1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tecmo Super Bowl: Can anyone on this earth beat me at that game?...uh...no

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Nov 10, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

First of all, I started this thread with respect to Manny Ramirez because the Tecmo game, itself, was taking away from the actual topic, "Special Talent That You Do Better Than Anyone Else."

This thread is for Tecmo smack and NBA games smack only.

A-Train, your assessment of the game was perfect. The AI is really good when you play the opponent in the super bowl.

DREAMer, Bring it on. I will show how inferior you are.

Gascon, you too. I'll show you the harsh reality. You guys can "practice" all you want, but it will not affect the bottom line: I will win.

And, Gascon, I have played LIVE ever since its inception in 1994-95. Now, I am not proclaiming to be the best LIVE player. But For one edition, I will.

Gascon, I will absolutely, without a doubt, DESTROY you in NBA LIVE 98. Dude, you have no chance playing me in that game. I'll go as far to say that it won't even be a close game.
    I'll beat you in LIVE 2001 for PS1, also.

QUOTE]Originally posted by francis 4 prez

Bull****. I am the best at Tecmo Super Bowl and everyone knows it. Give me the 49ers and you will be crying for mommy by the middle of the second quarter. Seriously, I am awesome at that game with my only weakness being the ability to push the A button superfast to tackle and break tackles. I love playing the season with San Fran and having the San Diego game roll around in week 2. Damn it's just like 70-0 everytime, and that's with running the ball and slowing the scoring up. So again, I'm saying I would do some serious JBIIRockets ass kicking if we ever met up.

[/QUOTE]

That is classic, francis 4 prez. You are just falling into the trap. Are you sure you want to be this confident? I mean, I would hate to see how distraught you would be when I shut down your passing game. If we played, you would soon find out that my D is stunningly resistant and you would have no chance.

You know, this might be my favorite post/thread ever. I mean, reading how confident you guys are is outstanding. It makes me feel good. And, ultimatley, it will make my beating of you all that much more enjoyable.

Man, I am pumped!

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Ahh, a thread about Tecmo Super Bowl. I believe my life is now complete.

Seriously, I have no idea how good you are but I am about as close to perfection on that game as I believe one can get so if you could beat me then I would have to tip my hat (figuratively since I won't be wearing one) to you for your outstanding play.

Just for comparison, when you play with Houston against the computer in a regular season game (preseason is way too easy) around what is your average score. I would say with SF I usually win about 50-55 to 7.

Oh and to contribute to the exorbitant amount of bravado oozing from the other thread, all I can say is Warren Moon would be Charles Haley's b**** and whoever the hell the Oilers have in their secondary would stand no chance as the Tecmo game repeatedly allows Rice and Taylor to catch the ball in triple coverage. Try picking my B and left play, I'll just throw to Taylor for the first down in like quadruple coverage. I'm not sure who you use on defense, but I'm sure Craig would have no trouble with Childress.

Come to think of it, it might be better to be the Bills considering they have two dominant defenders in Smith and Bennett, Thomas is lightning quick and their receivers/passing game is almost on par with SF's. I find having a real quick back is good when playing against a real person cuz you always need to be able to get small chunks of yards. However, the advantage the game gives Montana/Rice is hard to overlook.

So again, I say bring it on.

edit: Oh and I forgot to mention Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest game ever made. From all the stats it keeps to playing a full season to using real players (especially QB Bills) it is awesome. Y'all also keep bringing up the AI and saying the computer better reacts to what you do as a season goes on; I guess I never noticed it that much cuz I kicked so much ass the computer couldn't stop me anyway. My one complaint is that when I do a season with SF Craig loses all his speed after week 3. Other than that, the game rules.

#2 francis 4 prez, Nov 10, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2001
  3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Bo Jackson and I would run over all your a$$e$.

:eek:

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I may as well start the NBA trash talking.

I can't say anything about NBA Live or any other newer game, but I can say this: I will completely, utterly, and absolutely destroy, embarrass, and humiliate any one of you feebled-thumbed pansies at NBA Jam TE for the SNES.

Pick up a controller. I dare you.

5. francis 4 prez

Just like Warren Moon, Bo Jackson would be Charles Haley's b****.

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

Ha! I don't post much, but I had to here....

