1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Derrick Mason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets934life, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

lmao..

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Would love to re-run the final play Sunday with him replacing JJ.

3. itzIce

itzIce Member

Javon Walker anyone?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Boy did that guy fall off a cliff.

If he came back, he'd have to serve a 4 game suspension.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also, the team needs Schaub to throw to the flat more often - get the ball to Foster on the edge.

DD

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Mason is a smart receiver. There's no way he lets that play happen the way he did.

One thing I don't get about that play (and this is on Schaub and Jacoby) is since the corner was in front of Jacoby and there was no one between him and the far left side of the endzone, why didn't Jacoby throw the hand up to signal Schaub to the the back and just turn that way.

Mason is on that play, once Huff is in front of him like that he turns toward the left side of the endzone and calls for a duck over the shoulder.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was wondering the same thing. Schaub obviously though JJ would stay put and block off Huff.

8. Hey Now!

I think Schaub panicked. If you watch it again (and I've watched 1,000,000 times), Jacoby lets the defender move in front because, I think, he's going to break to the back of the end zone - but Schaub has already thrown the ball.

He has Jacoby open initially but for some reason (my guess is that he was thinking run), he pump fakes rather than throws - and when the safety doesn't bite (at all), Schaub makes the strange decision to start running parallel to the goalline, and here's JJ already nearly up against the sideline - where can he go?). Just an all-around poor group of choices from Schaub. BUT... I think it's safe to assume that his lack of comfort (confidence?) in JJ was also a factor. No way Schaub and AJ don't at least get close on that.

Having said all that, Kubiak and the coaches obviously aren't happy with JJ, be it that play or in general - so maybe they see it differently.

9. justtxyank

Resigning JJ was such a mistake. Would much rather have tried to put that money into Josh Wilson from the Ravens. He could be returning kicks as well as Jacoby is and he actually plays a good CB.

JJ is just useless as a WR. He's football dumb with bad hands. His only value is as a PR, and if we were going to pay for that I'd rather that guy be able to double as a competent player somewhere else on the field.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

My guess is Schaub is indeed not comfortable at all with JJ.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Really???

Anquan Boldin had 64 receptions for 837 yards and 7tds
    Derrick Mason had 61 receptions for 802 yards and 7tds

Mason was released for salary cap reasons.

I've always liked him. He was a guy that was 5th on the depth chart. Had been in the league a few years, and considered as nothing but a solid punt/kick returner. Then the perfect storm happened for him. Carl Pickens got hurt in training camp, Yancey Thigpen was perpetually hurt, Kevin Dyson tore up his knee, and Chris Sanders sucked at football.

12. Mr. Clutch

Yes, and the Ravens actually tried to resign him after cutting him for salary cap reasons.

The Titans, Jets, and Ravens were trying to sign him. Mason went to the Jets because he thought they were contenders.

13. Hey Now!

I wonder if, given a normal offseason, they would have done so? I think they rightly (in theory) had a "status quo" approach to their offseason; rock as little as possible; add necessary new parts.

Additionally, had the defense not been such a massive concern (and, thus, priority, especially given, again, the lack of a normal offseason), would they have possibly used an earlier pick on a WR? Titus Young and Randall Cobb both were taken after our 2 2nd round picks.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I hope Mason replaces Jokeby Jones as the punt returner too. Then we can address getting a long term replacement in the next draft.

15. Mr. Clutch

You can't rebuild a whole team in one offseason. We addressed the defense. There's only so many picks and cap room each team has.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This is a shrewd move. Mason is that dependable receiver who just makes plays. Runs good routes, find gaps in coverage and able to get separation. He is like Hines Ward in Pittsburgh. It is surprising though that he does sticks anywhere

However, he is a true deep threat though to help stretch the field. He does have deceptive speed and can sneak behind a coverage, but he won't attract that much safety help. Isn't there some young gun sprinting WR on a practice squad that could do that?

17. Mr. Clutch

JJ can do that...he just can't catch the ball.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

What you talkin about?.. They had Trinton Holliday...They had Slaton... both couldnt run it through Reliant's parking lot without setting off car alarms... Jakobe is still head and shoulders the best punt returner we've had as Texans.. He can be useful there to finish out his contract...

19. justtxyank

I heard them say this on the radio this morning and I don't understand it. This will be his 15th NFL season which is exceptionally long.

He spent the first 8 with Tennessee. He spent the next 6 with Baltimore. He was then cut for salary cap purposes and the team attempted to resign him but he opted to go a team he thought had a better chance at a Superbowl.

After a few games there he obviously wasn't fitting in and they traded him. So his 14 seasons he played for 2 teams. In his 15th season he signed somewhere he didn't fit and got traded. Why do people say he can't stick?

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

That's not saying much. It's almost like him getting the award by default. Btw, Slaton and Holliday were kickoff returners. Anyways, Jones is too much of a dancer and not enough north/south (the PR TD in the first game against a hapless Colts notwithstanding). Him doing an over the shoulder fair catch near our end zone was atrocious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.