1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I was definitely impressed by the Aggie D, Garrett is a man among men, but as others pointed gotta see more blocking from the O-Line. But ASU is also known for exotic looks on defense putting pressure on the QB. Kirk was a beast in his first college game, amazing how the A&M got Kyle Allen & Kirk from ASU's backyard. Great win & recruiting in AZ.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Any idea if he was a track star (as well) in high school? The dude is a faster Manziel.

As the speed and ability to scramble is already there: if he works on his pocket passing and "smarts," he could see RG3/Manziel levels of success at the collegiate level.

3. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Aggies,

Where is the best place to find reasonably price tickets to the Bama game?

Stubhub/seat geek/craigslist have absolutely ridiculous prices right now ($900 per lower level seat)

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's just how it is. It'll even be difficult to find a bar to watch the game at nearby without standing in line for hours. If you need a hotel within an hour drive... good luck with that.

Best bet is to wait and hope TAMU drops a game or two before the matchup and you might get a slight discount.

#4104 Ziggy, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

So we're ranked now? 16th, on top of it all. :)

I wonder if Sumlin is gonna switch out QBs again - being that the game is against Ball State, there's a lot more give, if one of our QBs has a subpar drive / game.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sumlin didn't pull Allen to pull him. It was known before the game that Murray would play. I'm thinking Murray plays plenty, puts up big numbers quick (easy for dual threat QB's vs bad teams) and creates a media/fan controversy.

7. TheresTheDagger

Well, the starters looked good on both sides of the ball.

2nd and 3rd team? Not so much.

There were also WAY too many penalties and sloppy ball carrying in the 2nd half.

Very happy with the overall performance vs. Ball State, but there are still lots of opportunity for improvement. On to Nevada!

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Slightly surprised there hasn't been more activity in this thread.

Meanwhile, the world is on fire, in the UT thread.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

For only being a 10-7 game, not much defense this game. Arkansas is hurting themselves with penalties.

Christian Kirk is :eek::eek:. Real deal.

Jake Spavital should still be fired. He's awful, terrible, all of the above. I don't know he's Mark Snyder bad but the feeling is the same: I knew, we knew, most knew Snyder was awful and should have been fired. Spavital should be fired. This is Kevin Sumlin & the air raid offense? No it's not. Give me the Art Briles/Kliff Kingsbury offense. Noil, Kirk, Seals-Jones, Reynolds, Pope, Tabuyo, so much WR talent and I'll be damned if it's not under-utilized.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I hear what you are saying. The talent the Aggies have at WR is crazy. I think they also have a couple of good talented young QB's too.

The defense is disappointing once again. How did the Hogs lose to Toledo?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For the 2nd year in a row, a complete choke job by Arkansas snatches defeat from the jaws of victory against A&M.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Arkansas is the best 1-3 team in the nation. ;)

But seriously...

They could be 0-12 and I'd never count those guys out.

PS: FIRE SPAVITAL! :mad::mad:

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I wonder how many yards Leonard Fournette will rack up vs. A&M

14. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Kevin Sumlin is awesome and a great coach

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This, but this year we covered the spread, lololololol. (My sports account was on life support for a little while)

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They did add Christensen as the Co-OC/run game coordinator.

Kyle Allen is making some of the NFL-iest throws I've ever seen out of a sophomore. He gets the ball out quick, he's mobile in the pocket, he can hit receivers in stride better than any Houston Texans QB ever could, he puts zip and touch on balls, he makes defenders pay for having their backs turned, he's not afraid to challenge tight coverage, he's not afraid to look deep, he's not afraid to dump it off quick, he's not afraid to run for yards.

If Tannehill was on this team he'd be playing WR right now.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Kyle Allen is very good, and shaping up to be another great QB the Texans will undoubtably pass up on.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

And. . .? :)

Utah sure misses him I bet!

19. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Check out TexAgs.com Ticket Exchange:

See two lower level tickets for $250 a piece right now:

http://texags.com/forums/11/topics/2665823

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

My take on this team so far (and I'm sure others have thought of this too, but what the hell):

We have the offensive talent to be scoring 50/game like the Baylor/TCU/Texas Techs out there, but Spavital/Sumlin are way too content with trying to establish the power run or methodically moving downfield. I have a philosophical problem with that. I understand that one way of protecting your defense is through ball control, but unless they have a monster run game (which they don't), I think there are better alternatives.

High octane offenses protect their defenses by putting the fear of God into opposing coaches. I watch a lot of college football (degen here), and whenever I see teams moving the ball in a game vs. a high octane opponent who has put the fear God into the underdog, they coach and play differently. The underdog passes more than they want to. The underdog goes for it more on 4th down. The underdog eschews field goals in favor of touchdowns. They play a high risk high reward type game that they usually don't. And sometimes, this works temporarily. (A great chance to spot bet live game or half time lines here). High octane offenses can be down 14-0 or 21-7 and will still win 60-28. A big reason is over a full game, elongated by both sides slinging it, the better team at that style will win. That's how high octane offenses with weak defenses protect their D. Instead of ball control, they put their foot on the opponents throat and make them one-dimensional. So what if you give up a TD in 1 minute by stacking the box and getting beat up top? We'll just come back down and score another TD in 30 seconds. Only teams with superior offensive talent can win doing this the entire game.

When it comes to A&M, I believe we can be that style of a team. But way too often, the coaches believe in a bend-don't-break defense that bends until they're exhausted and breaks in the end. Force both sides to play high-risk / high-reward, and they'll see how much easier it'll be on the defense.

This Arkansas game (just like last year) was damn lucky. We're just fortunate that Bielema sucks at close-game management. Arkansas wanted this game in the teens or 20's. The same thing will happen with Mississippi St. this weekend. A&M has the ability to win a 17-14 game or 24-21 game, but what's philosophically wrong imo, is that we should be trying to win games in the 40's even if that means giving up bigger plays. Because Mississippi doesn't want to play in the 40's because they know they can't keep up with A&M at that pace for a full game. And it's concerning to me that the only time we're gonna be high-octane is when the other team dictates it. We're way too comfortable in the 20-17 type game and that's riskier imo. That's allowing the other team to impose their preferred tempo.

1 person likes this.