?

Btw, did ICE take anyone into custody there? My understanding was that DPS cleared the gallery.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. tallanvor

how is it being implemented selectively? Someone saw a crime and they reported it.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If protesters had signs that said "I'm high right now" or "I'm carrying drugs on my person right now" and a cop decided to search them and found the drugs I would think it was every bit as funny and I don't think anyone should get triggered by it even though I think most prohibition laws are moronic. If you flaunt the fact that you are breaking the law in public, you should expect attention from law enforcement.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yep, it's when you discover an undocumented immigrant.

16. fchowd0311

If you don't have a single bone of empathy within you, sure.

I think you are the type of individual to see pleasure in a family having their life turned upside down because of a civil offense. SO I'm barking up the wrong tree.

And no, there is no pragmatism in deporting those protesters. It wouldn't make a dent and there is a solid chance a few of them might be educated productive members of society.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, we don't know the full context- but you're right, I'm guessing that's not what "I'll get you" meant. Still, methinks the guy is still a bit overdramatic. At the same time, I'm personally a bit protest-burnt-out. I don't know how some of these people have time to protest. Then again, it's a very sore subject for some.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the democratic rep who said "ill see you outside" is a jackass.
    the republican rep who said "ill put a bullet in your head" is a jackass with a small penis.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Really? Someone who reports a crime is more morally reprehensible than an individual who threatens another individual (a crime)?

20. fchowd0311

Yes in this instance absolutely. I can phrase anything to sound silly.

Yes, being petty and turning families' lives upside down because you disagree with them politically is disgusting and yes I would need to be restrained also if somebody pulled that **** in front of me.