I once went a season on Tecmo Super Bowl giving up 60 points or so over the whole season. That's an average of less than 4 points a game! And once, I beat the Cincinnati Bengals 116-0. I am not exaggerating. I've busted that century mark 3 or 4 times, and it gets easiest when the computer goes for it on 4th down like an idiot in the 4th quarter, even if it's 4th and 35 after a bunch of sacks. If I have ever lost that game, it's been to a friend, and not the computer. And i think i lost once in a meaningless exhibition game....Give me whoever, it won't matter....But i'll say that the Eagles and Giants defense in that game are awesome. Too bad I can't go more than a game or two playing with Thurman Thomas or Barry Sanders without hearing that darn hospital music. Those guys are usually one of three things....a) Awesome running backs, b) in "bad" condition, or c) in the FREAKING hospital for getting hurt!

One more thing...fun to use people like Craig Ironhead Heyward, or other backs with remarkable hitting power, and just plow right over those Defensive Backs without them even grabbing on to you. That game rocks!

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have also been down to open a can of serious whoop ass on any challenger on this game . Schroeder to Brown! Meryn Fernandez !

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would talk Tecmo trash if I thought there was any serious comp in this thread ...

The funniest thing that I ever saw happened in one of those games. My little cuz was trying to get decent at the game, and wouldn't let me play him because he would get pissed because I would always whoop up on him. So he played a season, and he surprised me because he went undefeated. I didn't think he had it in him.

So anyway, he gets to the superbowl. I don't know who he was playing with, but he was playing against the niners. This game he struggles hard, but he comes from behind and takes a small lead in the fourth and ends up the ball with a few seconds left in the game. The games almost over, but it's fourth down, so he still has to run one more play. He decides to fake punt it(a pass) Me and his older brother start telling him he's going to pay for f***ing around like that, and he should call a real play and end the game. He just blows us off, and thinks hes all awesome now. So he gets the passer, and fades back, back, back, and right before he gets sacked(with no time left), he launches it. Weak, weak, weak throw. There isn't even anyone around where the ball lands - except for Deion Sanders!!! Interception!! Me and the older cousin start to laugh as Deion runs the 80 yard INT back for a game winning td with 11 tecmo dudes running less than a half inch behind him.

I'll never forget my little cousin throwing the controller across the room, screaming "No no no" laced with plenty of cussing. I don't think he ever played it again.

classic. :D

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

JBII, I don't think I can beat you.

I <b>KNOW</b> I can whip the living hell out of you. ;)

TECMO is the greatest sports game ever. My friends and I would play seasons, and once I got the Raiders warmed up it was a given who would end up where. I played the hell out of this game - it got so bad I would pick the worst team (the Pats I think), and play through the season with all their scrubs. Still setting records, though.

I've been playing LIVE since '95 for the Genesis...and they're all pretty good, but I can counter your 98 claim with one of my own...on 95, you might as well give up at the half. No matter what the situation, I would ALWAYS win in the fourth quarter. If any of my opponents happen to be leading (not like you would) after the third quarter, they never celebrated...because they knew what was coming.

Bring it.

:D

10. JBIIRockets

Rokkit, I like how you think you know you can beat me. I mean, the Raiders? The team with NO passing game whatsoever. Shroader is an interception waiting to happen. It is safe to say that I do not like your chances against a player as talented as me.

And as for NBA LIVE 95, yeah you would beat me in that. I was a decent player at that game, but not great. Props to you for being the best player ever in NBA LIVE 95.

Oh, but if you played me in LIVE 96 for the genesis, I would smoke you.

Of course, I like these LIVE debates LESS because I know that alot of posters here play with the Rockets. And I always play with the Rockets.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Montana to Rice is like cheating.

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Well, I didn't keep stats on every game I ever played, or ever season, but I dug up a couple that I did keep.

NY Giants: (Stats of note) - On level: Hard

Lawrence Taylor: 103 sacks

Phil Simms: 90.5% comp (202/233), 91 TDs, 0 INTs, 6,703 YDs.
    Otis Anderson: 73 att, 946 YDs, 24 TDs, 22 REC, 279 YDs, 6 TDs.
    David Megget: 91 att, 954 YDs, 25 TDs, 44 REC, 1696 YDs, 20 TDs.
    Mark Ingram: 34 REC, 1497 YDs, 19 TDs
    Stephen Baker: 51 REC, 2172 YDs, 28 TDs
    Mark Bavaro: 51 REC, 1059 YDs, 18 TDs

Matt Bahr: 156/156 PATs

Avg 68.25 ppg.

