1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

texans top pick next year...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfan83, Sep 15, 2002.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Watching todays game, im already thinking ahead to apirl and the draft. Im assuming they get a top 3 pick or so. They will probay go defense maybe Joesphn from Miami he looks like a hell of a player. Maybe EJ Henderson from maryland that guy would be my choice if we went defense. theres also Doss from ohio state. Lee Suggs is probaly the top RB in the draft assuming hes healthy but hes no where near a top 3 pick. my choice would be charlie rogers from MSU hes going to be a pro bowler through out his career. but i doubt capers will go that way. what do yall think?

2. Truth

Truth Member

I say we go for the real #1 pick. Jesus. He can do it all. 2nd pick. Moses - OL he can part anyone's Defensive Line.

3. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

texans don't have a first rounder next year

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Huh? I don't recall them trading this pick, and I don't know why they would knowing it will be a good pick. Please explain...

5. Truth

Truth Member

You believed him?:rolleyes:

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Texans have their pick... don't worry about it.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

top 3? I dunno. I wouldn't like to think of the Texans as being 3rd worst, but that may be just about right.

Detroit, Bungles, Carolina, and Baltimore are the only teams I can see ending up with worse records at this point.

So most likely top 5, give or take a couple of spots.

imo they should just go for best available. I would like to see the skill positions filled but will there really a rb or wr worth a top 5 pick?

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The areas of the team which need the most improvement:

1) O line
    2) FB
    3) TE

If we could shore up these holes then we'd be a much improved team.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, the O-line really isn't that bad when healthy... it's just a matter of everyone recovering. I don't think it's one of the top need areas going into the next draft.

10. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Lets be true here. They need another good WR. They need a (singular) good RB.

Those holes you listed are routinely filled with 2-4 round picks, and even if they did....they'd still lose without another starting worthy WR and a single RB that can actually run.

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

I'd want to nab a running back or receiver.

Although If I had my way from the beginning we would have taken McKinnie last year, and we could take Leftwich this year.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Then, we trade down to the appropriate slot, pick up a WR that can catch the ball, & an extra pick/picks or player. As each game goes by, Jermaine Lewis is showing why he's not a starting WR, even with his break away speed.

13. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"I would like to see the skill positions filled but will there really a rb or wr worth a top 5 pick? "

Roy Williams?

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That's the only guy I can think of off-hand, but admittedly my college football knowledge is limited.

I like your thinking Hottodie. Perhaps a team with a hardon for a qb would give up quite a bit to move up to the Texan's pick.

15. drapg

drapg Member

I can see Roy Williams, William Joseph, Charles Rogers, E.J. Henderson, or Kelley Washington

it would be nice if Cedric Benson or Maurice Clarett declared early (of course, the Clarett nod is only based on 2 GAMES!!! but he looks godly up at OSU!)

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

We need a #1 go-to reciever. I like Roy Williams but I hope he returns for his senior year at UT. I wanna see him and Vincent Young on the field at the same time.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Best RB/WR is who we need to draft. I love Roy Williams, but his nagging injuries don't bode well investing a very high pick on him. Moreover, there are plenty of WRs who are as good if not better NFL prospects in Kelly Washington and Charles Rogers.

If Jonathan Wells (I think he's a poor man's Eddie George) is capable of being a starting RB, then RB can wait... I also wouldn't mind getting a TE who could help ease pressure from Carr. Though, a TE is rarely picked in the Top 5, much less Top 10.

Getting a bad ass NT would help also.

18. ESource

ESource Member

You guys have to get a #1 WR for Carr. Gaffney would make an outstanding #2 eventually, but Carr needs more weapons. Any of these three WRs would be a great choice: 1) Charles Rodgers(Michigan St.), 2) Kelley Washington(Tennessee), or 3)Roy Williams(Texas)

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Any player who leaves school early for the NFL, must have graduated from HS 3 years before. In this case, Benson will have only been in his 2nd year out of HS, and Clarett, 1 year.

I agree about Clarett, that guy is a beast. Jerome Bettis, with a fast as hell burst through the OL.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I'd eventually like to see the primary receivers be somebody from the draft, Gaffney and Bradford. Every so often you can run a play with Dawson or Black in the slot. Jermaine Lewis should never have a ball thrown his way again. He is only useful when the ball is kicked to him.