1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans got a long way to go

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfan83, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Buck Turgidson

I don't think a WR has gone #1 in quite some time, if at all, I think Irving Fryar was picked #2 early in the '80s, and Desmond Howard went 5th, iirc. I could see the Lions or Texans picking Rogers #1, since neither team needs a franchise qb in the draft. Houston could trade down, if they've got the top pick, to a team in the top 3-5 who covets Leftwich, but I would be shocked if Rogers gets past Detroit's pick. If I'm the Texans & they're holding the #1, Rogers is my guy. He's the best player in college football, from what I've seen so far, and he's the best WR I've seen in a long time. Randy Moss type talent, hopefully without being a complete headcase.

#21 Buck Turgidson, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2002
  2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Yeah right. :rolleyes: From 1988 to 1993 the Astrodome was OVERSOLD. That's right they sold more tix than there were seats for 6 YEARS!!! That Oilers did not move due to a lack of fan support. They moved because their owner got into a pissing contest with Bob Lanier. Check your facts before posting something like that.

News flash...these guys are pros. Their boss (Capers) will not tolerate anything but a 100% effort. They are starting 5 rookies on offense, including the QB. That is seldom a successful offense.

Expansion teams are generally not competitive. You bring up Carloina and Jacksonville while you conveniently leave out the fact that after those 2 teams were so successful so fast the NFL revamped the expansion process so that any expansion teams wouldn't be able to waltz in and load up their roster with top quality talent from top to bottom. All of the football minds out there know and have explained why expansion teams are never successful in year 1.

You clearly have a lack of understanding of football.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

your logic is so severely flawed, i'm having trouble deciding where, exactly, i should start attacking yet another one of your incoherent, gives stupid a bad name posts.

dave campo is something like 11-24 as a head coach, including losses to last year's 2-14 lions and this year's expansion texans. which begs the question: when, exactly, are the bar-raising, perfection-craving cowboy fans going to finally get around to mobilizing and start their torch-bearing witch hunt? oh, yeah, that's right, cowboy fans crawl back under their rock whenever the team struggles.

as for your tired regurgitation of cowboy this and cowboy that, you've long ago blown past annoying and have since entered rarified tool territory. your posts are inane, your points questionable, you ignore facts, try to jam square pegs into round holes and, frankly, read all the world like someone who only recently became a fan of football. that, or you're mentally r****ded.

so go on, scat. you're embarrassing yourself; the texans are an expansion team for god sakes and here you are desperately trying to run smack on it. frankly, it's pathetic. go pick on a team that would actually represent a step up for the cowboys' organization... like carolina.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not sure what you mean here...do you mean playoff losses?? because all of those happened on the road, save one...and that was a sellout and was loud as hell! the astrodome was dubbed the house of pain for quite some time...it was a difficult place for opposing teams to play because of fan noise through the late 80's and early 90's....the fans of houston didn't blow a 30+ point lead in Buffalo, thank you very much.

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Don't hold back, Ric, what do you really think of him?

6. Buck Turgidson

D@mn you Joe Montana!

7. MadMax

exactly...the oilers just became another one of a long list of teams that were burned by montana in the playoffs

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

So throw some facts out there oh wise one. Why are ratings for Texans games so low?

9. MadMax

the ratings for the Texans/Cowboys games in Houston were higher than Super Bowl ratings...they were out the roof...

are you talking about ratings IN HOUSTON for Texans games??

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Geez. When the season opener's ratings exceed the Super Bowl ratings, there's nowhere to go but down. Duh... I've got your back, MadMax...

Texans opener TV ratings hit

In keeping with a game that was described in some quarters as the Texas Super Bowl, Houston television viewers watched the Texans ' victory over the Cowboys on Sunday night in numbers that exceeded even the real Super Bowl last January.

The game simulcast on KTRK (Channel 13) and ESPN had a Nielsen rating of 42.2 with a 58 share and had an average TV audience in Houston of 772,935 households.That represents the largest prime-time audience for any show in Houston this year, exceeding Super Bowl XXXVI at 40.7/59 on KRIV (Channel 26) and the Academy Awards at 29.4/44 on Channel 13.

Channel 13 had an average rating of 33.8/47 for the Texans ' 19-10 victory, and ESPN's audience in Houston rated 8.4/12.

ESPN's national numbers will not be available until today, but a network spokeswoman estimated the game was seen by 8.35 million households, which would make it the most-watched NFL game on ESPN in at least three years and one of the top 10 most-watched cable programs ever.

Channel 13's rating fell short of the projected rating of 39.8/58 that it offered advertisers, perhaps in part because hard-core football fans tuned instead to ESPN, which has Sunday night games each week. But station spokesman Tom Ash said Channel 13 was pleased.

"We're overjoyed with our relationship with the Texans , and the Texans are happy with how it went, too," Ash said. "Our advertisers are happy as well. In fact, some of them have started re-signing for next season."

The game had peak audiences of 45.8/65 from 9 to 9:15 p.m. and 46.2/69 from 10:45 to 11 p.m. as the game ended. The latter figure is equal to 846,199 households, representing 69 percent of Houston's TV households that were watching their sets at that time.

In Dallas-Fort Worth, the game had a 20.4 rating on KTXA and a 13.3 rating on ESPN for a combined 33.7 rating.

Why was this game so lowly rated in Dallas? We're talking Dallas against Houston here!

11. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

12. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Of coarse your game opener is going to have high ratings, it's against the Cowboys. What have they been since then?

13. Hey Now!

is americas where cowboy fans go to hide when their team sucks? seriously, dude... give it a rest.

14. MadMax

honestly, i don't know...do you??? can you post a link to a story??

as for your analysis that it was the opening game and it should be high...why not in dallas? it was their season opener too, and they got smoked in the ratings.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Sure the ratings have been down. 2 things:
    1) The first game was Sunday night on ESPN. A great time to have your game for ratings.
    2) On Sunday afternoons not all that many people are sitting at home watching TV. I doubt the Texans ratings are out of line with the rest of the NFL.

16. MadMax

bangin -- hello?? are you there??? where's the beef???

17. Hey Now!

he's gone back to americas to hang out with other disillusioned cowboy fans.