I think this would be the team I'd pick to play. Two near 1,000 YD rushers, and four 1,000+ receivers, plus an accurate passer. You'd never know where the ball was going. Plus, the absolute most dominant defensive player ever in any football game, LT.

--------------------------

I also compiled (what I guess is) my best passing seasons: I think this was on the "easy" level.

John Taylor: 68 REC, 2819 YDs, 35 TDs
    Dexter Carter: 65 REC, 2038 YDs, 27 TDs
    Roger Craig: 56 REC, 2348 YDs, 37 TDs
    Mike Sherrard: 43 REC, 1534 YDs, 15 TDs
    Jerry Rice: 41 REC, 2775 YDs (67.6 yd avg.), 28 TDs
    Brent Jones: 28 REC, 613 YDs, 10 TDs
    Harry Sydney: 21 REC, 442 YDs, 7 TDs
    Tom Rathman: 12 REC, 152 YDs, 7 TDs

TOTALS: 334 REC, 12,722 YDs, 166 TDs

(And, that's only my passing TDs, but I probably didn't have too many rushing.... I might have only passed that entire season.)

13. JBIIRockets

Yeah, the 49ers and the Giants are the two best teams in the game.

And, personally, the team that gives me the most trouble is the Giants. They always put up a good fight. The AI of the Giants is especially good when an AFC team plays them in the super bowl. It's like Dave Meggett becomes Barry Sanders. Once he and Ottis Anderson get to the outside, they will not be caught.

14. francis 4 prez

OK, whoa, have I been missing something for the last 11 years. There are levels of difficulty against the computer?!! I have never seen that as an option on the game before and none of my friends have ever done it before. Is this the NES version we are talking about and if it is, then I gotta try this.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

DREAMer, what the hell are you doing with stats from when you played Tecmo? I think it's time you found a life!

;)

I still say I will beat you clowns with Bo Jackson and YES JB, the Raiders!!

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I remember playing that game for hours in College. My problem was I always played witht he Cowboys, so I did fine against the computer but against the good teams playing my friends it was never fun!
    Only thing I never liked about the game was the unwritten unstoppable pass play everyone had. It was different for ach team but it was usually a short slant which was impossible to stop, much less intercept. Evey blue-moon (maybe once a season the computer would let it be picked off).
    As I was playing with my friends we had to set up rules that each person could only throw that pass 2 times a game.
    But playing D with Singletary, Haley, or LT was always great. I didn't stand much of a chance when my best player ws jim Jeffcoat on D!
    But I agree it is the greatest game ever!

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I was unbeatable in the first game. I could beat my friends using the worst teams against the best. I think Seattle and Indianapolis were pretty bad if I remember correctly. I still couldn't be beat. Never will. And I didn't even own the game. I do remember the bears and giants could block every extra point.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What system is this game on if Bo Jackson is playing? Regular Nintendo or something? :eek:

You geeks might be good at those old timey games cause you are all old timers!

No one can beat me at NBA Street! NONONE! (well except for my brother).

I will also whoop your little pathetic asses at Hangtime on N64 and Mario Kart and GoldenEye I would beat you idiots with my eyes closed (I literally know how to move around in every stage in my mind! :eek: )

19. francis 4 prez

Yeah it's on regular nintendo. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm only 19. Also, you would beat my ass on MarioKart 64 but come on over to the Super Nintendo version and me and Koopa will destroy you. I also propose we don't get to use the little prizes cuz all those do is let the losers who are behind me catch up with red shells and lightnings.

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What does being 19 have anything to do with Super Nintendo and N64? Are you saying your little tiny brain cant handle an N64? :D You SUCK! When you graduate on over to N64 email me and I will come whoop your silly little ass. And stop making the excuses over shells and lightnings. We play with rules that you cant fall behind on purpose to get those prized possesions. But if you are legally in second then why not use em? Anyways you wont be anywhere close to me where turtles or lightnings will matter. I know so many shortcuts I will be done before your pathetic butt is done with half the race! Till you graduate over to my level talk to Crisco and his sorry ass about gaming systems for the dorks! (i.e PS1 or Supernintendo or TurboGrafx 16)