1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones could be a big boost for this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sen89, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

We have Casspi to contribute 15-25mpg a night, but he’s a specialty role player who excels in uptempo lineups (and obviously can’t hang with the more physical PFs in the NBA).

Some guys who’ve been discussed as possible targets in trade rumors such as Ryan Anderson and Jeff Green would really be taking Casspi’s role – and just be a “rich man’s Casspi” for us. Neither would address what we’re missing from the PF spot.

So ask yourself what we need really out of the PF position in today’s NBA (and who we currently have, not counting Dwight – I don’t want any more extended 2 C lineups):

- A guy who can space the floor next to Dwight (Casspi)
    - A guy who can run the floor when we’re going uptempo (Casspi/Parsons in small lineups)
    - A guy who can stay with athletic 4s defensively (nobody)
    - A guy who can bang inside with physical 4s, defensively and on the glass (nobody)
    - A guy who can finish around the rim (nobody)
    - A guy who can find ways to contribute without a high USG% (nobody?)

Jones, while he’s shown himself to be raw and inconsistent at times, has the ability to check off pretty much every one of those “empty” boxes for us at the PF position.

Defense is a lot more than physical ability, but having lateral quickness, fluidity and athleticism in a 6’9” 250 frame is a huge advantage. The best way to build that necessary awareness is in-game experience, and playing next to Dwight is a nice start.

What we really need is a guy who can provide energy/athleticism and not be a liability at either end from that spot, and Jones has the ability to be that guy. Why not give him a shot, and start off with 10-15 mpg?

2. Sen89

Sen89 Member

And also throw in the fact that he doesn't crowd the paint for Dwight and has some face-up potential offensively (mostly driving, as his J is still developing - but it's not broken either)

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know. Every time Jones is in, he just kind of stomps around aimlessly.

4. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

I think the key here is that you confuse 'ability' with 'potential'. If Jones really had the ability to check off most of these boxes, I'd bet he would play. But having the potential is a far cry from fulfilling it, and right now Jones has to be patient on a team that is planning to make some noise in the postseason and developing young players is not high on the priority list.

As the season develops, and people will miss time due to injuries etc., it will be Jones' opportunity to show that he can turn potential into ability.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

No, lol, his J is broken. It's an ugly shot that bricks hard.

He's also kind of slow reaction-wise on defense. Offensively, he can drive quite well.

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

While he had his aimless moments in the preseason, I remember the team running very smoothly when he was in (especially the starting group)...I think he had some of the best +/- numbers on the team (a flawed stat, I know).

The point is that he may not always look great if you focus on him, but his natural tools allow him to do a lot of the intangible things needed on this team.

7. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I haven't seen the improved Jones that people talk about during the Summer. It's the same Jones to me...the slow, hesitant and pass the ball facilitator Jones of last year. He needs to attack the basket and be a part of the team. I haven't seen that from him and Dmo since they came into this league. It's like they have their hands tied up and not allowed to do those things because they're NOT good enough. I remember when Lin and Harden play for the 1st several games, Lin was just playing as a facilitator...not being aggressive and attacking the basket...or not giving the chance to do what he can do....it's the same thing i see w/ Jones and Dmo. They haven't done anything. There is a reason they're being benched and not getting full confident from the coaches. They need to play like Parson and Garcia and Casspi and be part of the team.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Aimlessly? Hmm...

9. Play07

Play07 Member

Marcus Morris would be a better option at this point

10. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

- A guy who can finish around the rim (nobody)
    - A guy who can find ways to contribute without a high USG% (nobody?)

DONATAS MOTIEJUNAS

11. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

- A guy who can space the floor next to Dwight (Casspi)
    - A guy who can run the floor when we’re going uptempo (Casspi/Parsons in small lineups)

DONATAS MOTIEJUNAS

12. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, but he's a beast. When he gets going, he has no regard for human life.

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Morris was #theworst

D-Mo has touch, but doesn't finish well through contact at all.

And unlike Jones, he's significantly better when he gets consistent touches. When he had his "hot start" last year after Pat got dealt, it was because we were feeding him the ball. Then, he became an afterthought, and struggled to contribute while being a complementary player.

14. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

Sorry for triple posting, too bad there is no edit option, but DMo is the answer to a lot of our problems/needs.
    Who cares he's bad on defense? Look at Chicago - great defending center in Noah and bad defending PF in Boozer. But Boozer is good on offense.
    Look at Indiana. Same story: Hibbert - monster on D, while West never was known for his D.
    We can have the same here in Houston, with defensive monster at Center in Howard or Asik when he's coming off the bench and DMo @ PF, because he's very good on offense, just like west and boozer, and no one cares about defense at PF. THIS WOULD WORK.
    #fireMcHell

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have a question. Does Jones have a better shot than Howard or Asik?

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets suck in situations like this. They are always to slow to react. Jones has been the obvious choice all along.

17. MrJason

MrJason Member

So many people replied to you but no one understood the joke. SMH

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

D-Mo is 1000000 times softer than West and softer than Boozer as well.

Also, D-Mo is at his best close to the basket, while West/Boozer operate well in the 15-foot area. D-Mo would crowd Howard near the basket, and if we send him outside, he'd just launch a bunch of threes (which he'd only make 1/4th of). He's not the answer.

19. NotChandlerParsons

Yeah marginally, but probably not to the point where you want him hoisting up a bunch of jumpshots.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I honestly think the Rockets will end up giving up on Jones at the deadline. I think after the deadline, we will have Ryan Anderson and no more Jones or Asik.

If we can get Anderson for Asik, you've got to do it, in my opinion. As much as I'd hate to lose the Turkish Troll, he just doesn't fit with this team. Anderson obviously fits.