1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire OT Chris Clark

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't trying to suggest that you were one of those people....

The fact that the Texans depth at O line is as weak as it is should be enough to justify picking up another O lineman. The fact that XSF is injured at the moment might be reason for short sighted people to jump on him and whine about the Texans not wanting one of their draft crushes a few years back....but I don't really consider the opinion of people like that to be terribly valuable.

Personally, I'll judge XSF on his play this season, not on him having an injury.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not trying to attack the guy, just commenting on his play as a LG. It's been bad and I hope he isn't going to be there the whole year.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason he's been playing there is because XSF is injured, as soon as he heals up, we won't be having to see Jeff Adams again.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Guess O'Brien wasn't impressed by any of those second or third stringers playing with Mallett and Hoyer last night.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It has been bad, but yes he has been competing with XSF on the starting spot.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/08/03/obrien-believes-in-sua-filo/

Houston (CBS Houston)- One of the Texans’ more interesting story lines during camp has been the role of 2014 second round pick Xavier Su’a-Filo. The former first pick in the second round has been taking second team reps at left guard in favor Jeff Adams, and undrafted guy who’s played for five teams.

After saying Adams had a chance to win the starting job on Sunday, Bill O’Brien addressed Su’a-Filo’s status on Monday night.

“I’d say he’s in there competing at the guard spot with (Jeff) Adams, and (Brandon) Brooks, all those guys,” O’Brien said. ” Xavier is competing. We’ll see how he did tonight. He’s a good kid. I believe in Xavier. I just want him to keep improving.”

6. Mr. Clutch

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1h1 hour ago

Jeff Adams was supposed to be Texans swing tackle but he's starting at LG cause Su'a-Filo has been ineffective and injured.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is terrible reporting. Pretty hard to be ineffective when you cannot practice because of a high ankle sprain.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If it wasn't terrible reporting, it wouldn't be Pancakes McClain

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Actually XSF was ineffective before the injury. It was early but he was practicing with the 2nd team.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not true to say that Adams is only at LG because of XSF's injury. He was competing with him prior to the injury unfortunately.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And yet they have XSF listed as the starter on the depth chart. I'm pretty sure once XSF comes back healthy, we won't be seeing Adams anymore....and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans pick up another guard from other team's cuts.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Meh...the depth chart also lists Christian Covington as the 4th string nose tackle. There's a reason why it is "unofficial". I'm almost certain with Coach OB , Xavier is going to have to earn that starting spot back. Now picking up another guard from another team, I can definitely see that.

13. Mr. Clutch

Yes and Bob was saying he was competing for the starting job before the injury. Not the annointed starter

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

OL depth is always nice.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think they've updated it (at least the one on the website) since they first released it. All rookies are still listed as 4th string/other and it doesn't even list Demps at safety.

16. Airdough

Airdough Member

Unless it's a no brainier starter or the coaching staff has officially said otherwise, the depth chart now means nothing. XSF couldn't get on the field last year and was struggling before his injury. Fair or not due to his current injury, he has to get on the field and produce. It's a second round pick, you don't want to be waiting two years to cash in on an interior lineman. Those are the types of players who should be able to contribute almost from day one.

Here's to hoping he gets it together. As for those who think any knock on XSF is agenda driven, that's on you.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Experienced player added cheaply for depth plus he probably wasn't a fit in Kubiak's ZBS.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

all this really makes me miss the 2010-12 Offensive Line

19. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

glad we didn't go after collins.... :rolleyes:

#dumb #weshouldhavepickedupcollins

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien on Chris Clark: 'I see him as a swing tackle.'</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/638426637135147008">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien said Chris Clark will play tackle against the Cowboys</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/638426819520237568">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien on offensive line depth: &quot;It's better with the addition of (Chris) Clark (acquired in trade w/Denver).It's a work in progress.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/638427152799535104">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>