1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where is that detail from (that she didn’t walk in on her own)?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Look at post #3. The media does make it sound like she was in the apartment. I had forgotten that he let her in. Obviously that makes sense but makes it more stupid like a burglar would answer the door

The question is after key not working why doesn't she realize she is at the wrong apartment

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't had the chance to read through this thread but so pardon me if this was discussed earlier.

This case does point out the problems of Stand Your Ground laws where not having a the duty to retreat creates all sorts of muddy situations. In situations like this, the Trayvon Martin Case, and others one thing I often consider is what if things played out the opposite way? Guyger's defense is that she acted reasonably out of self-defense and didn't need to retreat. IN other words she stood her ground even though if she had simply retreated, allowed the door to close she could've easily resolved the situation by realizing she made a mistake. Consider the flip side of if Jean had killed Guyger. It seems like that would've been very valid under Texas' stand your ground law and castle doctrine as she was intruding in on his house. We have no way of knowing this for sure but I think a very valid argument is that Jean stood up to confront Guyger because he interrupted it as an invasion of his house and was acting in what he interpreted self-defense.

If Guyger is found non-guilty this will show how these type of self-defense laws that do not emphasize retreat can lead to tragic results.

Kim and JuanValdez like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I would think she was at the very least trespassing so I can't see how stand your ground could apply.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

These are all about selective enforcement
    had Jean killed her. . . he would spend a good portion of his life in prison
    it would not even be questioned

Rocket River

macho GRANDE, amaru and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don’t think it should apply either but the basis of her defense is that she acted reasonably and didn’t need to retreat. It might not be specifically stand your ground but that is part of the argument.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is very possible but if we consider that position Jean should be protected under the castle doctrine and stand your ground.

I bought that up because any actions that Guyger might’ve interpreted as aggressive by Jean even if they were meant to be aggressive by Jean would fit in with Texas self-defense laws. My point is is that laws that don’t require retreat as the first option can lead to situations like this.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. likestohypeguy

I think the jury will likely give her manslaughter.

Yeah. If the roles were reversed, he walked into her apartment, shot her while she was eating ice cream & wearing pocketless (lol) shorts, whoo boy.

amaru likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I understand you have cause to be cynical. But, honestly, I doubt he'd be charged if he shot her after she barged into his apartment.

pgabriel likes this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

She’s white

12. amaru

amaru Member

I would be flabbergasted

macho GRANDE and Rocket River like this.
  13. AstrosRockets1818

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

15. CometsWin

Bo's dead.

JuanValdez and amaru like this.
  16. CometsWin

This is garbage.

FranchiseBlade and joshuaao like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is exactly what I was talking about regarding how these stand your ground can muddy self-defense and lead to tragedies.

CometsWin and jcf like this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The castle doctrine is horribly broken if one simply has to "believe" they are on their own property. How that crap made it into law is mind boggling. If she's acquitted on those grounds there will be riots, and I can't say they won't be justified.

#658 DonnyMost, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Apparently you can stand your ground when you break into someone else's home? This is like an Onion article come to life with not hilarious consequences.

Rashmon, Kim, superfob and 1 other person like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Not surprising......she only killed a negro after all. I'm surprised she isn't getting a medal.