1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teaching in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Mar 6, 2023.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Its a crying shame that teachers pay are a little above minimum wage... The only teachers that are making close to 6 figures are High School Coaches...

A lot of the teachers buy supplies with their own money and they are not making a lot to start with. I mean daycare workers charge almost 200 a week for 1 child and you have teachers who are basically taking care of 20 to 30 kids...

They take a lot of crap from parents who will believe their child is such a freaking angel and would never do anything wrong. They get very little to no help from the school administration.

It's time for ALL the States to step up and pay the teachers...

T_Man

======================================================================================

https://www.yahoo.com/news/just-found-myself-struggling-keep-100009604.html

The data is in: More teachers than usual exited the classroom after last school year, confirming longstanding fears that pandemic-era stresses would prompt an outflow of educators. That’s according to a Chalkbeat analysis of data from eight states – the most comprehensive accounting of recent teacher turnover to date.

In Washington state, more teachers left the classroom after last school year than at any point in the last three decades. Maryland and Louisiana saw more teachers depart than any time in the last decade. And North Carolina saw a particularly alarming trend of more teachers leaving mid-school year.

The turnover increases were not massive. But they were meaningful, and the churn could affect schools’ ability to help students make up for learning loss in the wake of the pandemic. This data also suggests that spiking stress levels, student behavior challenges, and a harsh political spotlight have all taken their toll on many American teachers.

“Education had changed so dramatically since COVID. The issues were getting bigger and bigger,” said Rebecca Rojano, who last year left a job teaching high school Spanish in Connecticut. “I just found myself struggling to keep up.”

At risk: Despite 'teacher shortage,' coming layoffs could hit newly hired teachers of color hardest

The pandemic changed American education overnight: Some changes are here to stay.

Across 8 states, more teachers left the classroom following last school year
    Since the pandemic threw U.S. schools into disarray, many educators and experts warned that more teachers would flee the profession. But in 2020, turnover dipped in many places as the economy stalled, then in 2021 it ticked back up to normal or slightly above-average levels.

As this school year began, widespread reports of teacher shortages suggested that turnover had jumped more significantly.

Data was hard to come by, though. The federal government doesn’t regularly track teacher quit rates. Many states don’t either, with education officials in California, New Mexico, Ohio and Pennsylvania saying that they don’t know how many teachers leave each year.

But Chalkbeat was able to obtain the latest teacher turnover numbers from eight states: Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Washington. These figures encompassed turnover between the 2021-22 year and this school year.

In all cases, turnover was at its highest point in at least five years – typically around 2 percentage points greater than before the pandemic. That implies that in a school with 50 teachers, one more than usual left after last school year.

“I am struck by just how consistent these patterns are looking at all of these different states,” said Melissa Diliberti, a researcher at RAND, which has monitored teacher attrition during the pandemic.

In Louisiana, for instance, nearly 7,000 teachers exited the classroom last school year, or about 1,000 more than usual. That’s a turnover rate of 14%, up from between 11% and 12% in a typical pre-pandemic year.

Is there a teacher shortage? Here's what the data says.

There was variation among the eight states. Mississippi’s teacher workforce was the most stable: Turnover was 13% this year, only slightly higher than the two years before the pandemic. North Carolina saw the largest spike: 16% of teachers left after last year, compared with less than 12% in the three years before the pandemic.

For Kimberly Biondi, who taught high school English for 21 years in a district outside Charlotte, her reasons for leaving were wrapped up in the politics of education. She advocated for remote instruction as well as in-school safety rules, such as masking, but faced personal criticism from a local group opposed to these measures, she said. Biondi was also worried that politics could eventually limit what she taught.

“I taught AP language where we were supposed to teach very controversial work. I taught Malcolm X. I taught all sorts of philosophers and speakers,” she said. “I could only imagine how I would be targeted for continuing to teach this.”

Five decades and yet: The fight for African American studies in schools isn't getting easier

Other former teachers cited growing workloads and more difficulty managing student behavior.

Rojano said that student engagement plummeted as students returned to class in fall 2021, some for the first time in over a year. “A lot of these students are really hurting and suffering with intense emotional problems and high needs,” she said. “The needs just grew after the pandemic – I noticed a lot more emotional outbursts.”

It didn’t help, she said, that her class sizes were large, ranging from 25 to 30 students, making it hard to form close relationships with students. Plus, the school was short staffed and had many absences, forcing Rojano to constantly cover other teachers’ classes, losing her planning time.

Overworked, underpaid?: The toll of burnout is contributing to teacher shortages nationwide

She left in the middle of the last school year, something she never imagined doing because it was so disruptive for the school and her students. “It got so bad,” she said. “I was very overwhelmed and stressed. I was anxious and tired all the time.” Rojano ended up taking a job at an insurance company, where she is able to work remotely when she wants.

