1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There are stories saying otherwise. My first link said she got let in. I've been assuming these other stories are coming from witnesses.

The CNN account also did not come from the Texas Rangers. They are on record as saying they don't know how she got in.

[edit] Here's the other account. We'll see. I think this is highly relevant wrt charges of 2nd Degree or Manslaughter, and she probably knows that now.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Your first and second paragraph appear to contradict each other. You admit that all cops treat people differently according to their race (and, according to you, this is justified). But you don’t want to acknowledge the likelihood that the victim’s race was a factor in this incident?

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yeah the whole story sounds weird. Like it was the best bunch of crap she could come up with in short notice to justify shooting the guy. I understand maybe on vacation going to the wrong room, but she LIVES at this place...unless she was extremely high, how could you not identify the myriad of nuances to your apt floor, apt door, and try to force your way in? And if she truly lacks this much attention to detail, how the f#ck would you let her have a job where she can legally weld a firearm for her job? She had to have been high...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

GTFO you troll! Dude was in his own house and this miss piggy is a murderer.

amaru likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It is weird there is video of her pacing back and forth on the phone versus tending to the guy she shot...

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

More black people are killed than white people as well despite being only 13% of the population. African American communities tend to be poorer which usually have more crime. 80% of white people are killed by white people. 90% of black people are killed by black people. I don't think being black means you are violent. I think places with high poverty have more violence.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Apartment floors can look very similar. And maybe the door was near the elevator.

I don't think entering into the wrong apartment is all that strange, really. It's an easy mistake to make if you get off on the wrong floor and aren't fully concentrating.

But people who have guns need to be responsible enough to think a little more about the situation they're in before they fire it at someone. I don't care if (they think) they are in their own home or not. It doesn't speak well to the quality of police training that this person would commit such an error. You'd think she would be more poised in that situation, but maybe her training has the opposite effect?

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I don't think it is man...similar yes...but damn there are usually a ton of things different...decorations, stains on the ground and walls, and of course she pushed the wrong number on the elevator and didn't look at a single number on any of the doors that were totally different than the ones she usually sees. The second that elevator door opened any normal person would be like "whoa, uh...wait...ah damn wrong floor". Even if the rooms were close to the elevator...but that's just me. :/

edit: Looking at that video of her pacing the building did look rather bland and generic on each floor. Who knows.

#89 Severe Rockets Fan, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Even if you accept that premise, the thing to do in such a situation is wait outside the door and call backup. An apartment more so than a house because there is only one door and a cop more so than a CCW holder because a direct line to the DPD.

People seem to be using the fact that she is tarded to defend the fact she murdered someone.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Have you watched the witness videos? It's not near the elevator, fwiw. Much of this is irrelevant, though.

The big thing is if she actually lied. She is on record saying the door popped open on its own when she pressed in her key. Witnesses appear to be saying they heard knocking and a woman saying "let me in" over and over. It was 10:00p. Witnesses are awake at that time.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Weird that her social media was wiped...

[​IMG]

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

And people wonder why kapernick kneels.

Rashmon and amaru like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Remember the stop and frisk program? It's a tactic used in NYC for close to a decade. They would stop anybody that looks suspicious and search them. It's basically racial profiling as 90% of the people that were stopped were African American or Latino.

When the program was stopped, there were huge warning that it would cause crimes to go up.

Not only that didn't happen, it went down.

Profiling is plain wrong and people that are likely subjected to it are of course mad. Worse, it's probably counter productive - people that are subjected to profiling do not like it, is less likely to trust police and thus less likely to report crimes or to assists police. Whether this is completely true or not, we don't need to do the wrong thing when we now have better and more effective means at policing.

Just said no to doing wrong to your fellow citizens.

New York City murder rate heading toward historic low, stats show

Police brass have touted the department’s anti-gang efforts and credit their emphasis on targeting street crews and repeat offenders for the sharp drop in shootings.

The NYPD also point to its new precision policing approach as a more effective alternative to stopping and frisking people in minority neighborhoods — a widely criticized tactic used by cops under former Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

JeffB likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

the opposite happened in London. what's your conclusion there? Most people, including the mayor, are calling for it's return.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't follow London, so I have no comment.

EDIT: so i read a bit on it. They are bringing back targeted stop and search. They are trying to be more effective and intelligent about who they stop (maybe this is closer to the new precision policing in NYC). It's not clear when they started this again and how successful it is at 1) reducing crime, 2) actually were effective at stopping the right people and 3) not pushing some class of citizen away and not trusting police

Again, I don't know London, don't know their laws and how comparable they are to the US. So, I'm not even sure it's a fair comparison.

What we do know is in NYC, there are better method and so why do wrong to your fellow citizens when you don't have to ?

#96 Amiga, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  17. Bandwagoner

They are "calling" for it come back including the Khan mayor. It hasn't come back, the political pressure for it to come back is because of the massive rise in violence once it was discontinued.

I think you are "not familiar" because it is data that doesn't fit your idea that a stop and search program is ineffective when I think the data is clear a preventative policing policy is much better than a reactive one.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with it because I was not. What an ass.

heypartner likes this.
  19. Bandwagoner

I inform you, explain why I think you were lacking in knowledge and you resort to name calling. People love their bubbles.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm sure Mr. Jean is happy about that. I mean maybe it didn't work out in his case, but a million cops entering a million apartments and shooting a million black people, the statistics will eventually work out where they were right slightly more often than they were wrong. And we can all take comfort in that.

Anyway, the problem we mostly have to contend with here is not how race motivated the cop to pull the trigger, but to what extent will that blue uniform deter prosecutors and juries from rendering justice.

It might be obvious in the sense that, for people familiar with the daily business of the courts, this is the expected and usual outcome. And maybe that's fair too if Billy Bob the tractor salesman would have gotten the same charge. But for a member of the interested public looking at this, reading the statute, etc, it is really hard to fathom why the assailant's disorientation should make her less culpable for her crime. This is the same state where you can be charged for murder when your partner-in-crime kills someone, or when a cop kills somebody while trying to apprehend you. Obviously, having informed agency is not a universal prerequisite to get a murder charge.

It does seem the separation between manslaughter and murder is a judgment call. And of course the prosecutor does not have a lot of credibility to say it so happens that the lesser charge is more appropriate for a police officer. Because after all, reading the definition of murder, it sounds like it could fit. Maybe it is the right charge, or the achievable target. But, if they don't pursue murder, what can a prosecutor say to justify it? Appealing to professional expertise is probably not sufficient here.

macho GRANDE likes this.