1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans may trade first pick to Atlanta

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Apr 25, 2014.

1. pocketrocket81

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not saying it won't happen, but this is one of the easiest connect-the-dots exercises out there. Atlanta did the Julio Jones deal, Dmitrioff is still GM, etc. People were speculating about this as soon as draft order was announced.

My experience is that that things this glaringly obvious seldom happen, but who knows?

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I hope this deal goes down. We need so much help multiple picks is the way to go regardless how good Jadaveon Clowney is.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO trading down would be accepting mediocrity, but maybe that's where the team is at these days.

6. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Nothing is guaranteed, besides trading down seems to have worked for the Patriots the last decade or so.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Trading down from 25 to 30 or 33 isn't the same as trading out of the #1 overall pick, especially not when there is an obvious top pick who would help the team.

1 person likes this.
  8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

What if the player the front office sees as the best in the draft can be picked at 6? Then we get the guy we want, plus most likely a ransom of additional picks.

Picking a player too early, or settling for someone we don't want, seems more mediocre to me.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I tried for five minutes to post this exact picture, but couldn't figure it out on my phone and gave up. Good to see someone did.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As evidenced by the way the Redskins are trending so upwardly.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

This would help the Texans if they have a top 50 list and instead of getting 2 of their top 50, they get 3 or 4. Plus an extra pick next year. I wouldn't be overly upset if they picked one of Clowney, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews. Pure math says one of those will be there at #6.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree, the Texans have a lot of holes to fill. More picks please.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd be very happy if they were able to pull it off. Take someone like Matthews at 6 to get the O-Line back into working order, then go into the second with (hopefully) 2 high picks to roll the dice on a QB and still grab an instant impact starter at one of the front 7 defense need positions (almost everywhere).

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then we probably need a new front office.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

And the Hawks and the Cowboys whose recent significant trades up in the first round have yielded such unflinching success!

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a fallacious line of logic, just because there are teams that have traded up and not had great success doesn't mean that trading down will lead to success. Are the Rams taking the league by storm? How about the Colts who chose NOT to trade down and just use the pick? It seems like it worked out for them.

17. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

For this year's deep class, trade down would be smarter for a team with multiple needs. I can build a complete team with extra picks this year and the next, but #6 is the furthest I would go down. You will still have a shot at one of the blue chip prospects at 6.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Big mistake to trade down. Manziel, Clowney, Bortles, pick one, draft them, and develop them.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is only 4 in this class, trading down to 6 will get you a nice pick, but you'll be passing on the elite talent.

20. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The problem is that all the blue chip prospects (Mack, Robinson, Watkins and of course Clowney) will be gone by 6. There is also a chance Manziel could be gone as well. That leaves you with Bortles. Hell I would trade down again to a team that wants Lewan, Matthews or Donald.

1 person likes this.