State reports hint that rising frustration has pushed more teachers out of the classroom. In Louisiana, the number of teachers who resigned due to dissatisfaction increased. In Hawaii, more teachers than usual identified their work environment as the reason for leaving. (In both states, personal reasons or retirement were still far more common explanations.)

While the eight states where Chalkbeat obtained data may not be representative of the country as a whole, there are signs that higher attrition was widespread. In a recent nationally representative survey from RAND, school district leaders reported a 4 percentage point increase in teacher turnover. Data from a handful of districts show a similar trend. For instance, turnover among licensed staff, including teachers, spiked from 9% to 12% in Clark County, Nevada, the country’s fifth-largest district. In Austin, Texas, turnover jumped from 17% to 24%.

Other school staff appear to be leaving at higher rates, too.

Hawaii experienced a jump in aides and service staff who exited public schools. North Carolina saw over 17% of principals depart last school year, compared to an average of 13% in the three years before the pandemic. The RAND survey also found a sharp increase in principals leaving.

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

After a right-wing cell phone company in recent years funded the election of right-wing extremist to our school board, we saw a record 19% turnover rate in teachers this year. School board members bragged about having a "hit-list" of teachers that they wanted out of the district. They began having "special closed-door sessions" to discuss the upcoming agendas and would not release the details until the school board meeting (thereby eliminating any public scrutiny or input at the meeting). They hired their own lawyers (on the school districts dime) to attend every meeting despite the district having attorneys on retainer already. (it was over $40K for the first 3 months alone). They routinely cut off people speaking out against their policies during the meeting, or asked for them to be removed, while not stopping their supporters, even though (in a yelling fit) he threatened sexual assault on the 'liberals'. One school board member was caught on tape at a Rangers game discussing how they were going to "get that B!t@h out of there" regarding one of the other board members..yet it was the board member on the receiving end of that statement who was reprimanded by the right wing board president for supposedly calling the other one a "B!t@h" - There was NO evidence and the supposed audio of it showed otherwise. The librarian quit at the end of last school year. Her replacement didn't even make it to the first day of school before quitting. The high school library is now closed before and after school, so the only time you can access it is during class..but going to the library is not an excuse for leaving class.

Yes the pandemic added to the stress, but most of this is due to right-wing propaganda-based war on teachers bundled with years of piling more and more crap on top of an already overbearing workload.

My wife literally works daily from 7am to 8-9pm each night..and then several hours every Saturday and Sunday. Teachers work more hours in 10 months than the average worker works in 12. And then the parents and politicians **** on them.

And we wonder why colleges are shuttering their education programs because people don't want to be teachers anymore.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

@AroundTheWorld how do you feel about the rhetoric you spew constantly here having real life impact on hard working teachers and librarians?

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/campaign-to-sabotage-texas-public-schools/

The Campaign to Sabotage Texas’s Public Schools

A school superintendent in Granbury, southwest of Fort Worth, told a group of librarians that if they aren’t conservatives, they’d “better hide it.” In the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, northwest of Houston, three trusted incumbent school board members lost their elections, largely over their support for a resolution condemning racism. Other long-serving school board members throughout Texas have suddenly found themselves having to defend teachers who have been labeled, without a shred of evidence, as pedophiles or “groomers.” A Grapevine high school imposed new rules that led to a student walkout, with students calling the rules transphobic. Texas recently took the national lead in book banning (a frequent target is The Bluest Eye,by Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison), and some school librarians who tried to hold the line against unwarranted censorship became targets of death threats.

Taken individually, any of these incidents may seem like a grassroots skirmish. But they are, more often than not, part of a well-organized and well-funded campaign executed by out-of-town political operatives and funded by billionaires in Texas and elsewhere. “In various parts of Texas right now, there are meetings taking place in small and large communities led by individuals who are literally providing tutorials—here’s what you say, here’s what you do,” said H. D. Chambers, the recently retired superintendent of Alief ISD, in southwest Harris County. “This divisiveness has been created that is basically telling parents they can’t trust public schools. It’s a systematic erosion of the confidence that people have in their schools.”

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is just wrong.
    • Minimum wage yearly for a full-time job is $15,080.00 per year.
    • Entry level in the Houston area is over $50k a year.
    • Even the low end (according to Salary.com) entry level is $40k, which is almost 3x minimum wage. This is in areas where the cost of living is much lower
    • My wife is a teacher (librarian now, will move to principal in the next few years) in Texas and I can tell you she makes far more than minimum wage.
    Yes, it's true there's a teacher shortage. The number one reason they're leaving is safety, followed by overcrowding in schools, followed by political pressure from the right.

It is absolutely true that the right is trying to both control what schools teach via censorship and offer private alternatives funded by tax vouchers. I can tell you from experience that private schools are terrible, the dollar is the bottom line and the kids suffer for it. Prisons and public Schools should never be privatized because the people suffer. If you want your kid out of school, there are options, but you still need to pay your taxes.

Kim, ima_drummer2k and Andre0087 like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

I bet the biggest reason for the teacher shortage is because of people's boorish behavior.

