1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs. Colts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Great clock management guys! On our way to a top draft pick again!

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My guess is we're taking what the defense gives us.

We're not forcing the issue... but remember, Carr is STILL not used to being comfortable in the pocket (which is what gives someone the ability to go downfield).

In fact, I think the low sack stat this year can be more attributed to the improvement in the dump-off passes, and not due to an improvement in the offensive line.

The O-line is still not a great pass-blocking bunch. (improving on the run, though).

3. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Haha... at least we covered the 13 point spread.

BIG MONEY!

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I do not understand the playcalling nor do I understand why they wouldnt go for it on 4th and 4. You need two scores. If you need two scores, you need to be agressive. If its picked off so be it, it beats getting the ball back with little time to do anything with it.

I really question Capers playcalling, I did it last season and I got blasted now it seems like some guys are starting to see the light.

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Well, at least T. Banks got some time on the field.

Let Carr heal up for next game.

7. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Marcus Coleman < Matt Stevens

8. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I totally agree. The decision to not go for it on 4th and four is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen from a coach.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

why does the offensive cordinator wait till the came is nearly over before he pulls out his cajones and has the QB throw a perfect pass for 20-30yd gain instead of a 2yd toss?!

Enough of the danm 3yd shot passes. We need to open up our passing game.

Hell, our opening play of the game was a PA pass for over 20yds. Everytime we went for the deep pass we were succeful, so why play to not lose, and go for the win already?!

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree that we should have gone for it, but that decision could not possibly be in the top 1000 stupidest things seen from a coach. Coaches do stupid things all the time.

I mean come on, do you remember Woody Hays. How about coaches getting drunk in public and throwing away million dollar jobs. And if you are talking about bad play calling, how about an Oiler team throwing a backward pass from their own two yard line during a playoff game. Oh yes, there have been many stupid things come from football coaches, don't forget John Jenkins.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Well... these guys played hard today, but it does look as if the coaching staff is still playing not to lose rather than getting the guts to win.

Capers said last week they need to leard how to put teams away... well, Dom, that gets taught from the top down... in the play calling department. Otherwise good game for a...

2ND YEAR EXPANSION TEAM.

Rant over... reality realized. Give 'em a break. ;)

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

BTW - I had him in my fantasy league as my RB today (Williams tomorrow night in Tempe on MNF as other RB)...

Sweet.:D

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

a great effort yesterday by the Texans. i think many of you expect way too much from a second year team...they put a scare in a legit super bowl contender on their home turf. that's more than I ever expected from this team in their first couple of seasons. they've already way surpassed my expectations for them.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

MadMax, I don't think anyone is upset with the outcome of the game itself or the season so far. It's more the gameplan.

[rant]
    Why do we run on 3rd and 20 instead of a 10 yard out to get us a shot at a field goal? Why don't we take a shot or two before the end of the half? (IIRC, we had 2 timeouts and the 2 minute warning) Why do we punt in the 4th quarter when we need 2 scores? Why don't we run the 2 minute offense late in the 4th quarter when we need two scores? Why is the longest pass play of the day a 22 yarder to Billy Miller on the first play of the game?

I know we're an expansion team and I think in the big picture, we're ahead of schedule, but we've got 3 speedy recievers and we finally have a running game. Why don't we throw it downfield every once in a while? Too often, we let the opposing defense off the hook. We take the pressure off of them because we don't want to make a mistake. MAKE THE MISTAKES!! What have we got to lose? A playoff spot?

[/rant]

15. MadMax

ima -- great points....

i will note that the questions about throwing it downfield presuppose that guys were open downfield...you ultimately take what the defense gives you...and if they're giving you Davis on consistent 6 yard dump passes, you take those all day.

i agree entirely on the punting, down by 2 scores thing..i was saying the same thing at the time.

but for all their criticism, this is the team that's gone for 6 twice on 4th down situations this year. and it is the team that called a great freaking fake FG yesterday...which was executed about as well as i've ever seen that little option fake ever run.

16. ima_drummer2k

That's why I can't figure Dom out. He goes for it on 4th and goal, he tries a superb fake field goal yesterday. Don't forget about the special teams trickery against the Steelers last year that won the game for us.

So if he's willing to take a chance in those situations, why not pass on 3rd and 20 etc. I just can't figure the guy out. Is he too conservative or not?

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

any news on Carr...I know he's doing an MRI today...

Tony Banks is not the answer...The D is starting to be like the Steelers...always giving up the big play...

18. ima_drummer2k

I heard on the radio it could be 2 to 3 weeks. But that was only speculation. IIRC, a high ankle sprain is much worse than a low one.

BTW, all you Matt Stevens haters need to redirect your ire to Marcus Coleman. He's been getting pimp-slapped for most of the season since the Miami game. Yesterday may have been his worst game as a Texan...except for the titan game.

PIMP-SLAPPED

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The reason the secondary looks so terrible is because we have no type of pass rush. If you give a QB like Manning that much time he will always have someone open because its very hard to cover a guy like Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison that long.

20. MadMax

i think that's exactly right...there is absolutely no pressure on the QB at all from week to week.