1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Picked Up Will Fuller's Fifth Year Option In April

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Dec 23, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No one invests that much cap space receivers. Yes it would be worth it if he didn't have injury issues

Hopkins can still be deep guy. Just get a reliable hands guy. Demaryius Thomas was old

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But it's not a lot. It's one year $10 million. That's a bargain.

When it comes time to extend him then it becomes a much more difficult decision.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Total with Hopkins

4. Mr. Clutch

It will depend on what moves they will want to make and the overall picture. The costs of tunsil and Watson will factor in, but they might not kick in next year.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's about a million a game, considering he misses around 6 games a season.

Red.Glare and pgabriel like this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, its hard to defend a game changer, when he cant even change his clothes for a game.

7. Fantasma Negro

OBJ would cost a draft pick, A.B can be signed outright but either would solve a lot of the offense's problems

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Why?!?!? Why?!?! You can't be serious. Our offense is ass without him if you haven't noticed. You can't assume anything when drafting and signing talent, you just have find it, get it, and live with it! Do that and at least you give yourself a chance.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He doesn't play. They lean on im too much. They just need a hands guy. Hopkins can play deep

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Our offense is noticeably worse without him....for now he has us by the balls even with all his injuries...we gotta keep him.
    I always wondered this too, if we're in such desperate need for another great receiver (and obviously much better when we have one) to go with Hopkins, why don't we just go out and pay for a good one? Someone reliable so we can let fuller walk? It'll cost, but shouldn't we spend money when we KNOW something is going to greatly improve us like another great WR would?

Gray_Jay and deb4rockets like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That makes sense, so it isn't Texans' style.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m thinking he may be the key to a championship formula

NotInMyHouse, eliefor3 and pgabriel like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would change my mind if he plays in the playoffs and they make a run

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

So be it then

15. Mr. Clutch

The main point is that 1 year $10m is nothing for an NFL franchise.

You gonna find someone better for that investment? Even the mediocre stills cost more, a second round pick.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Picking up fuller’s option is/was an easy decision, there’s no good reason not to. He needs to stay healthy, that point is obvious, but you pick that option up every day of the week.

I also see the Texans at minimum kicking the tires on OBJ cause him and Nuk would be unstoppable and his value is at an all time low(thank you Cleveland for being a dumpster fire).

And there’s a less than 1% chance AB plays a down again in the NFL so that ship has sailed(for the record I wouldn’t touch with a 84ft pole).

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Melo reference?

Roc Paint likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

The title makes it sound like they did pick it up?
    Haven't seen anything on it.
    I do know that when he's not in there they don't even try to motion receivers as much. Easy stand still for the set defense.

If they don't want to pick up his option they should work on a screen game. A screen game will open up this offense just as much as having a healthy fuller. Some of the best offenses run 10 screens and wheel routes a game. We know Deshaun loves the big play but has gotten better with his willingness to check it down but the screens are non existent. It took wonder boy Brock to arrive to even start using the Tight Ends.

That said this team is fourth in scoring in the AFC. It doesn't require a complete overhaul just ease up on the stubbornness.
    No excuse for losing one player in fuller and having to go into shell mode.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They exercised it in April but they don't have to keep him. If they keep him he goes from $1.4MM to $10MM.

I guess that's part of the set contract for rookies

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. body slam

body slam Member

I assumed Stills would really step up if Fuller went down. He was good but not as good as I had hoped. 2020 free agents WR are kind of slim picking. If they are not out of our price range, they are coming off a injury or have off the field problems. Randall Cobb might be the best free agent option that would not break the bank.