1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Chick should rot in jail for life...if not worse. I doubt they'll give her the death penalty but they should. This reeks of something else though. The whole situation sounds unbelievable.

adoo likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

plenty of ultra white dudes with hispanic names. I'm sure some percentage of them are dorks with no style.

In any case she seems to have a diversity of shooting victims in 4 short years.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is irrelevant. There's no contention that police kill or abuse white people because they're white.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's probably talking about absolute number, and fail to understand what absolute number means.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It honestly just depends on the facts of the situation. According to a quick read of CNN, she went to the same apartment as hers on the wrong floor, entered the apartment when the door was ajar, and mistakenly shot somebody that she thought was robbing her apartment.

IMO manslaughter is the obvious choice.

Texas Penal Code Section 19.02 Murder
    (a) In this section:

(1) “Adequate cause” means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

(2) “Sudden passion” means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.

(b) A person commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual;  or

(3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.

(d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause.  If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree.

Texas Penal Code Section 19.04 Manslaughter
    (a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.

Definition Help:
    Knowingly. Person acts Knowingly, or with knowledge with respect to the nature of his conduct or to circumstances surrounding his conduct when he is aware of the nature of his conduct or that the circumstances exist. Person acts knowingly, or with knowledge with that his conduct is reasonably certain to cause the result.
    Intentionally. Person acts Intentionally, or with intent with respect to the nature of his conduct or to a result of his conduct when it is his conscious objective or desire to engage in the conduct or cause the result.
    Recklessly. Person acts Recklessly, or is reckless with respect to circumstances surrounding his conduct or the result of his conduct when he is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that circumstances exist or the result will occur.

I should also say, for my friend @Rocket River, within the legal community it is pretty common knowledge of how corrupt the police can be. Lying under oath/making up charges, planting evidence, etc. Spend some time with any PDs and you'll hear the horror stories.

#65 LongTimeFan, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    durvasa likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't see how the act was reckless instead of intentional. that seems to be the crux and to me it is intentional all the way. No part of the Reckless definition fits the situation at all.

She has no occupied habitation protection from castle doctrine. She didn't drive sleepily and kill him with a car. She intentionally pointed a weapon and fired it well that resulted in death.

If his neighbor took one through a wall and died I would say that would be manslaughter as she recklessly fired bullets in an apartment building but consciously disregarded the substantial risk of what is on the other side.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right because she's white. If she were black, it would be more plausible it was intentional and she was just making up this story

8. biina

biina Member

Murder charges should be tenable

9. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Yet she's still being paid. 1.5 hours detained. In a "rural" county. Has hired a PR firm. DPD and Texas Rangers already playing hot potato.
    Where's Mookie with the trash can when we need him to Do The Right Thing?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Oh the police will kill you if you are white... but you have to be trash or poor. They have no problem shooting if you have a shaved head, tattooed or look like trouble.

Having said that, I don’t think he is dead if he is a she or isn’t a larger black man.

Being a black man is being a boogeyman in America.

amaru and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im referring specially to the post i quoted. Thats why i quoted it

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Just stating a FACT

#72 pgabriel, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bullcrap. A civilian suspect would have been arrested immediately and named immediately.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Her story that she went to the wrong apartment and mistook him for an intruder sounds plausible, but it should be irrelevant. She shot a man in his own home when she had no reason to be there. Nobody else can do that and get such light charges.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine this was planned. If someone was going to plan to kill a guy, they wouldn't come up with the idea of going to his door and shooting the guy then saying, "Oops! Wrong house". That isn't the kind of thing that happens if somebody put any kind of planning into it.

I don't know the story. But it is tragic. It's absolutely horrible.

Newlin, jcf, Exiled and 1 other person like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I meant to erase the stuff about her cleansing the account. I do believe cops shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as politicians

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The first shooting is irrelevant

Whatever happened she ia completely justified for shooting someone who took her weapon

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When she gets off the end result is

It does not matter . . ..
    In uniform or out of uniform
    On Duty or Off duty
    Right or Wrong

Cops have the right to invalidate your rights and or kill you at anytime
    You must obey them at all times. . .. . even when they don't identify themselves as cops
    they can kill you and the courts will support them

Rocket River
    The cops are truly becoming the SS
    "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!!!":

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. Senator

Senator Member

13% of population is African Americans, and they commit more violent crimes than 65% of whites and asians combined. Cops of all colors profile for a reason.. it saves lives.

This is a terrible tragedy and she will serve time , but focusing your anger on her and pretending you know it was racially motivated as to somehow validate your hardships will not solve the root cause of your frustration.