1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas’ Long-Awaited Bullet Train Plans to Start Construction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

You might be able to find $80-100 one-way airplane tickets, but I'm never able to plan that far in advance for these in-between Texas trips.

I've also come to the conclusion that by the time these bullet trains arrive (if ever), I will not be in need of the service as much as I do now. This has dramatically decreased my interest in the outcome of this project. Always jealous of how fast China and some countries in the Middle East are able to pull off infrastructure projects so quickly.

2. VanityHalfBlack

It's never going to happen.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If prices are similar to airfare, I would take a train 10/10 times. Convenience of a train is exponentially better than air travel.

Pringles likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll just get an EV and let it drive me while I sleep in the backseat

AXG and Pringles like this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

How about a high speed bus? The bullet bus.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Train routes: North America vs Europe.
    [​IMG]

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

I will say that in Korea, the buses between cities are efficient because the highways will have a designated lane for them which allows them to bypass any BS traffic that arises.

God knows how many times I've been stuck in gridlock traffic by either 71/I-10 back in college making the trip between Austin and Houston.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

LFG!!!!!

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you want to re-live pre 9/11 travel, this is by far the closest option available to regular passengers. And because they operate their own terminals, they have dedicated parking as well. I believe if you book a car rental through them, they'll just have the car waiting for you at your arrival so you can just grab your bag and jump into a car.

It all comes at a cost but for business travelers, its a no brainer if you ask me.

11. adoo

adoo Member

Bidennomics is the best chance. perhaps the last chance, for a bullet train in the US.

based on my readings, a bullet train connecting NYC to DC, makes the most sense. w apologies to CA. Fla. LV and Tx.
    the eastern corridor---connecting NYC to DC---is much more densely populated.
    Bullet trains run commonplace around the world—just not in the U.S which is not as densely populated as those countries (Japan, Europe and China) w bullet trains

12. adoo

adoo Member

Bidenomics to the rescue !

The Biden Admin has pledged $2 billion to help start laying track for this hi speed rail system from Calif's Apple Valley to Las Vegas.

[​IMG]

The $12 billion project led by Brightline West has been talked about for decades, and U.S. Sen. Jacky Rosen from Nevada told reporters that it now has all required right-of-way and environmental approvals, along with labor agreements, for work to start on some 218 miles along the 15 Freeway corridor.

No date was announced for work to start. But Rosen said electric-powered trains could be carrying passengers by the time Los Angeles hosts the Summer Olympics in 2028.​

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

12b is doubtful. Maybe 2.5 that amount given that it's California and CoL/materials/regulation/labor won't be going down anytime soon...

I guess it would be worth it if round trip tickets are below 250 bucks in today's dollars, but Californians love their cars.

14. Buck Turgidson

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Brightline is a private company (unlike the California HSR which is funded and managed directly by California). Also, this would be Brightline's second HSR as they have already built a Miami-Orlando HSR.

Doesn't mean they won't go over on cost but they have a much better track record than California does.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew