1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs. Jets

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man. That really sucked. They did not play at all like they did in the first. I am not saying that they sucked in their game, but it was their scheme that changed. They weren't doing anymore of those quick passes to the outside like they were in the first half.

And they over used the quick pass up the middle. Though we nearly had another first down to go for the TD but Carr threw that pass way too hard. It hit Johnson right on the zero on his jersey but was thrown way too hard.

We should never had to have the comeback. 19 unanswered points, well, that just flat out sucks.

Also, how come Mosses can't run the whole field before running out of gas?

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man this one really hurt. We could have been 3-3 heading into Indy but now it looks like we will come home 2-5 to play Carolina. J.J. is a good return man but you can't let a 260lb linebacker run you down in that situation. D.D. will be the biggest steal in the 2003 draft. I think the Texans will pass up a guy like Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson since they already have an every down back.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Matt Stevens should have started.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am I reading that right? Eddie George had NO TDs in his Oilers career?! I hope DD gets more than that! (GREAT GAME FOR HIM, BTW!) 5.something ypc is just gross!

Anyways, it was a good game, but when we lost a 14-0 lead, I knew that it wasn't going to be a good ending to the game. Even if we had managed to win it, we didn't deserve it. It was a good comeback rally by the Jets, even though it was ours to lose. Yes, the playcalling was too conservative in the second half (taking off only 1:30 on that one drive before their TD drive was HORRIBLE!). And yes AJ dropped a BULLET by Carr (my dad was arguing before this game that Carr might have all the tools necessary to become a great QB, but maybe not smart enough to use them all at the right times (sort of like Stevie)...this game sort of proved him right for now...).Still, you have to hand it to the Jets. They played a decent game.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly.

I've been defending Capers for a year and a half now, but not today. Establishing the run if fine, but you're supposed to do it to set up the pass. It's a cliche, but get the ball to your playmakers!! AJ only had 3 catches. :mad:

Oh well, at least we found our running back.

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Davis was getting 5yards everytime he touched the ball and on 3rd and 1 they put in Mack? Only thing Mack did was run right into 3 defenders instead of cutting back where there was a huge hole. And why didn't Palmer call some of those slip screens for Johnson like he was doing earlier in the season. He is almost impossible to bring down one on one.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I sometimes hate being right. I shoulda shut up.:mad:

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a) i seem to remember pom-poms, playoffs and MVPs when the oilers gave it to earl, gave it to earl, gave it to earl... have we now determined that to have been a bad thing?

b) the jets entered the game 3rd in the AFC against the pass; 13th against the run. and they have a terrific pass rush. the texans took full advantage of new york's weakness and protected carr, who's thrown 8 picks in five games. further, why do you assume passing the ball would have worked? considering davis had 9 catches, all underneath as the 2nd and 3rd option, doesn't that kind of indicate the WRs weren't getting open down field?

c) why has no one in this thread bothered to mention the real culprits: our non-existent pass rush and unbelievably costly penalties? specifically, brown's unforgiveable offsides that negated a third down stop that would have left NY with a much more difficult 47-yard field goal when trying to make it 14-13. pitts also had a crucial offsides in jet territory and a holding call near the end of the half backed us up and forced capers to play conservatively.

offensively, the texans played well enough to win. the playcalling was fine; in fact, quite good. penalties hurt drives - not the playcalling.

and testaverde was given much too much time to throw. he also side-stepped pressure with far too much ease. the team misses payne and they miss glenn - their pass defense is abysmal.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The ineffective pass rush is bothering me as well. I thought the main advantage of using the 4-3 defense was to get good pressure on the QB with the extra man? If we aren't getting much pressure, would it be in this team's best interest to switch to 3-4? Or perhaps just stick with it and draft a highly skilled defenseman who will excel in the 4-3? I don't really know that much about football, so anyone with real knowledge about this stuff, feel free to fill me in.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

there was one play on the Jet's last drive where vinny stood back in the pocket...and literally stood still...no movement at all for about 3 seconds...just waiting for someone to get open. just awful.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Don't you remember the results of the playoffs?

Don't you remember why the run-only offense failed?

Or, was the only thing you liked was just watching Campbell run, for the sake of running?

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That totally sucked...Carr threw too hard as Andre was free...

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, that was a laser he through at Andre...

Why did he do that? :confused:

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

He said he was throwing it to Billy Miller but Miller had 2 Jets standing infront of him.