1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans got a long way to go

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfan83, Sep 23, 2002.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Watching yesterdays game was very frustrating, the offense playcalling was terrible. Davind Carr is the most talented player on that side of the ball and he is being used like Trent Dilfer. These recievers are pathetic Gaffney dosent look like is trying, and nobody else can even catch the ball. Carrs pathetic stats are very misleading. Hes thrown the ball pretty decent at times.
    If the texans dont surround carr w/ some weapons he was just waste of a pick. Kurt Warner wouldnt even do any better. Capers needs to be more agressive on offense. if this is how hes going run this team why did he draft a QB w/ the 1st overall pick.?thist team wont win more than 4 games thats obvious. so develop your QB if the texans dont manage to do that it was a waste of season. Should have drafted Peppers if your going to rely on your defense that much. If the Texans don't draft one of the stud wr's this year its going to send this process back a few years. I know this a expansion team but come on you have to at least try to put a few points on the board. you have to throw the ball up field sometimes even if you dont have the talent to do so you might get lucky somes times. its not like we have a great running game either. so mix it up. on a postive note Posey looks like a hell of a player..go teaxans

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

*News Flash*

It usually takes a few years for an expansion team to become competitive.

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

rezdawg *News Flash*

It usually takes a few years for an expansion team to become competitive.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    True but Carr isnt ever going to devlope if they dont open up the offense. i know theyre gonna suck for a few years. but they have to devlope the players esp carr. in my opinion theyve done poor job so far

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The reason they haven't opened it up is because the pass protection is absolutely terrible, and they are playing conservative so that they don't have Carr taking a beating every play and risking injury. When Boselli and Young return, they will be more aggressive.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They can't open up the offense until:

1. The O-line develops some continuity (and health).
    2. The receivers (Gaffney and Bradford) develop their timing with Carr.
    3. The running game is consistent (looks like Wells is taking care of that).

It is not as simple as just calling long bombs all day. Palmer can only call what the players can actually execute. That is how you develop players. Accentuate their strengths and do not expose their weaknesses.

The Colts played cover 2 all day--which neutralized our receivers speed and made them true route runners, the weakness of most of the speedsters except Gaffney. With saftey help over the top, there was no way the Texans receivers were gonna get open deep. The only hope was short and intermediate passes. Unfortunately, as one of the commentators noted, the Texans did not involve a tight end in the passing game very much. However, this could be due to the need for the extra pass protection.

Don't worry. This is too soon to judge so harshly. They may have just gotten the running game on track, which in turn will empower the play action/verticle game. In the mean time, the receivers and Carr will be getting in sync.

I think the Texans are doing a good job developing their players--like Wells, Pitts, Weary. I personally think Carr did a good job showing patience by not forcing passes and going to his check-offs. As the timing comes along and guys, hopefully, stop dropping so many critical passes, the offense will come along.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Check this out:

NFL QB rating calculator

David Carr is 26 for 69 for 331 yards, 2 TDs and 4 INTs for a rating of 41.39

Now, if he had thrown every single one of his passes into the dirt, he would have a rating of 39.58.

Ya know, I think sacrificing a few rating points is worth not getting sacked 8 times per game! :D

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The offense is conservative because of 3 things:
    1) No O line
    2) WRs haven't been catching the ball
    3) Carr's confidence has been shaken and the last 2 games he has not been accurate.

We REALLY need to draft Charles Rogers in April. Rogers will be a playmaker...and Gaffney will be a good #2 receiver.

8. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Refman, like your sig, did you go to Texas A&M?

The main reason our offense is doing so bad is because of our O-line. I mean Favre would even struggle behind our o-line. once we get back YOung and Boselli we will look alot better. Plus having some WR that can catch could help too.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we agree a lot...but i REALLY agree with your post here!!! Charles Rogers is a freaking playmaker...he's a big receiver and a guy you can look to on a big 3rd down...that's exactly what the Texans need.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Thanks...and yep...Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1995.

As opposed to my other posts with which you agree lukewarmly? :D

It's clear that the Texans need a playmaker...especially one who can make the defense pay with a short pass in the flat. Rogers will KILL a defense with YAC.

11. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

What about Jacksonville, and Carolina? Carolina went 7-9 their first year, and both made it to the AFC/NFC Championship game in their 3rd year. The Texans were given more of an opportunity to succeed at an earlier rate than either of these teams. There should be absolutely no reason the Texans can't go 7-9 this year. I would consider anything less than 7-9 a failure, as should you guys.

12. rezdawg

I take it you are either 5 years old or know nothing about football. You choose.

13. rezdawg

Charles Rogers is a bad ass. Did any of you catch the plays he had last saturday? The guy is a stud and would have an immediate impact on our team.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Who is this Charles Rogers guy?

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken this is the WR for Michigan State, who is a heisman trophy candidate, and made possibly the best catch I have ever seen in my life against Notre Dame to give the Spartans the lead in the fourth quarter...and here it is:

[​IMG]
    Michigan State receiver Charles Rogers (1), defended by Notre Dame cornerback Shane Walton, lands with one foot in the endzone for a touchdown in the fourth quarter at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Saturday, Sept. 21, 2002. Rogers tied an NCAA record by catching a touchdown pass in his twelfth straight regular season game Saturday against Notre Dame. Rogers tied the record shared by Marshall's Randy Moss, Michigan's Desmond Howard and Pacific's Aaron Turner. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

But, assuming we get the #1 pick, how many Wide Receivers have been taken #1? Do you think he is worth a #1 pick?

#15 DCkid, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2002
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Carolina and Jacksonville existed in a time of rampant free agency...in fact, they were introduced to the league at a most opportune time...they were largely comprised of veterans...and pro bowlers at that...the Texans are starting 5 rookies on the offensive end of the ball...that hasn't been done in nearly 25 years in the NFL. The model the Texans have started with more closely resembles what Cleveland went through than what Carolina and J-Ville went through...the Texans are eyeing year 3 as being a playoff year...i think even that's a stretch.

Having said that...they're already better than I thought they would be.

There a thousand reasons why the Texans won't go 7-9 this year...and why they shouldn't. Just check out the line out of Vegas...they're never picked to lose by anything less than 8 points! It will be like that nearly all season.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it was actually their second year.

also, your attempt to try and talk up the texans to lessen the impact of the opening night loss reeks of desperation. deal with it: you lost to a standard variety expansion team. the average first year expansion win total is 3. houston will be lucky to win 5.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Troy Aikman and the Cowboys sucked too. I wish they were better, but this is our reality. It takes some time.

I think using Carr is ok tho', he's getting used to the offense, he's learning the speed of the game, and he's developing a relationship with the players. It's all going to work out. They just look like crap becasue nobody is ready for this level of play.

It just goes to show you how much you do need weapons. McNair had George and Wychek and was able to win some games when he came in and started. but it still took three to four years.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

There are weapons to be had tho...

What we need to try and get are those players that had huge potential, but have been dissed by their teams. Guys like Trung Candidate are probably available to cure some of our problems. Of course, I though Allen was that type of guy too :) So what do I know. But there will be plenty of players like that who we can go after in the offseason. Guys who are ready to start but remain on the bench behind superstars.

20. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

You can also use the argument that the Texans have an extra advantage because of the salary cap. The expansion draft the Texans picked from was the best in NFL history. Do you honestly think that guys like Boselli or Aaron Glen would have been exposed before the salary cap era? The Texans defense is far ahead of where the Browns defense was in it's first year.

Your reluctance to expect anything else but failure is the reason Pro Football in Houston has always failed. Believe it or not the energy from the fans plays a big part in the teams success. Do you think players never listen to talk radio, or pick up a news paper, or even visit this board? Players listen, and read what you guys are saying about them. If the players hear or read that it's ok to suck just because they are an "expansion team" then they'll go into games thinking that it is ok to lose. Well it's not ok. Everyone realises that the Cowboys suck this year. Do you think that Quincy Carter or Dave Campo won't get their a$$es run out of town if they continue to lose. The fans/media in Dallas, and will run their butts right out of the NFL because we demand perfection. The team set a high standard, and if they fail to live up to that standard they will be gone. You can use the fact that the team is new as an excuse, or at least you shouldn't in my opinion.