1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terror attack on London Bridge June 3 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. We are not each others' enemies. That would be these scummy radical Islamists.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Here's what you keep typing:

"I'm appalled and furious...terrorists will deliberately target innocent Londoners...6 people have been killed, more than 40 in hospital...some of them are critical...the threat level remains at severe...attacks across the country are highly likely...terrorists are constantly evolving finding new ways to disrupt us, harm us, attack us...no reason to be alarmed"

-Mayor Sadiq Khan

That's called paraphrasing. Those "..." indicate there were sentences in between.

I gave you the direct quote. As you can tell, you left out the context. Just admit your error and move on if you truly made a mix up or a goof.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I see your mistake now. Your quote is much later in the press conference as his answer to the last question. The second time he said "no reason to be alarmed" was the quote you are using. My quotes are the first time he said it. I did not cut it from the quote you gave. I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you but please don't accuse people of making mistakes without having the facts or bothering to know what he said.

4. dmoneybangbang

So if we are talking about this in context of the Trump tweet, then you are incorrect. The "no reason to be alarmed" was in the context of increased police presence.

And again, you've only paraphrased the quote. You can clear this up by posting the full quote of what you are referring to, until then you are still mistaken.

5. Bandwagoner

The "no reason to be alarmed" I quoted (I am unfamiliar with Trump's tweet) was the first time he said it. It was not preceded by "There is "

I've used his words and only his words, so quote is the correct description. I did not use different words, I did not reword.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

humm... someone doesn't have more important things to do then to defend the ego

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let your pride go dude. You are looking ridiculous.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes you did. That is correct. I don't understand why anyone is denying that.

9. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Reward is one aspect but so is "clearness" in your definition and it's first so it's more important. :cool: You wanted it to be clear that your version said what you claimed. When you use this punctuation, "...", it indicates that words and sentences are being left out, usually due to brevity. Again, maybe this is just a mistake on your part since you didn't want to type everything out, but the context is clear.

You left out a lot of words which changed the context. For the third time, I quoted the part you left out in regards to "no reason to be alarmed". He was warning citizens that there will be a police increase around the city.

10. Bandwagoner

I look ridiculous among posters who deny reality and don't know what paraphrase means.

[​IMG]
    No "reword" is key. If you use the same words it is a quote. That's the difference between paraphrase and quote. And for the second time, the "no reason to be alarmed" I quoted is not from the same answer the "no reason to be alarmed" you quoted. So you didn't "quote the part I left out", you quoted an entirely different answer. Do you want to admit this goof now? Is paraphrase "a restatement of the meaning of a text or passage using other words."?

This entire post contains facts.

11. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Haven't been keeping up in this thread but if I had to guess the scum liberals are still defending Muslim religion over the innocent people murdered by these terrible ****s?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Actually no.. We are having a discussion on whether it id rational for a leader to make his constituents feel panic or calm.

13. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Great deflection. :cool:

Quote me the exact context that prompted you with this response. No more "......" that you keep ignoring when I call you out.....:cool:

"My quote is perfect! I am the healthiest president ever!" Is that you Trump, get back to work!

Again, it's okay if you were mistaken, just admit your goof and move on.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The liberals are the ones who expressed sympathy for the victims.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The liberals also seem capable of realizing what doesn't help is for our President, instead of, you know, helping or offering any kind of substantial cooperation, to Twitter snipe at the mayor of the suffering city and to then tweet completely unrelated gun propaganda as if he's a junior high kid on a basketball message board or something.

16. Bandwagoner

You were mistaken about which "no reason to worry" I was quoting and what the meaning of paraphrase is. The discussion is if I inaccurately quoted or paraphrased (I didn't). If you now admit both of these then you can just watch the entire video to get the context (like you should have done before saying I was mistaken) and move on knowing I was right.

I'm just happy you know what paraphrase means now TBH.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

So you don't even want to read anything but just wanna chime in with your hatred for liberals? Smh

I grew up Muslim and guess I'm one of those liberals. No Muslim I know defends these **** head terrorists.

18. dmoneybangbang

Great, then quote it exactly as he said it. In fact, give me both quotes. Or post the video. :cool:

I just wonder what the word for using the punctuation, "....", to indicate the sentences are missing in order summarize a speech. Maybe "summarize" is just the correct word? What do you think the word should be?

Great deflection however. :cool:

19. Bandwagoner

Research it yourself before you say my quote was wrong. You have basically just jumped in and said I was wrong, I gave you the facts, and now you want me to transcribe more of his answers.
    It's called a quote. Again you come in, claim a quote is a paraphrase, are shown to be completely wrong, then call that correction a deflection.

You:
    Hey that's wrong
    Me:
    No it isn't
    You:
    Nice deflection bro.

You made it the point of three of your posts to call my quote a paraphrase. It isn't. You seem to not be disputing any of my quotes just that to form your own opinion of the quote you want to see the entire thing. Great, watch the video.

20. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Let's see....

Honey, I did my research.

I like how easy it is to take 3 minutes to follow everything you said and quote it.

No, what I've been doing above is quoting you and not chopping out sentences.

I have disputed your quotes, you just keep deflecting because I partially used "paraphrase" wrong.

^^^^^
    This is summarizing a speech while leaving out sentences indicated by the appropriate punctuation function. You have indicated that you have not used the full quote and left out sentences. Perhaps someone can help us out and get the proper nomenclature here. :cool:

Man you stretched the hell out of those goal posts over several pages of this thread....