1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans' Running Game is Awful

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jeff, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So, let's see...

Poor running game +
    Inexperienced O-line +
    Conservative offensive =

Bad offense.

Given that Carr is a rookie, I get the conservative play calling, but, man, if you can't run the freakin' ball, give them a chance and put it up a few times. Don't run it on 2nd and 16!!!

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Agreed.

The reason Carr threw the interception, and the reason we are down 14-3 instead of 7-3, is that our offense is too predictable. 1st and 10 is the perfect opportunity to throw, since the defense can't lean to the run or the pass. However, we run every time, and then we pass on 2nd and 10 and 3rd and 10, when the whole freaking world knows we're going to pass. Carr might could find some receivers downfield if he weren't facing five and six defensive backs every time.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

No surprise.

They didn't have a running game in preseason, didn't have a running game last week, and weren't going to get one against one of the best defensive teams in the league this week.

The play-calling is for the type of team they want to have offensively. Somebody needs to tell them they need a rb first.

Allen sucks.

4. Truth

Truth Member

Yeah, they need to 1. Give Carr some time in thr pocket. 2. Let Carr throw the ball . 3. If you run it, run east and west it's like they know our plays better than we do.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is what I think also and I agree with your assessment. The problem is that Carr is going to waste if you don't bother to use him, particularly on first down or give him a chance to stretch the field. Running long plays like they did against the Cowboys gives them opportunities they wouldn't have without them.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Expansion teams lose for this reason. They need to pick up the best RB available in the next draft...

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Need some play action. Even Dallas proved it can work for an offense that has been predictable.

8. Timing

Timing Member

It's the offensive line. They're giving defenders the OLE as they're running by. Carr hasn't been able to stand in the pocket without being heavily pressured just about every time. He's been sacked 8 times now. Ouuuuch... keep ya head up DC it'll get better. We ain't mad atcha, do ya thing boy. :D

Bradford CATCH A @!#($*&#$ BALL SOMETIME!!!! CHRIST!!!

9. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think Capers is a little too conservative sometimes. It also drove me crazy when they kept trying to run the ball when it clearly wasnt working, but the passing game wasnt working either.:(
    Bottom line: the Texans have got a LONG WAY TO GO.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Tough to see the O-line, where we had thought we'd have a positive, cause so many negatives right now.

What Carr, Allen and Wells wouldn't give for a healthy Tony Boselli and Ryan Young.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to pick up a top flight RB, but I'm not convinced that Wells won't end up being a really good one. The problem is that Wells can't run through holes that aren't there. He fights his way past the D line, looks up and WHAM...linebacker. Once we have an O line that can open up some holes, then the running game will improve and we'll see just how good Wells really is. He looks good being able to do what he has done given a no hole opening O line.

The biggest problem is that Capers is WAY too conservative in his playcalling. For a while there I thought that somebody had kidnapped Capers and had RC Slocum calling plays. Up the middle, up the middle, chuck it, and...PUNT!!!!

Not catching the ball was not the receivers fault today...Carr's throws were very inaccurate.

The defense sure did come out flat today. They found themselves eventually, but by then we were down by 14.

In time all of this will work itself out...GO TEXANS!!!!

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

They really need to bring Ryan Young and Tony Boselli back. That line just deteriorated on every snap! When Carr took the ball, and just took a glance out to the receivers, he was already eating dirt...

Check out what Junior Seau said:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=220915024

"We wanted to put pressure on him and we wanted him to be uncomfortable,'' Seau said. "And for the most part, we did that. We're happy about that. It was fun.''

That line needs help badly!! The running game was terrible. It looked like it was setup for them to just run into a pile and sit at a standstill. It also seemed the way they played, UH could of beat their A$$!!

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*sniff*sniff*
    Monday morning quarterbacking..b... . thank goodness Football is back

Rocket River

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i used to blame it on Allen...no longer

he showed me in the first series that he can do just fine when they block for him....

no one can run when he gets NO blocking help!

15. Stevie Francis

it is pretty sad. I wonder if we will have a 100yard rush this season. you know 100 yard game by a HB,RB

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

IMHO...not until Boselli comes back.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It didn't seem to Dom Capers during the press conference:

"On offense, I thought we ran the ball better, especially early in the game. The very first run of the game would have been 19 yards but we got a holding penalty. But when you look at the statistics, really, James Allen's yard per rush were better than (Chargers running back) LaDainian Tomlinson's average. That's something we need to take and build on.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index.cfm?page_type=sub&cont_id=129676

18. haven

haven Member

Allen's not utterly terrible... but when you combine a mediocre back with a bad line your running game will suck.

To be completely honest, all the Texans have is speed on the wings. I bet Houston scores more via long pass plays than anything else this year. Bradford might not have the best hands in the world, but can certainly run.

So, if I were Capers, I'd let Carr and his receivers play catch a little more and throw his mediocre backs to the wolves a little less often.

19. NUMBER1HR

NUMBER1HR Member

Lets blame it on the whole offensive line. No holes for Allen to run through. In the preseason Jonathan Wells looked good. Now he is awful. What is he negative 2 yards per run cuz thats what I see. James Allen actually played pretty good concidering the defense he was running against in San Diego. No one was blocking for David. I think this offensive line can't be judged until we get Boselli and Young back. I think once those guys are back you are going to see more wholes for Allen and more time for David to throw. However I do agree they should not be running on 2nd and 16. Lets run a reverse at least once and see what happens.

Im out!

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

I say we draft that Rogers guy in the first round. He looks like a keeper.