1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

texans top pick next year...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfan83, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Elvis Costello

The Texans should build up the offensive and defensive lines and stockpile in the secondary. It has been proven that you can find solid running backs in the later rounds (Anthony Thomas, the Denver running backs, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, etc.). They obviously need a few more receivers, but Randy Moss wouldn't make much of a difference to the team right now. I am still really excited about David Carr. He is going to take his lumps this year, but I really think he will be the real thing.

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Jonathon Wells- Is built like a stereo-typical NFL RB but morwe often than not he runs like a 175 pound punt returner. He was one of my favorites at OSU. I love the big bruising RB but Wells will break your heart more often than he will run someone over. He does have his moments (late last year he ran the ball hard but it took him too long to get tothat point)

Eddie- Hard working stud. He went from fumbling 3 times asa Freshamn vs Illinois to the Heisman. This guy has an amazing work ethci and was a good kid!

As for Clarett you can't have him!!! He is the best player we have had since Archie (appolgies to Eddie, Robert Smith, Katzenmoyer, Spielman, Galloway, Boston, Orlando Pace, etc) but this kid is a freaking stud as a Freshman!!! He's all ours for 2 more full years plus the remainder of this season as well!

War Buckeyes!!!
    The Fiesata Bowl is which way? Here we come!!!

3. drapg

drapg Member

good point my man. that rule totally slipped my mind, seeing as how we're on a basketball bbs!! :D

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

What nagging injuries?

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd like to get a WR like boston. That guy was clocking people as an offensive player. But if a good RB is available then I want that to be the first pick. We need some more offensive weapons.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Andre Johnson from Miami is just as good or better than Kelley Washington. As for the other two, it is close, but I would rank Andre #3.

He has been regarded as the best Miami WR prospect since Michael Irvin.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Ankle and bone spurs. He had surgery in the offseason, so he could be a bit more explosive.

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thanks for the info.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think you take the best availalble. I'll b ehonest I haven't paid much attention to the prospects (except for all the QBs getting all the hype). Outside of another QB I think you take whoever is there (D-line, receiver, O-line, RB, CB, LB). Teh Texans need help everywhere (except QB and OT if both of them can get healthy).

You can pick up some serviceable players via FA but the backbone of your team will come via your first round picks your first few years. Houston is different than Cleveland in that you do have some nice vets (Boselli, Sharper, etc) but the first round picks are crucial. I would pigeon hole yourself into one position, just take the best availalbel and give them time!

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The Texans are in desperate need of skill position players. They have done a nice job of acquring good defense players and an OL so that is not where I would focus on unless a guy like Peppers was just too good to pass up. Thank god they didn't draft McKinnie, he wasn't even the first tackle picked and whose agent is trying to screw the Vikings. I think Carr was the right pick, though if they could have traded down and gotten Peppers and an extra #1 or #2 I would not have been upset about it.

Reggie Williams (Washington) and ther MSU WR are very highly reknowned also. I still think the Texans should have picked Josh Reed over Gaffney. The fact Reed is getting PT and balls thrown to him on a team already with 2 stub WRs is impressive. Oh well on that one.

I do not think Wells or Allen are answers at the TB. The Texans have a good start (D, OL & excellent QB prospect), they just need to address skill players. You can do this through the draft or FA.

11. mduke

mduke Member

take Andre Woolfolk!:D

12. ESource

ESource Member

Good point! I forgot about him. Aw heck, just draft as many Miami players next year and you guys will be fine! Damn, there are so many NFL prospects on that Hurricane team, it is scary!!!:eek:

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Top 3 players the Texans should be looking at are:

Roy Williams
    Charles Rogers
    Andre Johnson

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What is the fascination with Andre Johnson? He seems like a Rocket Ismail clone.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thats not a bad thing if he's healthy.

16. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Look back over the last 10 years or so, and you'll see that high 1st round RBs and WRs are very risky. Remember how our last team (Oilers) built their team in the draft: with Pro-Bowlers Mike Munchak and Bruce Mathews. I know O-line picks are not sexy, but that's the best way to build a team once you have your franchise QB. The kicker is that Boselli and Young (if healthy) are expected to anchor the 2 tackle spots, so I would go D-line or playmaking LB next.

17. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

If the Texans have a chance to draft Roy Williams, I don't see them passing. The man has Hall of Fame potential. He's better than Charlie Rogers but he has 2 NFL WR's(BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas) playing next to him as well as potentially a future #1 pick RB(Cedric Benson) so his stats are hindered. If he was showcased in an offense like Rogers, Williams could put up 100 catches and 20 TD's.

18. Truth

Truth Member

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Also remember how the Oilers picked Earl Campbell #1 overall.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No doubt they should go for a receiver. We have at best, two #2 calibur wide outs. We need a #1 player to go to.