1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ten Years. A Tale of Two Cities

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 3, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Book of Face just reminded me that ten years ago today I went to Target Field to see the Stros at Twins. Then I wrote this:
    "Getting ready to see the Astros take on the Twins. Two of the worst teams in baseball. Things looked close yesterday in the 9th and extra innings but the Stros really busted their butts to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. There is a reason why they are on pace for a historical back to back to back 100+ loss seasons in two different leagues!
    GO STROS!"

Reflecting on it 10 years later I wrote this this morning for my Minnesota friends:
    "10 years ago the Astros were one of the worst teams in baseball on their way to a historic 111 loss season. The Minnesota Twins were on their way to a 96 loss season. Two years later the Stros went to the playoffs and since then have won two World Series, been to four World Series, and been to six AL Championships. The Twins have been to three playoff appearances. Getting swept twice by the Yankees and once by the Stros.

Yeah I know "CHEATING!" "BANGING TRASH CANS!" yet even with the attention of the whole MLB on them the Stros still went three ALCS, two WS and won one. Even with a Bomba Squad and juiced balls the Twins still got swept in the playoffs.

I actually like the Twins and they are my second favorite team but the differences in how the organizations work is what is holding them back. This past week the Stros gave up several prospects to get a first ballot Hall of Famer back to their pitching roster. After trailing the Texas Rangers all season they finally get a share of first place in their division. The Twins who are clinging to first in their divison (thanks to the Stros for sweeping Cleveland) stand pat. This organization for the past 25 years has always played it cheap. They never make the big trade late in the season even when they are looking good. Especially for pitching. They hold onto prospects but then let them walk when they become too expensive. Until the Twins are willing to take the type of moves the Stros did in the last ten years we're not going to see a World Series banner hoisted in Target Field in the foreseeable future."

It has been quite a ride seeing how different these two organizations are and how the leadership of the Stros have made a commitment to winning. In the meantime the Twins just seem happy to mediocrity. For other Houston Sports, particularly the Texans, this is a lesson worth learning.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As much as I loved Luhnow and all the stars like Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Springer, Correa, Yuli, etc. The credit really belongs to Crane. He had a vision and he hired the guys to execute that vision. He didn't micromanage, but he was totally willing to step in when things weren't right. I trust Crane, he's one of the rare owners that has a great understanding of what makes a great baseball team. Luhnow was a nobody when hired, Click was a nobody, Dana Brown was finally given a chance after many years in player development. Crane has always made the wise choice and when they didn't work, he cut his losses quickly.

#2 rockbox, Aug 3, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It’s pretty amazing to think how low the Astros were ten years ago and since then they’ve been the best team in baseball

raining threes and rockbox like this.
  4. raining threes

This is what happens when great ownership and a great GM intersect.

Sledge187 likes this.
  5. rockbox

It was pretty amazing how fast we rose. 3 years between 100 loss and 100 win season with a world series win.

6. rockbox

On a side note, Elias is going to take Baltimore from 100 to 100 with only one season in between

raining threes and desihooper like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not up if there has been a 100 loss to 100 win back to back seasons but there's been several worst to first in one seasons. In 1990 both the Twins and Braves were the last place teams in their leagues and they played each other in the 1991 WS with the Twins winning in 7.

What is unusual is the amount of dominance the Stros have had since that 111 loss season. I'm not sure if there has been another team that has been that terrible only to dominate the next decade. Maybe the Braves and the 90's but they only won one WS in that whole run.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

10 years ago, we were in the middle of our 3rd 100-loss season in a row.

Only thing I remember about it was that I couldn't watch any games on TV because of the Comcast debacle. No Rockets either. Just a miserable time to be a Houston sports fan.

rockbox, snowconeman22 and desihooper like this.