1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M to SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not if A&M makes a BCS bowl, which is possible in the weak big 12, not so much in the SEC

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I agree with everything but the bolded part. As far as winning games, I don't see how anyone could think A&M has a better chance to do that in the SEC. Short or long term. I also don't see much of a talent upgrade because the kids they get to leave SEC states won't be much better than the kids in their own backyard (no, I'm not expecting them to get the top studs frrom Bama or FL, over the schools there). They have been having top classes with just Texas players, right?

3. Icehouse

Also, how much will A&M have to pay to leave?

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

If Vandy can make a bowl (and remember, that was after Cutler graduated), then A+M can make a bowl.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he said BCS bowl game.

6. MadMax

$20 million, i think...not sure if that's right

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Hopefully they don't let bitterness get in the way of a yearly rivalry. It might be hard though to keep it for the 1st few years since all the non-conference games are filled.

I think they should go. It's a better fit culturally. They seem to have a big beef with texas. As a UT fan, I'm tired of hearing about it. Seems like a win all the way around.

Who knows what would happen to the Big 12. I don't see it immediately falling apart. I do think the PAC 12 would take UT with their own network since OU would come with them.

It was 10 each for Nebraska and Colorado. 20 total.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow, they are moving fast to avoid the Texas Legislature forcing them to stay, they are a STATE institution and subject to the governance of the state, so I guess they felt they had to do it in a hurry.

A rash decision made out of jealousy of their neighbors here in Austin, they will regret it.

DD

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is no jealousy. TAMU doesn't care about UT in this scenario. TAMU just wants what's best for them. It's everyone else that seems to think TAMU is making this move because of Texas and the LHN. It's not. They're just using LHN as an excuse to bolt from the weakened Big 12 to greener pastures.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well Liucci's latest updatemakes me nervous ... Sounds like there are a lot of influences being pounded into the SEC presidents making them nervous about who is the 14th team .. Hope they dont get cold feet tomorrow morning. He says its still would be a shocker if they didnt approve A&M but the Big XII is doing everything it can to stop this including threatening a lawsuit against the SEC. Going to be a very interesting 24 hours ...

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

A&M wont regret it. Leaving UT behind and going to the best conf in the nation wont be regretable. It's about time a&m cut the cord from UT and went their own way.

UT is going to hurt much more if the big 12 gets dissolved.

Is the move out of jealousy? sure, that has something to do with it. But, it's time.

12. Icehouse

What can the state do as punishment for them jumping the gun?

13. MadMax

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1251456

August 13, 2011

Chip Brown

Orangebloods.com Columnist

There may be some bumps in the road for Texas A&M and the Aggies' ability to make a clean break for the Southeastern Conference.

Dan Branch, R-Dallas, the chairman of the House Higher Education Committee told Orangebloods.com on Saturday that it would be "highly inappropriate" for the Texas A&M Board of Regents to take any action during a Monday meeting that would finalize a move to the SEC.

Branch called a hearing of his committee for Tuesday and invited Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin and Texas A&M regents chair Richard Box to testify about why this would be in the best interest of A&M and the state of Texas.

"It's my understanding the regents meeting on Monday is to begin negotiations, not complete them - assuming the SEC extends an offer," Branch told Orangebloods.com. "It would be important to the Legislature that the regents not complete anything before lawmakers get to ask some questions.

"It's my understanding from talking to A&M officials that it may take a week or two weeks to finalize any conference realignment anyway."

On Friday, Texas A&M moved up a meeting of the regents from Aug. 22 to Monday - one day before Branch's scheduled hearing on Texas A&M's current situation. The move looked like a game of beat-the-clock with lawmakers.

An administrator at a Big 12 school told Orangebloods.com that the Atlantic Coast Conference has a meeting planned for Monday with its 12 schools to reaffirm their commitment to each other.

This comes after Doug Gottlieb of ESPN reported that Missouri, Clemson and Florida State could be joining Texas A&M in the SEC.

Missouri athletic director Mike Alden denied any contact between the Tigers and the SEC to several media outlets, including PowerMizzou.com. Behind the scenes, Missouri is also telling the rest of the Big 12 that any contact with the SEC hasn't happened.

A Big 12 official told me that Oklahoma continues to tell the rest of the Big 12 that it is not interested in joining the SEC. The SEC definitely reached out to OU during its courtship of Texas A&M, the source said. The source said Bob Stoops has indicated to OU officials that the best path to win championships is in the Big 12, not the SEC, in part because the Big 12 no longer has a championship game.

The New York Times reported Saturday that an SEC official said there is a 30 to 40 percent chance the SEC presidents will reject Texas A&M as the 13th member of the conference.

Two sources told Orangebloods.com the SEC presidents are expected to meet at 10 am Sunday in Atlanta.

The New York Times report said SEC presidents are concerned about the perception of being a conference raider.

A source inside the Big 12 said there could be legal action against the SEC if it appears there is tortious interference on the part of the SEC in helping to break Texas A&M's TV contracts in the Big 12.

A Big 12 source said if the ACC reaffirms its commitment to each other, and the SEC doesn't have a 14th school to invite, the SEC presidents could balk at bringing in Texas A&M.

The Big 12 athletic directors - minus Texas A&M - are scheduled to be on a conference call at 3 p.m. CT Saturday.

They will discuss Texas A&M's situation and what a 9-team Big 12 would look like and what the league should do next - if anything - in terms of possibly adding one or more schools if A&M moves on.

Before last summer's realignment, the short list of schools to add to the Big 12 if a school ever left included BYU and Air Force, according to high-ranking sources in the league.

Houston has been mentioned as a possible candidate, but two Big 12 officials told Orangebloods.com on Saturday that Houston is not high on the list of replacements.

The Houston Chronicle reported Friday that Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe told an unnamed A&M official that Texas was the key to the Big 12 and that the league would survive without Texas A&M.

Big 12 associate commissioner Bob Burda told Orangebloods.com Saturday, "That's patently untrue misinformation from an unnamed source."

14. Icehouse

^^^^^^^

Jumping the gun on the state's meeting does seem like a big "FU" to the lawmakers, but again, what can they do about it?

15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yes .. The legialature is out of session until 2013 and has no real power .. The real danger is the SEC caving to the pressure, changing their mind and not voting A&M in

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You realize that schools split that money equally with their conference mates, right?

17. Major

Major Member

I don't think the uncertainty of a 14th team will be a dealbreaker - the SEC knows they'll be able to get someone decent, even if they don't know who. And they know this is probably their last chance at A&M.

Lawsuit against the SEC is interesting, but I don't know that I see the merits. I could see the Big12 suing A&M, but not the SEC. They didn't sue the B10 or Pac10 during last year's fiasco.

That said, whether enough schools can be spooked, who really knows?

18. Major

Major Member

It's not a rash decision - they've been wanting this for a year now. UT has been thwarted twice from doing what they wanted by the Legislature. Looks like A&M has identified what they want and are going to try to force the issue. What A&M has on its side is Rick Perry, which is a huge plus for them in any sort of potential fight.

The only people that seem really upset/annoyed by any of this are people associated with other schools.

1 person likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I will be pissed off if the legislature brings pressure to stop this and actually succeeds.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It's only a rivalry when it's convenient for UT for it to be a rivalry. Surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.