1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ESPN is referencing their own prospect rankings. 5-stars. It's all just a pee-pee game.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Fire Jake Spavital
    5. Give John Chavis a raise. :) So that's what defense looks like, huh?
    6. Myles Garrett - future number one pick. ;)
    7. Christian Kirk :eek:
    8. Handling of the QB situation - cluster****?

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Defense looked good. Solid start to the season

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Arizona State was a dumpster fire and had no business being ranked 15th, but that was a very solid performance by A&M. Shaky start, but blew it open in the 4th. Y'all will be ranked well next week.

Oh and Myles Garrett's gonna be a problem for some teams.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the benching helped Allen. He was a different player afterwards.

If ASU wins the Pac 12 as many believed, the conference is garbage.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That ASU team has zero chance beating out Oregon or USC. They just didn't look that talented.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

You may be right but I didn't care for the handling of it.

You named Allen the starter, only to pull him late in the 2nd Q. Then you alternated them until Kyler got hurt and couldn't play.

Stick with one and go.

Allen wasn't great in the first half but his OL, WR, and OC didn't help him either.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't have a problem with a college coach playing more than one QB, especially when the QB's have such a different skill set. I would say it worked out in the end. I think both QB's are very talented, and should improve with more experience.

9. 713

713 Member

Saban just did the same thing with Coker/Bateman.

10. TheresTheDagger

For the love of god, find someone with some speed at RB so we can run wide occasionally.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Kyler Murray? LOL

No but seriously...

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Great start to the season! Time to work out some kinks on offense j the next couple games before the Piggies in Jerry World

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Carson is a north-to-south back, no? And his backup was injured - they mentioned he played every down but one, or something like that.

Dude was tired and the O-Line didn't look great, in creating lanes for Carson to run.

Not much you can do about that but hope the game is over soon, to move on to the next.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

But that's the thing - Allen wasn't great in the first half. I get that you want to remain loyal to one guy (not to mention, benching a really young guy might really suck for his psyche) but you also want to win the football game. There was nothing wrong with throwing Murray out there to see what he could bring to the table.

Also, it wasn't like the QBs were subbed out each drive. iirc, it was Allen, Murray until he got hurt, Allen to finish the game.

Side note: Damn, Murray is hella fast. If only we could combine Murray's legs and Allen's arm together. Conversation for Heisman, for sure.

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Yeah, I had no idea Murray had track speed. I think Murray's accuracy will get better as the season goes on. And the defense looks a lot better than last year. Y'all are in for a good season.

16. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I would love to see Speedy get some reps at RB. The dude is versitle and needs more touches. With White possibly missing time, our running attack is going to be hurting... why not Speedy?

17. TheresTheDagger

My comment wasn't a shot at Carson as much as at the coaching staff for not having options in how to run the ball. ASU just stacked the LOS and played tight man to man on our receivers. We struggled against it.

Agree with your comment on our O-line too. Their is work to be done there.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was at the game. It's really hard to tell what's going on when you're at the game. Is the o-line that bad or is the Sundevil defensive line good? O-line was what I was worried about most going into the season.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

His speed is the reason he toyed with H.S. football for 3 years. Going to need time to adjust to the college game but when he does it's going to hell keeping him off the field.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He looked tiny out there. Smallest college QB I've seen maybe. He may be 5'11" (I doubt it) but he looked like Sproles. I know he has arm strength but it's hard to believe he can even see downfield.