1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans offense needs to change

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bottlerocket, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Possum

Possum Member

So how did St Louis win a superbowl? West coast teams use the pass to set up the run and with the right personel do just fine. I know people will think I'm crazy but if we have the chance to draft Roy Willliams next year we should. We have the QB, Hollings and Davis seem to fit the bill as West coast type RB's. Line up Roy Williams, Johnson and Bradford or Gaffney and you would create alot of matchup problems for opposing defenses. I don't think to many teams would put 8 in the box with that lineup on the field.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How many sacks does the Texans defense have?

As for the offense, I see no reason why, with Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford (not to mention Billy Miller), the Texans don't pass more. Johnson is a stud. Then again, as the article points out, you cut down on the penalties, you keep drives alive.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

That article took something and really slanted it. I don't Think Carr said anything remotely close to changing the style and yet I believe him to have said it by the end.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

are you kidding?? they had the best running back in the league!!! and though you remember their high-flying offense because they were able to convert the big play...you forget that they were able to establish the run like crazy because they had a good offensive line and marshall faulk ran all over people.

i've seen the run and shoot. the run and shoot didn't win superbowls. the run and shoot didn't even win playoff games.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

when, if ever, did the run and shoot fail? All it did was fail to win the superbowl. But it has always been one of the more effective offenses in the history of the league. Maybe even the most effective.

Time line of Statistical Accomplishments of the Run and Shoot Offense

-Mouse Davis becomes Head Coach at Portland State University
    -June Jones throws for a NCAA Division II record 3,518 yards after transferring from Hawaii

-Neil Lomax walks on at Portland State. In the next four years he throws for 13,220 yards, 106
    touchdowns, and a 68.4 percent completion rate, setting 8 NCAA records

-Portland State University Averages 49.2 points a game (NCAA record)

-The Toronto Argonauts. led by Mouse Davis, win the Grey Cup (Canada's Super Bowl)

-Mouse Davis becomes Offensive Coordinator of the Houston Gamblers under Jack Pardee
    -Jim Kelly throws for 5,311 yards-Houston scores 79 touchdowns, 618 points, and amasses 7,684
    yards-all professional records
    -Ricky Sanders and Richard Johnson become the first teammates in professional football history to have
    1,000 yard seasons

-June Jones is hired as quarterbacks coach for the Houston Oilers (under Jerry Glandville), Run and
    Shoot first appears in N.F.L.
    -Jack Pardee is hired as Head Coach at the University of Houston

1988-Jason Phillips and James Dixon,
    of the University of Houston, become first duo in collegiate history to catch one hundred passes apiece

-Mouse Davis is hired as Offensive Coordinator of the Detroit Lions-Jack Pardee is hired as Head Coach
    of the Houston Oilers
    -Kevin Gilbride is hired as Offensive Coordinator of Houston Oilers
    -Andre Ware wins the Heisman Trophy (University of Houston)
    -Chuck Weatherspoon averages 9.6 years per carry (NCAA record)(Univ. of Houston)
    -Barry Sanders rushes for 1,470 years, wins NFL rookie of the year (Detroit Lions)
    -The Detroit Lions lead the NFL with an average of 4.6 yards a rush
    -Manny Hazard catches 142 passes (NCAA record) for 22 touchdowns (NCAA record)(Univ. of Houston)

-Jerry Glandville becomes Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons
    -Houston Oiler Warren Moon throws for 527 yards in one game (second most in N.F.L. history)
    -University of Houston quarterback David Klingler throws six touchdown passes in one quarter versus
    Louisiana Tech
    -David Klingler breaks or ties 33 season NCAA records including:
    Single season record for Total Offense (5221 yards)
    Most touchdown passes in a season (54)
    -David Klingler throws for 716 yards passing versus Arizona State (NCAA record)
    -Barry Sanders leads N.F.L. with 1,304 yards rushing
    -The Houston Oilers productive quartet of wide receivers:
    Haywood Jeffries 74 catches for 1048 yards
    Drew Hill 74 catches for 1019 yards
    Ernest Givins 72 catches for 979 yards
    Curtis Duncan 66 catches for 785 yards
    -Warren Moon becomes N.F.L's Most Valuable Player
    -David Klingler throws 11 touchdown passes vs. Eastern Washington (NCAA record)
    -The Houston Oilers qualify for the playoffs

-Three N.F.L. (Detroit, Atlanta, Houston) teams make the playoffs with the Run and Shoot as their
    offense
    -The Detroit Lions reach the NFC Championship Game-Barry Sanders 1,000+ yard rusher
    -The Houston Oilers have three receivers over 70 catches and nearly three with 1,000+ yards (1,181-
    1,109-996)
    -Warren Moon breaks N.F.L. record with 404 completions

-Houston Oiler Lorenzo White, 1,000+ yard rusher
    -Barry Sanders 1,000+ yard rusher
    -The Houston Oilers qualify for the playoffs

-Houston Oiler Gary Brown rushes for 1,000+ yards in only 9 games
    -Atlanta Falcon Eric Pegram 1,000+ yard rusher
    -The Houston Oilers advance to AFC divisional round

-June Jones becomes Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons

1995-The Atlanta Falcons become the first team to have a 4,000+ yard passer (Jeff George), a 1,000+
    yard rusher (Craig Heyward), and three 1,000+ yard receivers (Eric Metcalf, Terrance Mathis, and Bert
    Emanuel)
    -The Atlanta Falcons qualify for the playoffs.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Probably the most intriguing stat is that no matter where the run and shoot was installed and no matter who was the rb, college or pro, they ended up having 1,000 yd seasons and the highest per yard average of their careers.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well there was this little game in Buffalo...

Seriously, I'm not against throwing the ball more. I just think we have to be patient with this franchise. Our O-line, although improved, still isn't ready to protect our franchise QB if he were to throw the ball 40 times a game. Shotgun or no shotgun.

Dom's conservative offense won 4 games last year and we were never really out of any game except San Diego and Philidephia. Run the ball, keep it close until the 4th quarter, then anything can happen. Just ask the Dolphins.

In a year or two, when our O-line is more established, then lets take the ranes off Carr and the recievers. I'd just like to see Carr make it to that point without getting hammered every game until then.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

your timeline lists stats as accomplishments. the only concern i have is wins and losses. when you can't ground out a lead by running the ball, your lead is worthless...particularly so in the playoffs.

again...a run and shoot team has yet to win the big one. and it ain't for a lack of personnel (see the Oilers). i loved the run and shoot when it was here...when Pardee was hired, I thought we were destined for a Super Bowl. I was proven wrong.

you have to establish the run. you just do. i can't believe we're even arguing that.