We also have a terrible shortage of sports officials.

Two different lines of work but dealing with the same groups of people, children, parents and to some extent administrators.

People, including children, are all too frequently horrible. Not to say everyone is but yea, I can see why nobody would want to be a teacher.

Not sure how many are exiting because of politics. I know people who have exited education. I don't hear "politics" as a reason they've left. Though assuredly for some that was a reason or the reason. I hear being treated consistently horribly by parents and children and feeling abandoned/frustrated by administrators.

Kim, JumpMan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I can only speak for the pay of teachers where I live and they definitely make more than minimum wage.

In Chicago teachers start around $60K and with experience can make over $100K fairly easily.

They also get very good benefits, and because of their union, they are very hard to fire.

I also know that teachers, if they choose to, can make extra money doing things like teaching extra curriculars or drivers ED, etc.

A friend of mine that is a school teacher in Chicago makes about 90K a year with more time off than most people. He did say it is an emotionally hard job though and the politics can suck.

Teachers at my kids school easily make over 100K a year, but it is a very well funded school and most the teachers have graduate degrees.

8. T_Man

This is the salary for Texas teachers...

https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educato...ry-schedule/2021-2022-minimum-salary-schedule

The salary for zero years is $33,660.00 a year... That comes out to =33660/(40*52) = $16.18 an hour.. For a teacher who has been there 10 years the salary is $45,630.00 a year... That comes out to =45630/(40*52) = $21.94 a year....

Minimum wage in Texas is $7.52 an hour that is basically a $8.66 an hour difference..

T_Man

No Worries likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

u are paid peanuts, have to deal with bad/disrespectful kids and their parents, right wing politics demonizes u at every turn calling u a groomer or pedophile, and any day your classroom could get shot up

not surprised at all that teachers would be leaving in droves

Phillyrocket, T_Man and Xerobull like this.
  10. Xerobull

That is not a mandated, flat rate.

No teacher is working for 33600, and school districts know it, so they pay more. Supply/demand exists.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

Are any Texas public school teachers actually being paid this minimum salary? Minimum being a word that you conveniently left out of your post.

12. T_Man

At the end of the day as @Reeko stated are being paid peanuts to deal with a lot of BS... Teachers, Police Officers, Fireman should be paid a helluva lot more....

T_Man

13. T_Man

What I stated is zero years... This is from the tea website... not anything I made up... https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educato...ry-schedule/2021-2022-minimum-salary-schedule

At the end of the day would you want to make that dealing with all the BS that comes with it???

T_Man

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

disagree with police officers being paid more…only if the standards for being a police officer were upgraded tremendously

I do think it’s borderline criminal what teachers get paid…when I hear about how many of them have to use their own dime to buy supplies for the class, it’s ridiculous

aside from just teaching, they are also therapists, baby sitters, and the 1st line of defense against a school shooter

Andre0087 and Xerobull like this.
  15. Xerobull

[​IMG]

Oh kay. My wife has been lying to me all these years and has somehow hacked the bank account to change her direct deposit to support her lies.

At any rate, you've fixated on me saying you're wrong. Go read the rest of my post.

Know why my wife and millions of others do it? She loves kids. She knows every kid in her school by name. It's her passion and it has it's own rewards beyond pay or stress. That's called a career, not a job.

Rileydog likes this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

This states that there is a minimum salary in place for teachers… not that any teachers are being paid this minimum salary. There is a difference.

My question is do you know of any teachers being paid the minimum salary? I know that every Houston area school district is pushing $60k for new teachers.

JumpMan likes this.
  17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Good ol Southlake

18. T_Man

Have no idea of what is being stated in your house hold and not even commenting on that point...

My point is that Teachers should be paid more.. I have an aunt and uncle who were both teachers and they also loved their job, but I would also hear them gripe about some of the help they don't get from the district... Parents they have to put up with... The politics they have to put up with...

Now I do know their is a difference between salary and teaching in a public and private school...

The kids that have your wife as a teacher are very lucky that they have someone so passionate about what they do.

T_Man

B-Bob likes this.
  19. T_Man

Yes I do...

And that would be great for them to push that 60k... It's been needed for a very long time...

T_Man

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So true.

My wife is a teacher (although she is now an interventionist who pulls groups of kids out of classrooms to work with them individually) and she's making a good chunk of change every year. Like twice what the minimum teacher salary is listed as in this thread. Granted, she's been at this for 25+ years, but my niece is also a teacher and she was making 50K a year her first year just a few years ago.

Also, Texas teachers have a pretty sweet pension plan. Once you hit your "number" (age/years of service) and retire, you get a nice payment every month for basically the rest of your life - unlike the typical cooperate 401(k) where once the money is gone, it's gone. Even if you get another job, that payment still comes every month so you can double dip and sub/tutor if you want. That's why my wife is planning on doing in the next few years when she's eligible. She might even get her realtor's license.

Xerobull likes this.