1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. amaru

amaru Member

There is still time for the usual BS though. Sentencing is still pending.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

They were streaming the case on Youtubea

3. Buck Turgidson

Shouldn't be less than 20

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

Wow, are we sure we're even in America? Great job to the judge and the prosecutor, this was one of those cases that usually get drawn out for years, the officer ends up getting no time and ends up in another police department. Hopefully Mr. James' family can now proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit against the police department and try to move on if that's even possible

Any time at all is a victory, she probably gets 15 and will serve 6

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

20 years with a minimum served of 10 sounds about right.

Perhaps a smidge lower.

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I think this attitude is sick. It was an accident, not murder. Yes she shouldn't get off because she is a cop but should not be charged with purposefully killing someone because of an accident.

Cop goes to jail for 20 years for a complete accident and and then its sue, sue, sue.

Where does that money come from? Tax payers. Not sure why the police department should pay
    for a matter of a cop who was off duty and made a mistake.

The joy in an accident is really sick.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly.
    This is only Step 2

History growing
    Step 1 - Getting an indictment use to be insane
    Step 2 - Getting a conviction use to be insane
    Step 3 - Can we get just sentence?

Rocket River

8. Fantasma Negro

Dude you have no idea what this woman's intentions were. You don't know if she and Mr. James had a relationship or not. You have no details of who this woman even is or what she's done in her past. The Prosecutor did their job and so did the judge. I haven't lived in an apartment for about fifteen years but the last time I did, I worked 17 hour days and still managed to climb to the third floor and use a key to get into my door. She's an employee of the police department and said she identified herself as an officer before shooting Mr. James, that sounds like an officer involved shooting that led to a death. The department gave her the gun and badge so they are responsible for what she does with it. Wrongful death suit doesn't mean his family cleans out the city but their ****ing son is gone. Don't behave as if you'd become mother Theresa if you lost a loved one, they deserve compensation for their pain

#688 Fantasma Negro, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I agree that there is no joy to be found here. Multiple lives ruined.

Entering his apartment was an accident. The shooting, however, was not. That was purposeful. She testified she intended to kill him, and a bullet through the heart was proof enough. She shot to kill. By Texas' standards, that's murder.

Whether it was a mistake/accident that led to that is irrelevant, because pulling the trigger on a gun aimed at a man's chest was not an accident.

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

how is it an accidnet ? did she accidently pull her gun, accidenty fire it ? are you stupid ?

she saw a big scary black man and killed him. i doubt the same thing happens if she entered a white woman's apartment.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tripping on a slippery surface is an accident. Pointing a gun at a human being and pulling the trigger is not an accident.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You really need to read up on this case. The women had every intention to kill the victim. She literally admitted that in court. There's obviously evidence that convinced the jury to go for Murder and not manslaughter.

Are you blaming the Jury?

BTW once an officer is convicted of a felony like Murder they stop being represented and protected by the union.

She's have to pay for her appeals herself or a go fund me lol.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't expect any Back the Blue riots or anything. But, I do expect there's going to be some lingering right-wing resentment over this conviction.

I expect the punishment to be on the lower end of the spectrum. She might fit all the criteria for murder, but she's still a sympathetic case. I expect less than 10 years.

Happy for the Jean family to get justice. Sorry for Guyger and Jean that she made such a terribly rash and unwise choice and must suffer the consequence.

14. dmoneybangbang

There’s a term for accidentally killing someone... and a corresponding sentence for this term...

It does suck that the public ultimately pays the price for bad cop behavior.

15. MystikArkitect

If a city truck tbones someone.

If a bridge collapses.

So on and so forth. This case had so many crazy social implications. She was a bad combination of entitled white woman, corrupt officer, and gun nut America that fetishizes killing someone.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Can you elaborate?

17. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure there's a case against the police department here. She wasn't on duty or doing anything as a cop - she was a private citizen entering someone's home. They could sue her, but I don't see how the police department is involved in this one.

Nook, DaDakota and pgabriel like this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Do you? If not...what's your point here? Unless you can conclusively indicate something in her past, or what her ulterior intentions worth...you can throw out all sorts of unfounded rumours and inuendo, none of which matters in the slightest. I don't think anything came up in the trial providing any of this. Indicating that there wasn't any. Meaning, we DO know they weren't in a relationship, and that there wasn't anything in her past indicating why she did this. If there were, it certainly would have come up in the trial. Meaning, as far as we all know, that the story remains...she entered that apartment on accident, thinking it was her own, and then shot the man who was in it.

I certainly am NOT indicating she did nothing wrong here. But there doesn't seem to have been anything indicating she went in there knowing who was there, and intending to kill him.

Was this murder? To me, no, but legally it would seem that maybe the answer is yes. She admitted she pulled the trigger intending to kill. BUT she also indicated she felt threatened. Was it reasonable to feel threatened in that situation? It would seem the jury decided 'no'. They know a lot more about the case than I do. For myself, not being a legal scholar...this seemed to me that she definitely killed someone who didn't deserve it, and there certainly should be ramifications of that, but murder, to me, implies she did go in there intending to kill him, and there was no evidence that that was the case. ie, wrongful death? definitely. Murder? Seemed to me, no. But then she's the one who said herself that she pulled the trigger intending to kill, so....

Given all that, I wouldn't be surprised if the sentence were towards the lower end of the spectrum. Which, fwiw, is still significant.

As for suing the police department...one would have to demonstrate the police department were at fault here. So...what puts them at fault?

19. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed. "Back the Blue" and "Blue Lives Matter" aren't real movements, they only came into being in an effort to silence the "Black Lives Matter Movement". She still represents police officers so her sentence will reflect that.

Nook and Rocket River like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well since you were clearly on the Jury and heard all the testimony - oh wait, no you werent.

DD